The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2003, 06:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Question Advisors

Most of us know that the U.S. had advisors in VN as early as the late '50s/early'60s, years before the first combat units were sent in-country in mid-'65. What about the NVA/VC? Did China or the Soviet Union send more than just weapons, etc.? Did they send personnel [Advisors] in, also, to show them how to use these weapons to their best potential; teach them tactics; point out the weaknesses in our armor, helicoptors, etc.?

A couple of times I heard stories of "white guys" being spotted traveling with units of NVA or VC, and speculated as being Soviet Advisors. I never saw one, or the body of one. I, personally, chalked it up as another "Urban Legend." So, how 'bout it? Did any of you other guys hear this? Did you ever SEE this? Sid, did any of you Special Ops guys hear or see anything on this?
Old 11-23-2003, 07:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I saw NOTHINGK!!!

I personally never saw any, never knew anybody that saw any and didn't hear about any being there untill long after I served there. They WERE in NVN no doubt about it, as advisors and observers and I think its not unreasonable to think some of these may have made their way down the trail although I havent run across any specific Russian claims that they were there. They were known to be in Laos and Cambodia too

James
Old 11-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Tom

I was watching Rambo once and he seen some Russians in VN, I think Chuck Noris did also.
I don't think the Russans would take the chance to let there people be in the field, but then, they are Russians and not real bright.
Ron
Old 11-23-2003, 05:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking WELL, THERE YA GO!

If Hollywood says they were there, it must be so. Wasn't "Rambo" a documentary?
Old 11-23-2003, 05:49 PM

The Russians did not use advisors in hot spots (were the shooting took place). They had the Cubans for that job. One must remember Rambo and Chuck have vision beyond 20/20.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I heard a rumor about " salt and pepper " these were a white american and a black american who were leading NVA units through the DMZ. Rumor controll said they were Marines who had deserted. Never saw them. We did kill a asian NVA dressed guy that was way bigger than the others and thought he was probably Chineese , I was just glad he was dead.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 06:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Advisors

Don't know much 'bout Russian advisors, but on my tour #2, I was on an advisory team (American, I hasten to add) where our Senior Advisor was really a reconstitutied Nazi. He ran the Advisory Team with an iron fist, totally alienated the folks we were supposed to be advising, and generated so much distrust within other team members that cohesion and teamwork were two non-existent qualities. The situation was so bad that if I wanted some intel about where bad guys might be, I didn't go to the S-2 of the Team, as he was too much a boot-licker and rarely got out in the woods, but would ask the agricultural advisor for his insights. He was more accurate, more connected and a better source of good info. He did, however, participate with me in a bit of larceny for the benefit of the local folks, but that's another story!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote