Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2003, 04:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Another reality TV star is under fire for bad behavior

Posted 6/9/2003 2:02 PM Updated 6/9/2003 7:57 PM

Another reality TV star is under fire for bad behavior

By Cesar Soriano, USA TODAY

Rob Campos, the 33-year-old hunky star of NBC's For Love or Money, left the Marine Corps after drunkenly groping a female Navy officer in 1999, the network acknowledged after it was reported on TheSmokingGun.com web site.

In a statement Monday, NBC and producers Bruce Nash Entertainment said the incident was not discovered during routine background checks of potential contestants, and that Campos was not forthcoming.

"I have apologized to NBC and Nash for not informing them about the incident," Campos said in a statement. "I had believed that it was a private matter that had been resolved."

The show, which has completed filming, will continue airing as scheduled. For Love or Money (Mondays at 9 p.m. ET/PT) debuted to strong ratings last week and is scheduled to conclude July 7. It airs Mondays at 9 p.m. ET/PT. The show follows 15 women vying to win the bachelor's heart. The twist, which Campos did not know while the show was filmed: the woman Campos picks as his "true love" will win $1 million if she dumps him.

The groping incident was first reported Monday by the Smoking Gun, which has specialized in disclosing reality stars' indiscretions. The site's editor, Andrew Goldberg, says the Court TV-owned site learned about it after receiving a tip from a source who knows several of Campos's former girlfriends.

NBC says it became aware of the incident from The Smoking Gun on Friday, explaining that "the incident is not public record" and therefore was not found by an investigator hired by the show.

"Obviously the (investigators) aren't doing a very good job," Goldberg said. "They probably were relying on his word more than they should have."

Campos joined the Marines in 1998 and was accepted into the Judge Advocate General (JAG) program. The female officer, who was a JAG classmate, told The Smoking Gun that Campos entered the female barracks drunk and grabbed her breasts. She said she kicked him the groin and escaped. She did not report the incident, but word eventually got back to the Naval Criminal Investigative Service.

Campos was kicked out of JAG school, ordered to undergo substance abuse treatment and was transferred to a dead-end desk job. He received an early, honorable discharge in June 2000.

Campos, a practicing attorney, suggested the woman was at fault. "She was making advances toward me," he told The Smoking Gun. Campos said he was too drunk to remember specifics but suggested the woman was upset that he could not perform sexually. But in the statement Monday, Campos changed his tune. "I have acknowledged that I behaved inappropriately," he said.

On Monday afternoon, the show's Web site was updated to delete Campos' bio, which had described him as "keen, intelligent, honest and hospitable."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...d-marine_x.htm

Smoking guns article.......
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/doc_o_day/doc_o_day.shtml

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links