The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Military Weapons

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2003, 04:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default 1917 Springfield...

...my Father in conversation mentioned his 30.06 today, and i never remember him having one until he mentioned who gave it to him many years back...

...one of our neighbors gave it to him "like" 25 years ago for helping him out of a jam...

...this guy was a WWII vet, and city firefighter for as long as I remember

...claims it was never fired, barrel as clean as could be and my father mentioned the barrel had the original grease in it...said the tech name of it, but slips my thought

...made at (?) englestone ...

...stamped 1917 top center, and has what looks like ?BAR stamped in the side of the stock with another notation of ? GM-3...

...It's in perfect condition, heavy piece looks like a "trench rifle " from WWI with rear sight that flips up, cleaning kit in the back of the shoulder rest...
...got a picture, or history you could enlighten me with...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2003, 04:00 AM

It's not a Springfield. It's a Mod. 1917 U.S. Enfield Rifle. Made at Eddystone, PA between 1917 and 1918. I'll get back to you with values. Sounds like it's never been issued.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:47 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks...

...from what information my father told me, and by visual, your prob correct on it never being issued...

...the man that owned it was either in the VFW, or Legion, and it was issued for ceremonies, and they only used a couple of them at the armory for parades etc through the years...

...there was a serial number on it...863???, can't remember the last three, if it would help any, I'll call him, and get the last three, but I believe it would just be the sequence # of production...

...sweet piece, not a mark on it, and it does take you back just holding it wondering how those men handled such heavy equiptment along with the rest of their gear...
...thanks again...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 03-17-2003, 07:32 AM

OK! Here's the deal. They were made by both Winchester and Remington. Winchester made 465,980 and Remington made 545,541 at Ilion, NY and 1,181,908 at Eddystone, PA. The weapon should have a dark blue black finish with an oil stained walnut stock.The rear sight is graduated to 1,600 yards and has a sliding peep sight. It is ONLY adjustable for elevation and not windage. For some reason the Eddystone marked rifles are worth a 10% premium. In the condition you describe, the rifle is worth around $1,200.00.
The reason for this may be that many were re-conditioned for WWII and parkerized. These are worth 50% less. The Parkerized finish is a Gray Green dull finish.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default got it...

...It does have the walnut stock, and blue/ black finish on the barrel...yardage sight without windage, etc...

...thank you for the info, and will pass it on...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 03-30-2003, 04:31 AM

I have a '17 Enfield with cut down forestock, rechambered for British .303 Some vandal took off the rear battle site and replaced it with a flip-up peep site. Has an internal box mag.

WARNING: They flopped as a military rifle because they overheat and cook off. Don't do a lot of shooting at once with it, if you're planning to shoot it at all.

Pretty darn accurate though. I think mine's worth all of fifty bucks, but it's still my favorite tree chopper-downer.