The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2003, 09:53 PM

Default Pilot training

Im 14 and Im making the preparations to apply to Annapolis and then to become a Naval Aviator. I know im young and Im only a freshman, but I would like to have more of a clue of what I want to do. My life goal is to become a fighter pilot. For awhile it was the Air Force but now im convinced the Navy is for me. My family has provided with some info, from my dad, who was a Vietnam vet, and thinks I have brain damage because he doesn't know why in the world I would want to join the Navy ( he was Army). And my uncle who was in the Air Force, and is very biased and all he tells me is the Navy is gay ( no offense). And finally to my other uncle who was a Naval Aviator and flew in Vietnam. He persuaded me to join the Navy. The way he explained the excitement of landing on a carrier at night and to be where the action is just took me away. But above all I want to be one of the best and if at all possible I want to be the best. So I came to my own conclusion that Navy Fighter Weapons School was the way to go. But now Im not so sure the Air Force has a better pilot training program. So anyone out there who will not b.s. me, please help me.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:30 PM

Hi BBB,

My 18 year old son is interested in becoming a fighter pilot. I've spoken to various persons on this subject both Navy and Air Force and what I have concluded from all of the discussions is the Air Force has the best aviation schools in the world. Their specialty is aviation. Just think about it, the Air Force has the largest selection of airplanes to fly out of all of the branches.

The Airforce has the best living conditions out of all of the branches of service.

In spite of all of the great things I found out about the Air Force, my son is bent on joining the Marine Corps. Go figure. LOL Let your decision be what you are most comfortable with. Lot's of people are going to try to sway you, but you are the one who has to live with the decision. Let it be you decision.

just my 2 cents..
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 04:09 AM

Default Suggestion

Take a stringent physical now---to avoid disappointment later.

My older brother was accepted at the Air Force Academy, only to be turned away when it was discovered he had a very mild case of color blindness which he was totally unaware of.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:20 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default carrier landings

Sorry, but Imistakingly posted this as a new posting instead of a reply but here it is anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Your uncle found landing on a carrier at night to be thrilling. Talk about weird! Most of those swab jockies got their thrills on shore leave , but I suppose there was the occaisional oddball. Then again I am rather prejudiced since I was a member of the greatest military force on earth, THE UNITED STATES AIR FORCE! (Off we go into the wild, blue yonder! etc.)

In all seriousness, though, I wish you well in your (wrong) decision but the AF's loss will be the Navy's gain. Getting that complete physical like ONESIX suggestsis a good idea, the results of which could make the decision for you. And while you may not qualify as a fighter pilot (think good thoughts), there are many other "birds" that fly. Hell, even the Army has them! Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2003, 08:10 AM

Thank you all. This has helped me alot. Do you know how or where I could take this physical?
Old 08-01-2003, 05:36 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblackbravo Thank you all. This has helped me alot. Do you know how or where I could take this physical?

Contact your local recruiter. He could probably tell you of a clinic or something that could provide all the necessary military criteria of a physical.