Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Nelson DeMille...

Old 12-08-2003, 10:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Here is his email address :

nelson@nelsondemille.net

I just sent him one. I voiced my displeasure with the continuing portrayal of lies, Hollywood sterotypes, and all the rest that denigrates Vietnam veterans as a group.

Larry
Old 12-08-2003, 04:16 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb Blacky

Don Johnson a Ted Kennedy liberal does a movie for Ted Tuner married for years to that Jane woman. On the movie end of things, what would you expect? Would anyone think that a person who was transgender and wanted to legally marry his sheep would want to go on The Factor? No I haven?t seen the movie, nor will I.

Doc you mentioned an underground hospital in IV Corps. We found two tunnel complexes that included hospital facilities. One in the Hobo Wood and one just out side of Cu Chi. Any of the wounded who could hold a rifle did. I wasn?t in on those fights, they didn?t make most of their tunnels in my size.

In our A.O. there were a few international hospitals, however they were off limits for us AND we felt the treatment was only on a par with any decent medic. Plus, as James said, choppers were always a few minutes away.

One thing did make me laugh. ?I?m going to have the MP?s arrest you.? My last tour we worked with the same MP group that fought for Saigon and Ton Sun Nuth during Tet. They were good people and showed some guts but if someone told them to go into the field to arrest a grunt platoon, well, that would not have been an option, not even an idea, not even if they had tank and gunship support.

Young man if you would like to see a movie about Vietnam may I suggest, We Were Soldiers.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Andy!

Andy
I have some lovely souvenirs for you from Europe, including, but not limited to, a heartwarmingingly beautiful Refrigerator magnet from Stratford Upon Avon which you requested
PM me your mailing adress and Santa will drop it down the chimney if youve been a good boy

yr bro

James
Old 12-09-2003, 05:34 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default A Few Notes

Having heeded some of the comments of folks here that are relevant and pithy, I opted out of seeing another "let's make the Vietnam vets look bad" movie. Other than bad entertainment, there is also an ongoing agenda of the leftists of making the military the bogey-man of the 21st century, like they did before.

VC hospital complexes: in the largest weapons and ammo caches of the war, my platoon also found French-manufactured medicines, with a date of 1967 of the label, making the stuff virtually brand new. The Froggies have a long history of aiding and abetting our enemies, spanning now 2 centuries, no surprise here. MP's: during a major battle during Tet '68, a jeep-load of MP's showed up, and sat in their jeep taking pictures like tourists on vacation, until an NVA pulled a string on a grenade. To save us from this attack, one of the MP's fired a full magazine in the general area of where he thought the NVA was, missing everything except one of my troops, PFC Vielbaum, mortally wounding him in the neck. Within 10 seconds after the dust had barely settled, all .50 cal MG, M-60 MG and assorted small arms were pointed at the MP jeep, with rage being the most common denominator. I told the captain in charge of this group of idiots that I could only guarantee his safety for about 15 seconds, and if he wasn't gone, my men would probably send him into oblivion. (In researching his book about the Tet Offensive, Keith W. Nolan made contact with this captain, who later confessed his culpability in this friendly-fire incident, a load of guilt that he had been carrying for 30+ years.) Because of this incient and other bad encounters, needless to say, the Scouts didn't have a very high opinion of MP's.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 12-09-2003, 06:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Won't watch that movie. Read a book by the guy who wrote " the things they carried " about a politician who runs into the same type situation - think it was called Cabin in the Woods or some such. After talking to Tiny I guess I could be tried for war crimes. Only time I saw an MP was when I overturned a stolen jeep with a whore in a mail bag in the back seat running through an MP check point in Danang
Old 12-09-2003, 06:41 AM

DMZ,

I remember that - might be based on that story or a take off from it?

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 12-09-2003, 06:43 AM

oh yes, Tim O'Brien. Ive read part of his book "If I die in a combat zone, box me up and ship me home."