The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2018, 09:51 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry Never Say Die

6-8-2018

“We live within a society where things are not always as they seem or what they are portrayed as being? And in this society, one of the first victim (in my opinion), is often truth itself!”

How sharp the systemic liar (regardless of its politics), considers itself to be, in that the sky is the limit to those who have advanced beyond anything as trite as conscience, truth, and even righteousness? And unfortunately as well, is the fact that the liar is now accepted as an integral and indispensable part of our way of life, along with its social intercourse! So much so, in fact, that the sickening stench of the liar, and the damage that it often leaves in its wake, is now overlooked and as normal as drawing in one’s next breath in some quarters!

“Once again, can any society that is so inclines forever endure, especially when it is from this often polluted pool that we sometimes draw our bi-partisan leadership?”

“Remember that being well-educated or even politically connected - but remaining as dumb as a post or as gullible as a virgin in heat at the very same time, are the surest routes to a national catastrophe”, again in my opinion!

Hardcore
Old 06-08-2018, 10:14 AM

I agree that it is a strange construction. So I thought maybe searching for why you might use the phrase "say die" (instead of "never say die") might shed some light on the origin of the phrase. The earliest publication I could find, in which the phrase "say die" was included, is a play called, "The Faithful Shepherd." The play was published in 1590, written in Italian by Giovanni Battista Guarini. The English translation wasn't published until 1647. In a 1736 edition of a book entitled The faithful shepherd: A pastoral tragi-comedy, written in Italian by the celebrated Signor Baptista Guarini, there are these lines.

"Let those fair amiable Eyes release

My Life, now bitter, which once made it sweet;

And those bright Stars, which my Love's Torches li't,

Light too my Funeral Tapers, and fore-run,

As once my rising, now my setting Sun.

But thou more hard than 'ere thou wert before,

Feel'st yet no Spark of Pity, but art more

Deaf to my Pray'rs. Must I then talk alone?

Wretch that I am, discourse I to a Stone!

Say die, at least, if nothing else thou' It say,

And thou shalt see me die..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Within the next century, for whatever reason, the phrase "Never say die." becomes quite common. (I'm not saying it's a result of the play, by any means, in case anyone mistakenly thinks I'm implying that.) MetaEd mentions one citation in his answer, but there are many citations from the 1800s in which the phrase is used, including a flowery poem attributed to J.F. Waller

Never say die—never say die;

Life's worth the living, if we only try;

The hand and the brain

Were not given in vain.

We've a battle to gain,

And so—never say die.

If earnings be low and if living be high,

'Tis reason the more

Not to faint or give o'er,

Better days are in store,

And so—never say die.

Never say die—never say die—

When night is at darkest the morning is nigh;

Whether far off or near,

In God's time will appear

Some blessing to cheer,

And so never say die.

The soul that is steadfast may fortune defy;

In labour and art

Let the hand and the heart

Each do its own part,

And so—never say die.

When cowards despair, be this our reply—

All that's noble and human

In constant and true man,

In brave patient woman,

Cries—never say die.

Life is God's gift that we may not lay by;

Whatever befall,

'Tis the duty of all'

Till he gives the call

To say—never say die.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or this idiom could also mean;

Never admit defeat - though it does no make the same grammatical+semantical sense.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote