The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2005, 06:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default The Sara, (CV-60)

Subj: USS Saratoga - Memorial Day Challenge
Date: 5/30/05 11:36:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Dear friends of the USS Saratoga,

As a nation at war, we pause on this Memorial Day to honor the
sacrifices made by American men and women in uniform. That need to recognize, honor, and remember is the driving force behind our efforts to open the USS Saratoga Museum.

We have now reached a significant milestone in our seven-year
volunteer effort to create this non-profit memorial, education center and family attraction at the former Quonset Point Naval Air Station on Rhode Island's beautiful Narragansett Bay. Rhode Island Governor Donald Carcieri has given the project a green light, marking the first time that a senior state official has formally blessed the project.

The Quonset Development Corporation board will vote on the Governor's recommendation on June 20. For the first time we will have a berth reserved for us--no strings attached, other than the requirement to raise the balance of the money needed to open the doors. We will have two years in which to raise $10 million.

We need your help to turn this vision into reality.

Our short-term challenge is to raise $100,000 to fund the upcoming nationwide capital campaign, as well as to provide working capital. Help us walk into that June 20 meeting with a significant portion of that $100,000 in hand, to show the board members that the Governor's faith in us is not misplaced.

Your tax deductible gift to the USS Saratoga Museum Foundation, Inc. [an IRS recognized non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization] will also help us achieve our interim goal: hosting the Last Cruise of the Saratoga to her new home at Quonset Point/Davisville during the summer of 2006.

To make a regular contribution by cash, check or credit card, please print out the attachment and mail it to: USS Saratoga Museum Foundation, Inc., PO Box 28581, Providence, RI 02908. If your browser does not support attachments you may also print out the pledge/donation form from our Web site at:

http://www.saratogamuseum.org/form.html

If this URL does not appear as a link in this message, copy and paste it into your browser window. If you cannot download the form, please e-mail us at SaratogaMuseum@aol.com.

If your proposed donation is more complex, or has estate planning considerations, please call me personally at the number listed below. I will put you in touch with one of our professional estate planning consultants, who will administer securities and cash management donations on behalf of the foundation.

In closing, we have now been engaged in the Global War on Terror since September 11, 2001--a longer period of time than we were in World War II. The fact that we are able to go on with our daily lives and routines is a testament to the men and women of our armed forces. It is only fitting that we take the time on this Memorial Day to honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf.

Thank you again for your help and support, and we look forward to welcoming you as a partner in preservation of one of our nation's historic resources. Your commitment is crucial to us as we attempt to preserve our heritage, while at the same time remembering our veterans and educating our youngsters. It is imperative that the youth of today and the youth of tomorrow never forget the sacrifices of those who have gone before.

Your contribution will help keep those memories alive and strong.

Sincerely,

Frank Lennon
USS Saratoga Museum Foundation, Inc.
401-831-8696

P.S. Only 9 cents of every dollar we have raised has gone to
administration, salaries and other overhead. That means a whopping 91 cents of every dollar has gone to directly further the project goals.
(The national standard for a minimally effective charity is 50-60
cents on the dollar.) Other than those involved with the day-to-day operation of the Russian Sub Museum, none of us (including me) receive any salary.
--
David Kerwood
West Bay Web Internet Publishing

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2005, 07:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

To all Saratoga veterans, community supporters and all of you across the country who think the Saratoga Museum project is a good idea:

With the holidays upon us and 2005 coming to a close, please consider a tax-deductible year-end contribution to the USS Saratoga Museum Foundation, Inc.

We have only good news to report: earlier this year, Rhode Island Governor Donald Carcieri recommended our project move forward, and on June 20, the State granted us a free two-year option for the needed space to moor Sara at the former Quonset/Davisville naval complex..

For the first time, we have a guaranteed place to site this project! All the political obstacles have been removed: if we raise $10 million by May 1, 2007, the project WILL happen!

In the past few months we have already raised more than $3 million. Philanthropist Alan Shawn Feinstein has committed a total of $1.55 million to the project. We also have a $1 million commitment from the Galkin Foundation, a $500,000 bequest, and more than $500,000 in other commitments and pledges.

Those responsible for building the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in
Washington faced a similar challenge, and they raised the money they needed in donations, from more than 275,000 individuals, companies and civic organizations. They proudly say, "Government didn't build this monument; the people did."

We want to say the same for Saratoga Park. We are raising funds from all over the USA. Ambitious? Absolutely! But we have the ship reserved for us; we have a berth for the Saratoga; and we are well on the way to raising the needed $10 million.

As an added incentive, Alan Shawn Feinstein has made a $100,000 challenge grant; that means that every dollar you contribute will be matched dollar for dollar, thus doubling the impact of your gift.

In order to receive this generous grant, we must meet certain goals and deadlines. We need your gift now.

A donation form is attached; the form can also be downloaded from the web site at http://www.saratogamuseum.org/suppor...stein1205.pdf.
If you prefer you can make a donation online at
http://www.saratogamuseum.org/form.html or call me personally at 401-831-8696.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and all the best for the New Year to all of you and your loved ones.

Frank Lennon

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 04-05-2006, 12:14 PM

Default Golf and Baseball for the Sara

Dear friend of the Saratoga project:

We have some exciting news. In our efforts to expand the reach of our support base, we have developed a relationship with the Florida-based Ted Williams Museum which will result in a permanent display of Ted's artifacts and memorabilia here in Rhode Island as part of the Saratoga project.

We recently acquired a rare Korean War-era F9F Panther, the same type of fighter jet Ted Williams flew in combat. Some of Williams' own Marine Corps memorabilia will highlight a special exhibit around the aircraft, and enough baseball material will be provided so that visitors can make the link between Ted's military and baseball careers.

This project will kick off with a fundraising dinner on Sunday
evening, April 30, followed by a golf tournament on Monday, May 1. The best-ball tournament will take place at the Quidnessett Country Club in North Kingstown, RI with a shotgun start at noon. Both events enjoy the support of the Red Sox organization.

Former Major League pitcher Dick Drago is coordinating the
participation of a number of his former Red Sox teammates. On the night before the tournament (Sunday, April 30), former Red Sox General Manager Lou Gorman will be Master of Ceremonies at a kickoff dinner during which foursomes who want to golf with a ballplayer on Monday will have their chance to earn that privilege. The Sunday evening event will also include a major auction of sports memorabilia, to include items autographed by Ted Williams and Babe Ruth.

If you live anywhere in the southern New England area, we hope you will consider participating in one or both of these events.

if not, perhaps you would consider donating a raffle or auction
prize. We are particularly seeking travel and restaurant related
items, tickets to sports events, and sports or military memorabilia.

Please e-mail me or call me at 401-831-8696 if you have something to contribute.

Best regards,

Frank Lennon

Old 12-21-2006, 08:57 PM

Default Dear friend of the USS Saratoga project,

Dear friend of the USS Saratoga project,

Let me start by wishing you and your family a very happy holiday
season and all the best for the New Year.

During the holidays, our thoughts turn toward loved ones, friends and
causes that are important to us. If you are like me, you want to
support those causes where your gift has a tangible or visible
impact, and where you can see that impact sooner rather than later.

We have just such an opportunity for you this year.

The efforts of our supporters have yielded a major financial
breakthrough. We have passed the $10 million mark in fundraising,
identifying more than 90% of the funds needed to create our family
attraction, education center, museum and memorial at the former
Quonset/Davisville naval complex.

When we reach 100%, Saratoga will be able to prepare for her move to
begin her new life in service to her community and her country.

Please consider a year-end donation to help us raise that final 10%.
Few giving opportunities afford the donor a greater or more immediate
impact than the sight of an aircraft carrier in motion - propelled by
donors like you.

If we can achieve our goals within the next month or so we
significantly increase our chances of being able to host the "Last
Cruise of the Saratoga" before the end of 2007. During that "Last
Cruise," when she makes her 32,500-foot journey from Naval Station
Newport to her final home, at the former Quonset-Davisville naval
complex, Saratoga will change her mission from protecting our way of
life to improving our way of life.

We know there are many good causes out there vying for your attention
as year end approaches, but we hope you will include your Saratoga
Foundation in your giving plan. You will be able to proudly say, "I
helped put Saratoga back to work for her country."

Sincerely,

Frank Lennon
President

P.S. Remembering us in your will is a simple and meaningful way to
help Save Sara, and potentially reduce your taxes at the same time.
If you are interested in planned giving and other tax-deductible ways
in which you can support the Saratoga project, please mark the
appropriate box on the attached form.

P.P.S If you are unable to open the attachment, you may download this
form on our website at
http://www.saratogamuseum.org/support/yearend06.pdf

Old 12-20-2007, 07:18 AM

To all Saratoga veterans, and to all of you across the country who
think the Saratoga Museum project on Rhode Island's beautiful
Narragansett Bay is a worthwhile idea:

With the holidays upon us and 2007 coming to a close, the goal of
opening the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga as a family attraction,
educational center, museum and memorial is within our grasp. Please
consider a tax-deductible year-end contribution to the USS Saratoga
Museum Foundation, Inc.

Your timely support is crucial to us, and here's why:

We can now identify about $10.5 million which can be applied to
mooring and renovating Saratoga, and opening her to the public. We
can't spend any of that money, however, until the Navy actually
donates the ship. In order for that donation to occur, we must fund
about $350,000 worth of environmental studies and engineering plans
required by the Navy and the State of Rhode Island.

The good news is that we have already raised more than $180,000 of
that amount (cash and in-kind), and the technical work has begun. Key
elements of this funding are a $50,000 cash grant from the Rhode
Island Foundation; field work and lab analysis donated by the
Chemistry and Marine Biology Departments at Roger Williams
University, valued at $65,000; and underwater surveys conducted by
the University of Rhode Island Graduate School of Oceanography,
valued by our engineers at $59,000.

That leaves us without about $170,000 worth of work to fund, and time
is of the essence!

A key element of our capital funding is $6.5 million set aside by the
US Department of Agriculture as a federal guarantee of financing by a
local bank. That loan guarantee expires in September of 2008, and it
is also contingent on the Navy's final donation of Saratoga.

In order to have any reasonable chance of meeting that deadline, all
the studies and design work must be completed within the next three
months. That's why we need your commitment now.

If all goes well, Saratoga may be able to make her "Last Cruise"
across Narragansett Bay as early as fall of 2008.

A donation form is attached as a pdf file. If you prefer, you can
download this form from our website at:

http://www.saratogamuseum.org/suppor...tionform07.pdf

Or, you may make a donation directly from our website at this link:

http://www.saratogamuseum.org/form.html

or you may call me personally at 401-831-8696.

Frank Lennon