The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2018, 09:36 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question Not Much Ever Really Changes

6-3-2018

I get up very early every morning, and as usual, the first thing that I do is to flip on the news to see what is going on in the world. This morning, however, the tube first focused-in on a program about World War I, and without turning up the volume, I just sat there in the dark for a few moments staring at the tragic images of mere kids, hunkered-down in their damp and cold trenches, a stark look of fear and foreboding upon their faces, as the flashes of exploding shells faintly illuminated the gaunt and trembling shadows of those who may have been about to die!

It was at this point that I thought to myself that not much ever really changes - save for the date on the calendar, along with the uniforms of the men and women who were there to do a dirty and often thankless job. And a filthy and miserable job it is, I grant you, but a job that had to be done by the young grunt ever since mankind first discovered that he just could not live in harmony with each other for any extended period of time!

I don’t imagine however, that it was all that different away back in 1776, 1861, 1917, or even in 1941 for that matter, as most of the faces back then were probably very young as well? But unlike those Hollywood classics that portray most of those who are doing the fighting out there upon the front lines as the mature and battle-hardened veterans of countless battles, many a trooper in fact, was just a kid who envisioned himself bedecked in medals and marching home in victory to the music of John Philip Sousa!

Some things in war, however, have always remained a constant - and these are the torn bodies, the shattered dreams, the lost sanity, the horrendous cost of reality, and the fact that yet another war is probably right around the very next corner! “And this will remain true for a long as some overly ambitious politician, anyplace upon this tiny little planet of ours, finds it essential to prove that he is the toughest and meanest little bastard on the block!”

“And Such, Unfortunately, Is The Only True And Lasting Legacy Of Most Wars!”

Hardcore