The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2003, 05:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to hooah Send a message via AIM to hooah Send a message via Yahoo to hooah
Lightbulb I need help for school

Project for English

I have to write a 3 page report on the decade of the 1930's. I chose the topics of politics, U.S. Government, and technology-specifically military.

If anyone can help me out with sites, pictures, or any information that they would have, I'd appreciate that a lot.

I found some info on the net, but the thing is, I didnt really find any sites for technological advancements for the military, but any help would be useful.

Thank you guys!

You can find us in the horizon...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2003, 05:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

A few ideas....if you are only going to write a few pages, you need to have a very specific mission statement. The 1930s were a very low point as far as the U.S. military went. There are classic pictures of U. S. Army troops drilling with wooden rifles, cardboard tanks and riding horses...

Larry
Old 11-06-2003, 06:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Daniella -
"Darrel's Joy" is an engineer, very knowledgeable about military technology and the related issues of history... may be worth asking her PM?
Old 11-06-2003, 06:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

There wasn't a lot going on with the Land Army or Navy during the 30's as most of came when the writing was really on the wall and almost too late. However, the Army Air Force developed the B- 17 Flying Fortress during the 30's and that would be a super topic. The B17 went on to be a major player during WWII and some say it made the difference in Euorpe. This aircraft was designed and built by Boeing and was a real winner. I'm sure there are a ton of B-17 sites as that is a real popular topic.

Another topic that may work would be the M1 Garand rifle which turned out to be the best infantry rifle of WWII, bar none. The M1 saga is just packed full of politics and just plane crazyness. The designer; Garand, was known to flood his house in the winter so he "could ice skate and think" Yikes!!!!! Get that man a trank shot and a straight jacket.

Scamp

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:57 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Here is a website that may be useful, has some pics of the planes.
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/resea...ck/a2/a2-1.htm

I read that early gliding was started sometime in the 30's.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:20 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Not too much advancement in military hardware. There was no "war" going on.

The U.S. Model 1903 Springfield Rifle,
Manufactured 1903 to 1945, this rifle replaced the Krag-Jorgensen and was the primary U.S. Battle Rifle until 1936, when it was replace by the M1 Garand. In 1942 Remington Arms redesigned the rifle using stamped parts and designated it the 1903A3. The '03 rifle saw service all the way into the early stages of the Vietnam War, were it was still utilized as a sniper rifle in the form of the 1903A4.

The U.S. M1 Garand .30 Rifle,
Originally developed in the 1920's for the .276 Caliber by Canadian born, John Garand, an employee of the Springfield Armory. The Army did not want to adopt a .276 gas operated rifle and asked that a 30.06 version be developed. The M1 was finally adopted by the U.S. Army in 1936.

During WWII the Garand was used in both theaters. It was well liked by the G.I. and could operate successfully in harsh climates, both extreme cold to hot tropical.

The M1 was the main U.S. battle rifle in Korea and was still mass produced until 1957 when the U.S. Army adopted the M14 Rifle.

colt 45 handgun
Throughout American History, Colt's weapons have given American Servicemen the confidence to succeed in combat. As the Colt Walker and Peacemaker revolvers contributed immeasurably to American success in past conflicts, Colt's 1911 pistols and their descendents were in the hands of confident, WWI, WWII, Korean and Vietnam American Servicemen.

30.06 cal machine gun Browning watercooled
QUOTATION
"In May 1917, the name of the mysterious gun designer was revealed. The Machine Gun Board's call for submissions drew two entries from one of the towering figures in gun design, John Moses Browning. When he appeared to present both his candidates, a heavy machine gun and a lightweight portable machine gun, the board members were not at all prepared for what they would see.

"Water-cooled, belt-fed, and weighing thirty-six pounds, the Browning heavy maching gun fired the standard Springfield .30-'06-caliber rifle cartridge. During the test, Ordnance men fired twenty thousand rounds of ammunition through the Browning at six hundred rounds a minute. There was not a single jam, not a single hitch. This feat seemed so improbable that the Machine Gun Board appeared to doubt what it had just seen.

"To show that this wasn't a fluke, the commanding figure of John Browning himself stepped up to the firing line with another Browning machine gun. He set it to firing automatically while he casually linked together belts of ammunition that fed endlessly through the gun, which fired continuously as the minutes ticked by. Box after box of ammunition belts were opened and attached to the previous belt, and box after box of belts with empty cartridges came chattering out the other side. The gun ran like a sewing machine, without overheating, without jamming, without laboring. Finally, the only thing that stopped the weapon was the board. When it signaled for an end, the Browning heavy machine gun had fired for forty-eight minutes and twelve seconds. The Browning had entered the munitions world by destroying all records for performance and reliability.

"Then, as a grand finale, Browning the salesman - the showman - stepped before his machine gun and tied a blindfold around his eyes. With no tools, he disassembled the gun, reducing it entirely to its seventy component parts. Then, still completely blindfolded, he reassembled the gun with an elapsed time of fifty-five seconds. So important was this feature in battle, blindfolding became part of the standard military training program when the gun was issued to American troops."

Over the next eighteen months 57,000 of these guns were produced for soldiers fighting on the Western Front.

Model 1928
Thompson submachine gun, U.S. Navy Model of 1928, with Cutts compensator. (George Goll)
In a catalog published by Auto-Ordnance in the 1930's this model is referred to as the "Navy Model," .45 caliber. The U.S. Navy ordered 500 of this model and helped keep struggling company alive. It was used by U.S. Marines in Nicaragua and was described as very effective in the jungle fighting. The catalog also notes this gun was then in use by the Army, Navy and Coast Guard. The "Navy Model" utilizes the horizontal foregrip, compensator and sling swivels although it was offered either with vertical or horizontal foregrip, with or without the compensator. The cyclic rate of fire was reduced to 700 rounds per minute.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
.... Coolidge

Old 11-07-2003, 02:03 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Lightbulb I believe there was a movement to use air power to attack

ships, Daniella, you may want to look into Billy Mitchell. He was one of the first advocates to use Army Air Corps bombers with respect to attacking ships at sea. There was a huge storm of controversy over it and the General was eventually court martialed.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 11-07-2003, 06:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hooah......

I just remembered something. A couple of years back there was a movie released called the ?Memphis Belle? and was the true story of a B-17 Flying Fortress named Memphis Belle and the crew during WWII. This movie may be at your local video store and as I recall Billy Zane had a role in the movie. Lot of good stuff about what each crew member did and other good background stuff.

Scamp
Old 11-07-2003, 08:05 AM

Daniella,
I was in WW2, that is a little past the dates you want. I have a Japanese sword with old Japanese writing on the hilt, also my uncle was in Philippines in 1930's and I have 6 or 7 straight razor's and the strop to sharpen the razor's

Art
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helicopter.jpg (73.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-07-2003, 01:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to hooah Send a message via AIM to hooah Send a message via Yahoo to hooah

Thank you guys.

Im gonna look into all the suggestions you guys gave me.

you guys helped me a lot!

You can find us in the horizon...