The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2003, 12:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default You tellum Gimp!

The average Confederate fought because his homeland was invaded and there was nothing illegal about leaving the UNION. The North simply forced us to stay in the Union. Had it been a "rebellion", we would have taken Washington the day after Bull Run.

Lincoln couldn't get enough volunteers to win the war and the average yankee didn't give a crap about slavery. Most were either farmers or working as almost slaves for northern industries. If the war was "about slavery" there never would have been a war. Lincoln was clear when he said that the South could keep their slaves, as long as they stay in the Union. So then why would the South fight? It was about too much federal power over the states, something that most Jeffersonian, (Thomas), Southerners didn't like and still don't like today. I think the war was all about oil. Peanut oil.

J.E.B. Packo
Culpeper Militia

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2003, 01:55 PM

Licoln never told the states they could keep their slvaes if they stayed in the Union, in fact there were three states that stayed in the union but had slaves and lincoln only stated the emanciaption proclamation was for southern staes only becasue if it were for the north too he would have lost the war because those three states were his key combat line states. they were right where the line was drawn. kentucky. missouri and west virginia. but because those states also relied on business from new england they were willing to fight for the union because if slavery were to be abolished in all states, they still had an alternative way of business unlike the southern states.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Not States rights or slavery, nope....

Gold, that was it, gold and silver, Lad. Just a few miles from my house is Ft. Churchill and that was put there to protect the Comstock gold and silver from the Texas Blackhats. That Confederate Cav outfit was alleged to be thundering over the next ridge any day to grab up the Union gold and silver. They never showed up but Nevada became a State as a result of the so-called threat and our state flag now has the inscription ?Battle Born?, but not so much of a shot was fired. Virginia City and there abouts was working alive with Confederate sympathizers so the Union Army just kind of hung out at Ft. Churchill; down the hill out in the flat lands, away from all those Virginia City/Silver City rowdies that were spoiling for a fight.

So as Paul said, ?Now you know the rest of the story?. My version is that we were invaded and occupied by them blue-belly Easterners that promptly swiped all our gold and silver and made off with it. Kind of like highly mobile, high-speed carpet baggers I?d say, LOL.

Scamp
Old 06-11-2003, 02:20 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

"THIS ONE'S REALLY GUNNA GET ME IN DEEP BOVINE MANURE!

From time to time, I have quoted "PART" of one of Abe Lincoln's little diatribes, it being:

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it!"

*Now here is the part that I have omitted in the past, also from Lincoln's same speech - "HIS WORDS, NOT MINE!!!!"

"Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their Constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it!"

Lincoln also wrote, first inaugural speech:

"If by the mere force of numbers a majority should deprive a minority of any "Clearly Written Constitutional Right", it might, in a moral point of view, justify revolution - certainly would if such a right were a vital one (1861)!"

Lastly, did not Thomas Jefferson (our third President) write in 1787:

"I hold it, that a little rebellion, is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Again - I am not smart enough or well placed enough to debate two of our greatest presidents (God Forbid), but their words leave little to interpretation! As such, and the latter statement being made by Numero 16 (Lincoln), you do have to puzzle over the decision to engage in the Civil War (Oops, pardon me Gimpy, I meant the "Thah War of Suthin Independence!"

"Well, what the hell, it all worked out in the end, and we became the greatest (united) nation ever conceived!" Still and all, it does make you wonder what in the hell Jefferson and Lincoln really meant, don't it!?

VERITAS Y'ALL

WILLIE TECUMSAH HARDCORE
Old 06-12-2003, 12:14 AM

Default free blacks

now what most of the history books don't tell is there were a lot of southern FREE black that fought for the south. they were not in separate units like in the north, their pay was the same if was pay to be given, unlike the north, the food was the same, not like in the north. they fought in the same units as their white comrades in arms and after the war was over they rode together in events together. the confederate statue in front of the old capital building was designed by a group of free black southern soldiers from mississippi, and it stands there today, the mississippi flag we have today which made national news because of the stars and bars on it was designed by a black Confederate soldier and was first voted on by a mostly black state legislators this was during reconstruction. what makes most of in mississippi mad i this state still lives under a part of reconstruction today, we have to have federal poll watchers, we can not redraw a district line unless the u.s. justice department approves of it. the u.s. supreme court ruled that what we call jerrymandering a district so a certain group of people can have a majority was unconstitutional. but not in mississippi. i feel this is not right and thats why we have a lot of hard feeling about this subject. what the biggest problem today is to many people not from the south watch to many movies and one sided books, a lot of people who talk bad about the south have never been to the south (mainly talking about mississippi.) to understand you have to be from here.

Rebel
Old 06-12-2003, 05:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I know

blacks that belong to the SCV. They are not barred from membership. They had free black ancestors, land owners, some were also slave owners, who fought for the CSA. Your are correct Rebel.

Young man, you better do some more research on Lincoln and his quotes. He said what I said.....now go find it.

J.E.B. Packo
Culpeper Militia

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 06-12-2003, 12:44 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool BBB

Regarding the War of Great Rebellion (that's what it says on the plaque on our city hall), those border states really were important. However you forgot one, Maryland. The first bloodshed of the war was when troops from Massachusetts arrived in Baltimore and were attacked by pro-south residents. Lincoln had the Mayor and most of the Aldermen arrested and thrown in jail without being charged with any crime!
Seeings old Abe is being quoted let me throw one in. He said, "I hope that God Almighty is on our side but we must have Kentucky on our side." Yep, there were a few pretty important states.
When in grade school we were learned all sorts of things that weren't so. For example R.E. Lee did not want to fight for the South but was forced into serving Virginia. The war was about nothing but slaves. Good was victorious over evil. In the '50s I'm sure some of my southern friends were taught something quite different. Clearly, the truth is somewhere in the middle.
My oldest kid was taught about the Civil War in the 80s. He walked away from the class not knowing who General Grant was, but he knew all about a woman named Tubman. (Talk about a P.C. education!)
Remain objective about the war, read about it with an open mind. And for God sake don't let Packo take you to Sheldon Church.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 06-12-2003, 01:29 PM

Bravo,

Juneteenth is right around the corner.

Whether you are black, white, gree, you are AMERICAN, and should be PROUD of it.

I am part Indian, but none wants to hear about Little Big Horn.

I done my Stint in the Navy and Proud of it and you should just keep on studying up on your causes, cause you have a right to.

I dont believe there is one single person on this site that is predujse (sp).

I have respect for you for posting and you have the respect and answers from alot on here that think the way I do.

DONT TAKE TIT SERIOUS ABOUT KEITH. I AM THE WORST NUT CASE AROUND, but he lets me interrupt everyonce in awhile.

enough and Salute............
Old 06-12-2003, 02:18 PM

Default It's agreed!!!!!!

on the NUT case portion, you qualify in the top 1%?
SF
NC
Old 06-12-2003, 04:01 PM

Default My 2 cents

Major causes of the Civil War: State Rights, sectional differences, economics, and the unspoken at the time, slavery expansion. Lincoln never said he would end slavery. He would not allow it to spread, and would not stop any State that chose to end slavery. Deep in it's heart, the South knew slavery as it was practiced would not last much longer.