Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2009, 11:19 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Lightbulb FTC Plans To Monitor Blogs For Violations

FTC Plans To Monitor Blogs For Violations

By Wyatt Earp | June 22, 2009

Attention bloggers. President Obama’s goon squad is targeting you. I guess he didn’t like the cracks about his big ears and Michelle’s resemblance to Aunt Esther from Sanford and Son. Either way, the Federal Trade Commission is planning to monitor blogs for claims and payments.
Luckily for me, I don’t exactly get sent free stuff from the good people at Mountain Dew. Boy, do I love their product!
That’s right, everyone hold on to their wallets. Big Brother has entered the blogosphere.
Savvy consumers often go online for independent consumer reviews of products and services, scouring through comments from everyday Joes and Janes to help them find a gem or shun a lemon.
What some fail to realize, though, is that such reviews can be tainted: Many bloggers have accepted perks such as free laptops, trips to Europe, $500 gift cards or even thousands of dollars for a 200-word post. Bloggers vary in how they disclose such freebies, if they do so at all.
Hey, why the Hell haven’t I gotten any freebies from you people! I want my bloody laptop!!!
The practice has grown to the degree that the Federal Trade Commission is paying attention. New guidelines, expected to be approved late this summer with possible modifications, would clarify that the agency can go after bloggers — as well as the companies that compensate them — for any false claims or failure to disclose conflicts of interest.
It would be the first time the FTC tries to patrol systematically what bloggers say and do online. The common practice of posting a graphical ad or a link to an online retailer — and getting commissions for any sales from it — would be enough to trigger oversight.
So, I probably shouldn’t mention the Phillies season tickets and the gift card for ten free bikini waxes that The Girl gave me.
Oh, I’ve said too much.
Topics: Snarkasm | 7 Comments »

7 Responses to “FTC Plans To Monitor Blogs For Violations”

1. RT Says:
    June 22nd, 2009 at 12:34 am Hey, maybe I can get free household items for my new house if I promise to say everything rocks! I’ve always wanted to review a solar-heated and run, salt-water in-ground, indoor pool.
    Just thought I’d put that out there.

2. USA_Admiral Says:
    June 22nd, 2009 at 5:48 am Anymore of the hope and change business and there won’t any hope we can change it back to the way it was someday.

3. Sully Says:
    June 22nd, 2009 at 7:34 am Damn thought police….

4. Doghouse Says:
    June 22nd, 2009 at 9:40 am Wyatt and bikini wax are two things that should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

5. Jon Brooks Says:
    June 22nd, 2009 at 9:53 am Hmmm where were those Fed investigators when $400
    million came into obambis coffers from overseas internet transactions a few dollars at a time 24/7 for months from just a few accounts? Maybe you can use the Big O approach Wyatt, and get one or two pennies per transaction several thousand times per minute 24/7 and thus keep it under the Fed radar? Or did the One order this because he doesn’t want anyone else using his methods?

6. Jason Says:
    June 22nd, 2009 at 10:42 am What is it with the democrats and wanting to put everyone’s name on a list? Oh yeah, they data mine those lists when then set out to punish those who oppose them.
    I guess the key to imposing a liberal agenda is:
    1. vilify conservatives
    2. compile enemy lists
    3. leverage enemy lists as compliance initiatives
    4. repeat as necessary

7. RT Says:
    June 22nd, 2009 at 12:40 pm These were the same people crying out about the Patriot Act, no?
http://supportyourlocalgunfighter.co...or-violations/

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links