The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2002, 02:13 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Update On Tamaroa Maritime Foundation Status

No doubt many of you cringe when "Tamaroa" once again mentions that rusty old tug boat but I can't help but feel there are some of you out there (right Jeff?) who ,might be interested.

Below are some statistics of what we TMF members have compiled relative to getting this 1943 vintage 205 foot 1730 ton behemoth of a tug back in operating condition.

Since April, we have utilized over 1200 man hours on direct volunteer work, (not counting night time watch standing or travel). Approximately 1,200 man hours on administrative work between Tom Robinson, Serge, Bill Doherty,Tom Reinhart, Shirley Jaeger and Harry Jaeger. Another 100 man hours for R. C. Dawson and his wife Candy, for administrative assistance and 20 man hours for our attorney. About 100 man hours for The Virginia State Fair. 50 hours of volunteer machine ship assistance.

The value of supplies, tools equipment and material donated, probably exceeds $4000. The total, actual expenses, are $14,640.

We just had a crew of 7 people for 2 days last week at the U. S. S. SENECA and a crew of 4 people for 2 days this week. We retrieved about 200 items with an approximately value of $9000.00. Some are irreplaceable and others are antiques.

We have received approximately $9000.00 in donations. Northrop/Grumman has acknowledged receipt of our grant application. They say we should hear something in January 2003.

So there are a dedicated cadre of about 60 guys and a few ladies taking turns every other weekend spending time and money on the old girl to get her into the shape required to be used as a training ship for njrotc cadets, sea cadets and sea scouts. For more on the "DAMN TAM" as I used to call her, please visit www.tamaroa.org.

Thank you,

Bill Doherty
TMF Historian

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2002, 05:22 PM

Tamaroa,

What a grand idea. I'll read more about it on the website and to find out how I may contribute. Since I'm on the west coast, it isn't likely I could volunteer on a weekend.

Take care and keep the project going...

Philly
Old 12-04-2002, 07:41 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Membership Drive Tamaroa Maritime Foundation

Hi everybody! In October, we officially started our membership drive. 40 bucks buys you a year in the Tamaroa Maritime Foundation. To date these are the stats:

47 Known Tamaroa Sailors contacted - - Received 5
28 Known Zuni Sailors - - Received 6
206 Assorted Others - - Received 29

Total Received 40

We have mailed, emailed or handed out 281 applications since mid October. That's just a shade over 14% returned so far. We estimate it will cost a total of about 300,000 to totally rebuild her and abour 125,000 a year to operate her. we plan on at least 4 voyages a year training sea cadets, sea scouts and NJROTC cadets. If you have seen our site, www.tamaroa.org , you know what a handful we have, she is 205 feet long and displaces 1730 tons. When I served on her in 1967 we had a crew of 60 men and 6 officers. So there is a lot of room for cadets. we have already had one NJROTC unit aboard. It is a blast regaling them with tales of our past plus teaching them how to stand engine room and deck watches.

We have a long way to go but there are about 60 hard core folks who are bound and determined to see her succeed. I first saw her rusting away at pier 86 in NYC in 1994. By next May we will be under way.

Regards,

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-006f1.jpg (41.3 KB, 73 views)

King John 2.1.466
Old 12-04-2002, 08:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Your cause...

...is a noble one, and "cringing" at one's post of their passion isn't how it goes around here, I do appreaciate the updates as one who prefers older aircraft, but your tug is "your baby", and we all respect that...
...where is the restoration being preformed?, NJ???...

... get a week , and run it up the Hudson, we'll do some striper fishing in May...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-015f2.jpg (43.5 KB, 69 views)

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 12-04-2002, 08:42 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Hey, SJ, she's in Baltimore now. all engines up and running and the prop turns. The Navy has been good to us. They have an ATF (Auxiliary Tug Fleet)in the James river Fleet former USS Seneca that they allowed us to remove a lot of equipment from so that we can restore the TAM to her former glory.

Ironically the first organization I tried to get to save her was here in New York, I live in Rockland County. However, they did not have the resources. I am working with guys in Richmond, Virginia now which will be her home port in May.

I got a promise from them that we will take her up the Hudson. Maybe we can fish for stripers in a year or so near Troy. She has a deep draft ,18 feet, but we went to albany once so we can do it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-021f4.jpg (39.6 KB, 61 views)

King John 2.1.466
Old 12-07-2002, 10:18 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Hello all:

Seeing the JacksJoint link brought to mind two stories that are there regarding my old cutter the Tamaroa. If you all have time and will indulge me, please visit these stories for what I hope is an entertaining read.

http://www.jacksjoint.com/my_love_af...he_tamaroa.htm

http://www.jacksjoint.com/tamaroa.htm

Thanks,

BillD.

King John 2.1.466