The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2006, 10:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Flying Space A?

One of the bennies of being retired from the Army is the opportunity to fly on a space available basis with the Air Force. Just wanted to know if anybody here has taken advantage of the system, and what were your results?

We're thinking about taking a space-A hop to Australia to visit my brother.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2006, 10:25 AM

We called them catching a HOP (normally stand-by). Only trouble with that is that you could go anywhere in the world they were going but there was no guarantee you'd get a HOP back so that was the big drawback.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 09-07-2006, 11:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Boats

Roger your last! As retirees, we are the lowest priority for loading, but the chance to save about $2500 per ticket is very intriguing. I've learned that weekly flights are made from the west coast, usually out of either McChord or Travis, then on to Hawaii, Pago Pago, Christhchurch NZ, then to Australia, with a couple of overnight stops along the way. I've already decided to save the big bucks, and use them instead for green fees!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 09-07-2006, 12:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Scout,

Not a retiree but hear through grape vine around here that you might have to get on like a waiting list, or you have to go hang around the airport until space becomes available. Don't know if any of that is true....but unless your in a big hurry, looks like the way to go!

Have fun...always wanted to see Austrailia.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 09-07-2006, 01:42 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Once, when I was in AF Band Camp, I made arrangements for a hop from Norton AFB in San Berdu to Westover AFB in MA, 3 months in advance. When I arrived to get on the flight I was told I was being bumped by a bird-colonel's son; who wasn't even in the military! Gawd! Was I pissed! Good thing I also made a 2/3 military reservation at LAX. It was bad enough being bumped, but by a gawddamn civie!
Old 09-07-2006, 03:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

revwardoc - if you were on active duty, no dependent, irrespective of rank of the sponsor, should have been able to bump you. If you check the priority of loading list, he would have been near the bottom.

Paco - I fully understand the "hurry up and wait" potentiality with the stand-by system, but patience, with some situations, is something that I can practice with a smile. Given the opportunity to play golf at some really neat places - Pago Pago, New Zealand, Australia - should be ample patience food!

Old 09-08-2006, 02:57 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Scout,

I couldn't agree more and protested loud and long, but was told that I could yell until I was AF Blue in the face, I wasn't getting on that plane. There wasn't much a lowly E4 could do at that point.