The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Memory

Memory

I remember Sept. 8,1945, we were advance occupation force going to Korea..
The first one to see a floating mine would received a 25 Dollar War Bond.. Any one ever heard some thing like that or are my senior moments getting mixed up.

Cadetat6
Old 07-20-2005, 02:08 PM

Your memory is still good - mate - (see below) here is one reward I found posted - I'll keep looking for ya -

The USS TANEY was under orders to convoy the USS WRIGHT AV-1 to Midway. The
Wright was a sub tender.
About two days out we received the news that a huge naval battle was under way at Midway
__ June 4, 1942.
Our laundry was running about 24 hours a day - hot - a regular steam bath. About 2200
hours Johnson stepped out of the laundry for a breath of fresh air, taking a short stroll to the
weather break and as he leaned against the roll, his shoes being wet, he slipped and went over
the side. Keeping his cool he was able to get his feet against the ship and with a big push he
was out far enough to clear the propellers. He was sucked under and then the wake was
something to stay afloat in. No one on the TANEY knew of the accident. Kicking off his
shoes and shorts he could see the TANEY disappear in the darkness. Conforming to Navy
rules we were running a zig zag course and the chances of the Wright passing close enough to
be heard was one in a thousand. But it came about 500 feet from Johnson. Johnson a nice
quiet fellow could see this was his last chance. So he began to yell and cry for help.

The bow lookout aboard the Wright heard and reported it to the bridge. Minutes later the
Wright lowered a motor lifeboat, it went in the direction of the cry for help. The first pass the
boat went by but Johnson kept yelling and splashing water. As the boat came close Johnson
grabbed the gunned and swung aboard. About 1/2 hour later the TANEY received a call.
"Have you a C. K. JOHNSON aboard." The TANEY's answer was affirmative. "Well we
have him now and you can have him at Midway."
The executive officer aboard the WRIGHT gave Johnson some clothes. The TANEY gave
the bow lookout a War Bond. Johnson was a Pearl Harbor survivor, passed away a couple of
years ago (1993) but this experience he never forgot. Homer T. Compton.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote