The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2006, 08:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 
Unhappy 2006 deer hunt

Well folks hunting season is here again and I was lucky enough to draw a doe tag for the area I live in and my son did also .After the first week Iv'e past on 5 doe's and one spike and seen a huge buck in the headlites on the way home but it was too dark and I won't shoot after dark. I just had a great day hunting with my Son and I told him I might Pop a doe this week and do the dogging for him next weekend. the things we will do for our kids.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:01 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Chris,..

...got out both Sat., and Sun....

...went to "Dicks',to get a new set of "split-fires", and ended up outfitting my son also, they had 'rocky boots on sale for $39.00, so I bought him 2 pair, one size 4, one size 7 for next year, a full camo set of coveralls, gloves, hat from last year, and a bug net,...

...took him out, and laid out a few differnt scents, and out come the does for a look/smell, managed to keep his attention for a few hours all while BEING QUIET, amazing for a six year old,with questions ranging from what kinds of leaves match what kind of trees, to, DAD WHAT'S THAT, which happened to be a form of milipede, it was red, very thin, and ON HIS ARM,...

...GOOD DAY,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:06 PM

Distinctions

curtis any day in the woods with your kid is a real blessing
Old 10-23-2006, 07:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Chris,...

...yea if it's one thing to do before I die, I said I'm gonna take the kid out in the woods hunting at least once, and start to show him the right way, My Dad got me fishing, but couldn't go hunting, the boy scouts got me shooting, yes a 10 year old with a .22, and getting to shoot it on a real rifle range, ah the innocence, first shot with a 35 lb. recurve then also, was hooked all around,...

...He dragged his feet, and every ten minutes or so, it would be shush, quiet please in a faint wisper, but there is nothing like seeing a kid in their first hunting garb, and their first march up the hill into the great forest,........................

...plucking leaves as he went, brought home a vibrant Maple with yellow, and reds, and pockets bulging full of accorns, through as many water holes as possible with new water proof boots, "CAN I REALLY WALK IN THE WATER",..................................yes you can really walk through the water, OH YEA,........................ ( first hole up to his knees, but what else would you have expected), he didn't care his boots were dry,(( so was the suit as I waterproofed it the night before)), and SMUCK as I grabed a wrist, and pulled him out,......

...it's more fun when they do it, ,..

...The hard part was, Dad??, why do boy deers like girl deers pee???????,...

...(Bob, leave this one alone)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Doc.2/47

We have a lot of TVA land adjoining Normandy lake open to public hunting.

That land to the right of the highway (probably a ways to the right of the pic.)is where my Son took his first muzzleloading deer(a doe);it was also his first deer taken entirely on his own. She was drinking from the lake and on the shot(a heart shot)she jumped forward into the lake. He went right in after her. Both were pulled out by fishermen in a boat and transported back to the highway. This was good as it was aprox. 18 degrees and by the time he had dressed,loaded,and tranported her the 4-5mi. back to the house both he and the deer were completely encased in ice.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

18 degrees, what is that?
The last hunt I was on I had shorts on.
I shot a 8 point about 4 years ago with my 50 cal Hawkins. That was the last time I hunted Horns. Can't eat horns.

Ron
Old 10-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Doc.2/47

Ron-

Have to agree about the horns. Big racks haven't meant anything to me since it became obvious that a man with enough money could get one without much effort or hunting skill.

In my little neck a the woods we're allowed something on the order of 120-130 does/season but only 3 bucks. So I try to avoid shooting bucks unless it has a rack better than anything I've taken before. Also we no longer have to leave and check in what we've shot until the end of the day and then check them all in at once. With that, cold weather is a good thing to avoid spoilage.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:53 PM

Distinctions

I passed on 5 does today its getting cold low 40's tonight so the RUT can't be far away I have until holloween to shoot a doe so I keep passing on them I might pop a big barren doe if i'm sure there are no fawns around.