The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2005, 03:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Happy Birthday, Airborne!

The first American parachute test platoon was authorized by the War Department on June 25, 1940, to experiment with the potential use of airborne troops.

The first parachute unit was formed in Fort Benning, Georgia, on June 25, 1940, consisting of volunteers from the 29th Infantry Regiment and made its first jump on August 16, 1940. The Unit's success led to the establishment of several parachute battalions and regiments over the next two years.

In 1940, the 29th Infantry Regiment provided more than 200 volunteers to be part of the newly activated Parachute Test Platoon. Of those 200, only 48 were chosen; one first lieutenant, one second lieutenant, six sergeants, and 42 private first classes or privates. Each of these men had to meet the strict qualifications of : at least one year's service (preferably on enlistment), not over 30 years of age (preferably under 25), good physical condition (athletically inclined), desire to be transferred to a parachute organization, willing to ride in and jump from airplanes after instructions, unmarried desirable, and recommended by commanding officers.

On August 13, 1940, the Test Platoon made a "jump into history" when they made their first jump out of a C-33 aircraft at 1500 feet. They had been training for the jump since early July. They went to Lawson Field in early July to start their training of special physical exercises, jumps from six and ten foot platforms, forced runs and marches to strengthen legs and ankles, lots of push-ups to build up the arms and shoulder strength, learning how to pack their own chutes, jumping techniques, and lots of physical exercises. Later, in late July, the platoon went for a week's training on two parachute towers. The training was to be held in Hightstown, NJ. One of the towers had cables to control the opened, descending canopy. The other, was free falling. It pulled the canopy to the top of the tower then released it and allowed the jumper to make a free descent and landing.

To make the odds fair for the first jump out of a plane, the commander made the men pick numbers out of a hat to get the jumping order. Bribes went as high as fifty dollars for the right to jump first, but none were accepted. When it finally came time to jump, the first enlisted man in line froze at the door. The commander gave the man another opportunity to jump, but still, he froze. With this, the honor of being the first enlisted man to jump went to Private William N. "Red" King.

Quoting from a part of the citation awarded to the Test Platoon from Secretary of the Army, John Marsh, "The Test Platoon, Parachute Troops and Air Infantry, United States Army, is commended for meritous conduct in the performance of hazardous service from July to September, 1940...It pioneered experomentation to determine the feasibility of employing paratroopers in modern warfare..."

These 48 men were members of the original Parachute Test Platoon:

First Lieutenant William T. Ryder, Second Lieutenant James A. Bassett, Warrant Officer C.W. (Tug) Wilson, Sergeants John M. Haly, Benedict F. Jacquary, Lloyd (Mac) McCullough, Lemuel T. Pitts, Grady A. Roberts, Hobart B. Wade, Privates First Class Tyerus Floyd Adams, Willie F. Brown, Floyd Burkhalter, Donald L. Colee, Louie D. Davis, Edgar R. Dodd, Johnnie A. Ellis, Mitchel Guilbeau, J. Hardin, George W. Ivy, John M. Kitchens, Lester C. McLaney, Joseph L. Peters, John F. Pursley Jr, Benjamin C. Reese, Alsie L. Rutland, Louie D. Skipper, Raymond G. Smith, Harris J. Wallace, John A. Ward, Thurman L. Week, Carles M. (Swifty) Wilson, Obie B. Wilson, Privates John E. Borom, Leo C. Brown, Jules Corbin, Ernest L. Dilburn, Joseph E. Doucet, Aubrey Eberhardt, Frank Kassell Jr, Richard J. Kelly, Sidney C. Kerksis, William N. King, John 0. Modisett, Robert H. Poudert, Albert P. Robinson, Thad P. Selman, Robert E. Shepperd, Arthur W. Swilley, Hugh A. Tracey, Steve Voils Jr.

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2005, 10:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

One of the proudest days of my life was the day that I was awarded my Parachutist Badge, making me a member of an elite brotherhood steeped in a history of legendary proportions. I am proud to have served in two of the most famous units in the U.S. Army.....the 101st Airborne Division and the 82nd Airborne Division. To have served in a combat zone with both of them. I have always been proud of the fact that I served with the 101st Airborne Division the last time it fought a foreign foe as an all-paratrooper unit. But I am most proud to have served and fought beside some of the bravest men that this country had, and to have been accepted and looked upon as an equal by them.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE UNITED STATES ARMY AIRBORNE, INDEED!

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flgegl.jpg (10.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-28-2005, 04:30 AM

Airborne - Belated Birthday wishes. I was off yesterday so I hope you had a good one and many more to come.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:19 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Airborne - Happy belated B-Day. I love the look on that guys face in the photo. That's a real, "Oh, shit! What've I got myself into?!" look.