View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2003, 07:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Larry's right, I got my figures mixed up in the memory...

The most recent National Cemetery Administration figures are 18,613,500 living war vets, and 24,934,000 living vets total. Sorry...

If I'm not mistaken, politicians have been screwing us since the end of the Revolutionary War, about 225 years.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2003, 05:11 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Bluehawk

You're right about veterans being shafted by politicians since the end of the Revoluton. During the course of that war soldiers (Continentals, state and local militias) were promised either money or land grants for their service. When the war ended the script with which they were payed was virtually worthless and the land grants were sold to land speculators during the war under the guise of financing the war. The only soldiers who gained something financially were the officers who were eventually given what was originally offered, though it took a few years. The common soldier had to wait even longer (in some cases, over 20 years) and were paid in 1783 value of the money. It was the start of a long tradition of screwing US servicemen by the government.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:28 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Dan -
Wasn't it also the case that because of the valueless script issued to the troops under the Articles of Confederation (where each state had it's own printed money), it was the anger of the VETS which motivated leadership to begin considering a federalist kind of government (with a National Bank)... and from which our current Constitution derived?
Old 08-07-2003, 02:40 PM

Karen wants me to take some time and go visit The Wall, vice this replica that travels around.

She want to know and read the names, of which, none of them mean a thing to her.

The only reason I would want to see the real wall , would be to rub the name of a Very close friend of mine from Piqua Ohio that was killed after only 2 days in Nam.

Him and I use to open the Swimming Pool every Morning and Close it a night, and yes, the usual, get into fights over girls.

His name is Phil Wenwrick, and I will never forget him as long as I am alive.

There are fallen commrades that I have missed, but I try like Heck to forget them with the Viet Nam Conflict.

BUT YOU KNOW SOMETHING????

Once you were there, IT IS REALLY HARD TO DROP FROM YOUR MIND......

I know the GOD Blessed them all, over 53,000 and they are in the memories of even our grandchildren now, that the kids didnt even know, cause they werent born yet, but they read in schoool now and learn more and more about this War that happened to kill their Uncle or Aunt that they will never meet.

GOD BLESS ALL YOU VETS, AND LIVE SO TO AS TO MEET THEM ONE DAY. The only HELL they went through was going to Nam in the first place, so there aint no way that we wont see our friends in Heaven one day.

enough.....
Old 08-07-2003, 02:52 PM

reeb,

I think what you said was swell. We all have someone or more on that wall and its something that we will take with us to the grave. You can't forget who could. Deep down no body really wants to forget its part of us all and will remain that way until the lights go out.

I have great respect for all our kids doing their thing right now. I'd go but this old dog would be put into a cage so I'd better let them youngester's do their thing.

I think about them all everyday and I wish them well and a safe tour of duty.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-07-2003, 04:11 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Nicely said Reeb, and Boats...
Old 08-10-2003, 08:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I spent two months in D.C. in 1984 for a work related training class. I went down several times but just sat a long ways off and stared.
Finally went down and found the names of the 5 guys who were killed in an ambush together. The memory of them being brought out under a net in a Huey will always be with me. No matter what God-forsaken third-world shit-hole you may find yourselves in, no matter if the whole damned country thinks you are losers and fools for going, we stood up and took care of our own. No more and no less can you ask of any man.....

Larry
Old 08-11-2003, 02:03 PM

MORTARDUDE, WELL SAID AND DAMNED RIGHT!
Old 08-25-2003, 08:08 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

See, please, "Heart of a Soldier" post, way at the bottom of page 112 (the Last page) in GENERAL POSTS, navigate through intro and click on poem by the name above... about The Wall, about us.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sgt Tropo
I do have to coment on your last statement. about how we are not appreciated in Iraq. The one thing the news media does quite well is paint a negative picture of anything the military does. the Military has bent over backwards to help the media put together
a precise and accurate story about the war in Iraq. The only information we receive at home is what the biased media reports
and we are victims of their negative reporting. They did it in Vietnam and they're doing it in Iraq.
Sarg. ...these are my feelings only and I'll get off my soap box now . Thanks for listening
Bob K

God bless the ACLU