The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Marines

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2002, 10:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to eMOM PAO
Thumbs up Commandant's Letter to a Marine Pilot's Son

Commandant's Letter to a Marine Pilot's Son

There can never be a substitute for the loss of a father. But this goes far (I believe) in putting the tragic loss in perspective. As this young boy continues to grow and mature, I believe the letter will continue to generate emotional strength and support for him.

The original sender of this letter notes:

"Experienced a rich blessing today. I met my wife in 1988 through a Marine pilot married to her sister. He died in a crash in October 1991, just weeks after returning from Desert Storm. The crash was caused by a maintenance contractor using a batch of oil that had caused a previous crash and was supposed to have been destroyed. Senseless tragedy.

I was able to give their son Sean, now 13, a tour of the Pentagon today. The best part was when the Marines gave him a tour of the Commandant's office, then presented him with the letter below, signed by the Commandant. Sean says it was the best part of a 2-week trip to the East and on the way to the airport was treating that letter like it was the Hope diamond.

I'm just awestruck once again, by the human compassion, grace and goodness displayed by the Marine Corps."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

16 July 2001

Dear Sean,

You have lived ten years - most of your boyhood - without your father's presence. You and your mother are commended for a difficult job well done. In the next ten years you will face the greater challenge of becoming a man. Your father loved to fly and it was his dream to be a good pilot and a good Marine.

In the coming years, you must also discover what you love and strive to do it with excellence. Marines are built through the ethos of struggle and sacrifice. Many, like your father, have sacrificed all. The nation expects her Marines to succeed under the most trying conditions in some of the toughest places on earth.

From deserts, to jungles, to mountains and war-torn cities, we must be rugged and strong to persevere, but we don't stand alone. We persevere and succeed as a team.

As you grow up without your father, you too live daily with struggle and sacrifice. I charge you to grow rugged and strong through this, but with the knowledge that you don't face these struggles alone.

Walk with people who help you learn to thrive in the tough places. Your father succeeded in becoming a good pilot, a good Marine, and a good man. As you grow into manhood, seek out and listen to good men who can help you along the path you have chosen. Find friends who are also committed to becoming good men, friends that can walk the path with you.

Your father loved, respected and cared for your mother. He was the man of your family, and your mother trusted him above all men. Now you are the man of the family and are charged with loving, respecting and caring for your mother, and earning and guarding the trust she places in you.

Remain faithful to the service and sacrifice and courage your father valued.

That is his dream for you.

Semper Fidelis.

/signed/
JAMES L. JONES
General, U.S. Marine Corps
Commandant of the Marine Corps

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Public Affairs Director
eMail Our Military Campaign (eMOM)

Sending Support, Encouragement & Appreciation!

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links