The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Military Weapons

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2003, 11:16 AM

Default First Post.

Ok guys, I'm going to try to be like H. Lee Ermey. Send the questions. I can answer most questions about US and Foreign Military Weapons from 1776 to about 1990 and if I don't have the information readily at hand (Pretty big reference book collection) I can get it elsewhere. If you need help identifying something you have or something someone is trying to sell to you, ask your questions here.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2003, 11:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Col. , since you opened it up to military weapons , I'll ask. I have a sword that my great grandfather brought back from the Civil War. Have lots of good documentation on him , served in the 4th N.J. Infantry. The sword has NO markings on it at all nor on the scabbord and it's almost crude. slightly curved blade, thick back and handguard. Took it to a knive show and a guy told me it was an unmarked confederate saber probably made in copper hill TN. I know this tough with no picture. Thanks in advance. Family lore says he got it during the Wilderness battles
Old 02-03-2003, 01:23 PM

Default Sounds like it was a bring back

Or "War Trophy". It might be Confederate and if it is it's probably worth some big bucks. Confederate arms are in great demand because of the low survival rate. Get it appraised or try to take some photos of it and post them here.
Side note: I had an ancestor who was in the 3 NJ Volunteer Infantry. Started as an enlistee under the Presidential Proclamation of 1861 and got out as a 1st Lt. after losing a leg at First Bull Run.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Just wanted to say, I am glad this section has opened. Should bring some interesting posts.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 02-03-2003, 04:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Col. Murphy

Can you still find WW I Mausers in the 7 mm that can be sporterized. I did it with a 30-06 1913 A3 springfield. Just thought it might be fun to do a Mauser. Was there a 7mm and a 7.63 Mauser? Either would be great. I suppose pawn shops etc. would be the best place to find them?

Keith
Old 02-03-2003, 04:45 PM

Default Mausers

There are plenty of Mausers out there. You should be able to get an Argentine Mauser (7.65mm) in excellent condition for around $375. Some of the models I've seen at gun shows and values;

Chilean Mod. 95 (7x57mm)- $350
Swedish Mod. 38 Rifle (6.5mm) - $250
German Mod 98 Gewher 8 mm(7.92mm) - $500
Columbian Mod 98 (7.92mm) - $300

There are so many variations of this action that there is just not enough space to list them all. What I have listed is the most prevalent Models with the value for an Excellent condition one.

EXCELLENT CONTITION - Collector quality firerarms, must be in at least 98% condition with respect to blue wear, stock or grip finish and bore. Must be in 100% factory original condition without refinishing, repair, alterations or additions of any kind. Sights must be factory original as well. This grading classification includes both Modern and antique (Manufactured prior to 1898)

You guys might want to start a new thread for each make that you have questions on. ie: Mauser, Winchester, Springfield, etc. or this thread will get too long to read. Possibly a "What is it/what's it worth?" also. That way it will make it easier for folks to reasearch various questions that may have been addressed before.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post thank you for the information!

It gives me a start.

Keith
Old 02-03-2003, 10:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post My Older Brother

He was much more into guns than I. When we were in our twenties he bought an Roll in Block action. Somehow, I don't how he and the machinist did it but they attached a new barrel to the gun. I believe it was chambered for the 243 Roberts. Put on a sportized stock, scope and used it for varmit hunting and deer hunting. I was just thinking about it. The gunsmith said the rolling block was plenty strong enough for many modern cartridges. Ever heard of that being done?

Keith
Old 02-13-2003, 07:20 AM

Keith-

Tried to respond some time ago but somehow got cut off before I could get my response submitted.
I am a big fan of old military rifles-both as sporerized hunting/shooting weapons and in original form as collectabiles.
I suggest that if you want a sporterized rifle for hunting/shooting that you start with a rifle that has already been sporterized to one extent or another.There are a lot of these rifles around and-at least in this area-tend to cost about half what a rifle in original configuration costs.This is due to the fact that so many of these have been sporterized that rifles in original configuration are becomeing rare.Sporterizeing tends to ruin collector value.Aside from inital cost these rifles will also save some or all of what it would have cost you to sporterize them.I will list some sporters I have owned,enjoyed,and considered good value along with what I spent for them and aprox. what I spent on them on them to make them suit me.Keep in mind that some of these were purchased many years ago and prices tend to go up.
'95 Spanish Mauser,7X57mm.$65+ aprox.$65 for aperture sights
'95 Spanish Mauser carb.,.308 $100
'98 Mauser-came with Fajin stock,Weaver 4X12 scope & mounts,Timmony trigger/safty,sport. bolt handle,rebarreled with CP heavey barrel in .243Win. $125 (note:got this rifle from a guy who admitted he wanted to sell it because he couldn't get it to shoot a decent group.When I took it out of the stock I noted that the forward sling swivel screw's point was rideing against the bottom of the barrel.Threw the screw away and it averaged half inch groups from then on.)+$10 for detachable sling swivels.
1917 Remington Enfield-came with Bishop stock,scope&mounts..30-'06.$125+ aprox.$15 for lower mounts
Springfield .30-40 Kraig carb. $100+aprox.$80 for aperture sights.
'98 (Belgun) Mauser w/scope & tip-off mounts,reworked bolt,timmony safty,and bishop stock rebarreled to .30-'06.$250
A whole bunch of '03-'03A3 Springfields.Can't recall each one off hand,but will humbly submit-as a friend always says-"No home is compleat without one.
Hope this might give you some ideas Keith.
BTW-one afterternoon in Dec. I took two deer in three Hrs. with a sport. '03A3.The ole warhourses still work pretty well.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:23 AM

Col.-

Noted your reply to Ghost et al.on THC.Perfectly said and AMEN!!!