The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2003, 04:59 PM

Thumbs down Sin Loi

The form letter I received today from John J. Senk, Jr, Adjutant General of the VFW begins:

"Dear Fellow Veteran:

It is my great pleasure to invite you to join us as a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States.

Your name was referred to us during a nationwide search for the select few individuals who have served our nation overseas in the United States Armed Forces at a time of foreign conflict or action and who have not yet joined the ranks of the VFW.

Blah, blah, blah, blah,.............."

Well, John Senk, Sin Loi. In total violation of your Congressional Charer, you didn't want me when I returned from Vietnam in 1969, and now, Bro, I don't want you.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2003, 06:38 AM

Not my experience at all onesix. They have always helped in the the two posts I have been around.I joined thirty years ago and they have always been there to help.

We are not the joiners that World War II and Korean vets were. And you ran into some 10 percenters, too bad.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:02 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Not my experience.

My son and I are both life members. Me from Vietnam & Panama service. Him from service in Kosovo.

Darrel
Old 07-30-2003, 12:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I suppose it all depends on the mindset of the Post involved. My guess is that the VFW is not monolithic and without a national protocol, or at least that?s the way it was once upon a time. My one and only VFW experience came just after my VN experience and I wasn?t impressed at all. That particular post had been consumed by the John Burch Red Scare mentality, and of course, I thought that a bit humorous and not very realistic. One thing led to another and I got unceremoniously booted from the premises. But alas, some of my favorite memories come from various VFW halls. In western Kansas, it is very usual to rent the VFW hall for a wedding reception and as my various cousins got all married up, I?d go back and join the happinings. Good times for sure and the various post members seemed to turn a blind to a lot of stuff and just go with the flow. Good thing they did, LOL.

Scamp
Old 07-30-2003, 06:16 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I got treated badly once when I was in the service. It's sin loi for me joining too.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default While working for the VA

I found the best NSO in the world. (National Service Officer) His name is Jim Ward, retired Marine, and works at the VARO in Winston-Salem, NC. He is retireing soon and will be a devastating loss. NOBODY I ever met did more for my patients and any Vet in his care than Jim. He worked for the VFW.

Also while with the VA, before our Vet Center was opened, the VFW Post let me use their facilities. Much nicer than having to meet with my patients at the VA hospital. They had me as their guest speaker for the Veterans Day Parade, provided coffee for the Vet Center, and advertised in the paper for me and the center for free. The American Legion in town wouldn't even come to our grand opening, and gave me a ration of shit when I first visited them telling me we weren't even "real Vets" etc., yet another Legion post, right accross the state line, provided food, beverages, and all the help I needed. I worked in a 4 state area and in 3 of them the VFW let me use their facilities for outreach. You and Fred just hooked up with some dorks. Please don't judge the whole organization on the basis of a few. Gee, it would be like judgeing all the Vietnam Vets because of a few losers in our ranks.

I support all the fine work these organizations do. Without them, we would have no benefits at all. Guarenteed, no matter who's running the country.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 07-31-2003, 06:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Second the Endorsement

Recently, I had reason to transfer my membership into a different VFW post. At the very next meeting, I was given a hat, (never even heard mentioned at the previous Post), offered a VFW golf-type shirt, and was formally introduced to the other members, who rightly or wrongly, voted to let me stay! Our post is involved in several activities in the community, from sponsoring the annual PRC Rodeo on the Fourth of July weekend, assisting with Habitat for Humanity, sponsoring the Boy Scouts, and the Civil Air Patrol, and having bingo for the paying public every Friday nite. These are some world-class gentlemen, ready and able to help others in the community, many having donated time and energy to manning the VA Clinic in nearby Austin. BOTTOM LINE: there are assholes in every walk of life, and it is my task to seek discernment to know how to avoid them.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 07-31-2003, 08:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Wink

Even though I would question any club that would have me as a member I have enjoyed the VFW and Legion. My Dad signed me up for the VFW and handed me the card the day I got home friom Bitnam
Old 07-31-2003, 10:03 AM

Default Paco

I know of Jim Ward. He has an outstanding reputation. Nevertheless, when I first moved to the area in 1995, he was the first one I called and couldn't get the time of day. About that time, I met Coy Hennis at the GSO Vet Center's 10th Anniversary Party and he signed me on as a lifetime member of the DAV. They have had my power of attorney ever since.

I'll give Jim the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was overworked or stressed out when I called, but I had a serious problem with the VA at the time due to a move from Honolulu to the Piedmont-Triad area, and needed immediate assistance, not a put off.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Onesix

I would never be the one to say it didn't happen, and if you say it did, it did. But....I could bring you 50 of my patients that would say otherwise. He could have been overwhelmed when you called, who knows.....we both were totally overwhelmed at the time. Just one example is when my dear friend Cosmo died from AO related cancer. Once it was finally approved by the VA they sent his widow a huge check. It turned out that they had grossly overpaid her. When they tried to get the money back she and I called Jim immediately. That day we had an answer....he had got the VA to eat the mistake and she and the children were able to keep the money. The DAV in Winston does (did?) a great job and they had my POA until recently. I am now with PVA because the DAV office in Columbia is the worst I've ever seen. I am still a Life Member of the DAV, even though I wouldn't let that office tie my shoe. I think maybe Jim was having a bad day when you called. I would stand up and appologize for that man anyday. Glad you've had good luck with the Winston DAV office and hope they are still doing a great job. Is that dork Michael Hauser still at the Vet Center in GSO? He wouldn't know a Vietnam Vet from a hunk of cheese. He saw more wannabee's than anyone in Vet Center history and could never figure it out.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)