The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2003, 04:33 AM

I've been once nov. 82 was still in the army I guess it was a real site to see an old srg. crying at that time but was able to put a lot of spirits to rest that day but I haven't been able to go back. my wife wantsd me to take her but I still don't know if I can.

razz
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default My only suggestion

Is to go with a person very close to you the first time. They need to stand back and let you go to the wall by yourself, but it is nice to have someone there after.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:13 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Seeing the names

I visited the Wall back in '89 and found the name of the only guy from my hometown to be killed over there plus the names of two buddies who were transferred there from my main duty station and returned in boxes. I took a close-up photo of the hometown guys name and gave it to his dad who hadn't been to the Wall. He tried to thank me but couldn't get the words out. Its just as well since I couldn't say, "You're welcome." He shook my hand, put the photo in his shirt pocket and walked away. I just hope I did the right thing.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

1CAV & Razz -
Maybe it's true for all war memorials, I dunno, but that particular Wall represents a lot of other stuff all at once too... the names of so many many our age mostly, young kids really sent to battles they won almost all of, V for victory, V for valor, V for Veterans, V for Vietnam, dug down deep in the earth, a reflecting black mirror seeing yourself and what we each did in those years with our lives, what the government was doing with and to us then... lives given not in vain but sacrificed really for a faulty premise kept hidden from everyone until the end... an apology from the Secretary of Defense didn't cut it; made me realize it could happen again.

Just don't know what to think, but I got to go there... forget the anger and mistrust, and pay an homage.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:25 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Bluehawk

It is true for all war memorials, when you go (note I said when) go see the Marine memorial. No doubt you will see some oler gentleman with tears in his eyes remembering his friends on Tarawa, and Guadalcanal, and Okinawa and a thousand other places. We were all 19 and invincible, the only difference is that today they still are.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:29 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Doc & Pho -
Thanks, not sure what I'm gonna do. Was thinking it might be best to face the thing alone, just like I was in '63 when we raised that right hand and swore an oath to defend this country from ALL enemies... never realizing there could be enemies within.

I'm grateful The Wall is there... but am not so sure their sacrifices are being honored as they should be, and those of the other millions of us from the start...
Old 08-04-2003, 05:46 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Pho -
Yup, I always go to Arlington when out there, but I really should pay respects elsewhere too...y'know, we ARE still alive and have got to carry that banner we have inside that other americans know nothing about or ever will, though they try I know... here lately when all this happened about the premise of the Iraq war, I get pretty stirred up about it all again, thinking maybe our President is in over his personal head, getting some real poor advice, attacking the wrong enemy... when the Commander in Chief says it's war, then by god it is war... so whoever he is had best make damn sure he explains it all honestly and completely, and apologies or excuses after the fact don't amount to a hill of beans at The Wall.

It sometimes causes me to believe that I'd rather have my name on that wall than to have to witness anything resembling that for our nation ever again... but they just keep on keepin' on it seems, and come around on Veterans Day with speeches to the ones who cannot hear anymore... and deny many promises made to the survivors.

I'm probably not thinking this through rightly... but this is how it appears.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:03 AM

Went to the small wall that travels around. Wife and I have several friends on it - that's all I will say.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-04-2003, 06:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The Wall

Was there in 82' for the dedication. Went back many times when in the Vet Center Program. Last trip was a summer 2001 with Deb, her sister and nephew. It was the last time I will ever go. I can no longer deal with going. The place is great and all that, just can't deal with the pain I feel when there. The Wall helped me in the 80's and for that, I am eternally greatful. It hurts me now. Went to the moving wall with Doc, Andy, Seatjerker, and gals. It was the last time I will ever do that also. Same same reasons.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 08-04-2003, 06:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy

I think about the guys in the wall every day and am really amazed and terribly lucky not to be there myself. I am trying to do good , as the guy in Pvt Ryan says - to earn this. When I hug my wife and daughter I ask them to tell me I am a good man They do. The only reason I am going back is Tiny. He has no legs and wants to go during our reunion in 05. He has been to the moving wall - said he rolled up to it and blindly put his hand on it and his hand was over three guys that was in his platoon the day they died. Freaked him out. Freaks me out. Tiny and I will visit our friends together.