The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default M-16 repacement parts

In aug 1967 "they" came and took our aluminum bolts and gave us this black cast iron bolt, (never jamed after that)
around Jan 1968 "they" came and took our three prong flash suppessor and gave us this round thing, I asked, How are we going to open cases of C-rations now, What a pain that was.
I spent time unwinding the wire.
Some may have never got to feel the experiance of the Bang, Bang, Click, oh shit, aluminum bolt.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2003, 12:19 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Being Mech-Borne, we carried a lot of cases of C's in our tracks. We had one old M-16 with a three-prong suppressor and it was ideal for popping that wire.

Larry
Old 12-08-2003, 04:31 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Wink hey

Larry, I don't believe you did that! We kept an old 16 for the same reason! And your right, an APC was a 13 recreational vehicle filled with ammo, beer and C-rats. We hung our duffel bags, with our personal stuff off the side, partly in an attempt to slow down RPGs. Well, at least during the dry season they hung over the side. Did you guys fly any flags on the antenna's? We had souther flags, state flags etc. A pair of blue panties hung from our antenna.

Ron, During a mad minute in July(?) of 67, armed with the old M-16 I had a weapon that went bang, bang, Boom. The bolt exploded, no I don't know how that happened but it was bent when I picked it up and looked at it. Yes, not only the ARVN's dropped there M-16's. Anything that explodes in my hands, I drop, quickly.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 06:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Being the platoon leader I had an extra antenna on my track. I tied it down. 1st platoon leader had 5 purple hearts and had bullseyes painted on both sides of his track. About my third dismounted fire fight my 16 went click and I carried an AK the rest of my tour
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 06:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default We Be Jammin

I never had an M16 jam on me in combat but the CAR15 they gave me in Recondo School jammed so many times on the range I mostly took out an M2 carbine I got from some Sp Forces guys.
It was a sweet little gun, especially short range, with a 30 rd mag that the M16 didn't have at the time., here's a picture of one I got in St Mere Eglise