Old 04-28-2002, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Impact of World War II on Filipino Migrant Workers

Beau

Registered to :Aug 29, 2001
Posted 17-03-2002 at 18:31
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the 1940s and 1950s, Stockton had a sizable Filipino community. Here an estimated 500 second generation Filipino children had emerged more than half of whom were products of mixed marriages.

Although this pattern eventually became the reality in many Filipino communities in the United States, American acceptance of the Filipinos was gradual and late.

World War II was significant in transforming American attitudes toward Filipinos. At the outbreak of the war, Filipinos were barred from joining the armed forces. But in 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt finally allowed Filipinos to be drafted into military service. Many Filipinos fought side by side with the Americans in Europe and Asia. Others contributed by becoming civilians involved in the mobilization efforts during the war.

At the end of the war, the Filipinos had earned the acceptance and admiration of the American public. The Filipinos regained their dignity after many years of discrimination and racism.

Through the war, the Filipinos had proven their right to become citizens of the United States. An amendment to the Nationality Act of 1940 allowed the noncitizens who joined the military to avail of citizenship. Close to ten thousand Filipinos availed themselves of this opportunity.

(Officially, California's Anti-Miscegination law, ended in 1935 --- I believe. However, the informal laws of society still ruled for a long time.

I, being .5 Latino and .5 Filipino, finally found info on the number of us second generation types. I spent time at Migrant Worker Camps --- miserable places but I never worked them. For those of you that don't know it, the Philipine Islands w/people --- would include my grandparents --- , were purchase from Spain for $20,000,000 after that bit scuffle.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile www Qoute
Chu2

Registered to :Mar 12, 2002
Posted 19-03-2002 at 00:27
One of my personal WWII heroes is a
Filipino/American who was First Scout for
the 11th Airborne Recon Platoon. Terry
Santos was born in Hawaii and raised in
San Francisco. He graduated from Alamo Scout training in New Guinea and hooked
up w/the 11th in 1944. His knowledge of
Tagalog made him a valuable asset behind
the lines on Leyte and Luzon fighting the
Japanese.

On Luzon Terry and Lt George Skau, CO
of the Recon Platoon, surveyed the
Los Banos Prison Camp prior to its'
liberation. He participated in the Los
Banos Raid, the most successful operation
of its' kind in US military history. He
personally neutralized 2 machinegun
nests during the firefight.

After the War, Santos attended and
graduated from SF State College (now
univ) with a degree in mechanical engineering. He retired in the mid 1980s.

I had the honor of interviewing him at
his home early last year for a paper I
submitted about the Los Banos civilian
POW camp and the Los Banos Raid of
Feb 23, 1945.

Profile Qoute
Beau

Posted 19-03-2002 at 13:38
Thanks you. I would be interested in reading your interview ( Beau@2Die4.com --- or post here at this spot ).

I was told by a full bird (puro Filipino) that many of those old boys did things that equal the "famed" Nesei ("Go for Broke") Japanese Americans of WWII. But, unlike that well know group of Veterans, the Filipino's of that era are the Soldiers of Lesser record --- for some reason.

I would say, that some of us (reference the note on my Second Generation, with more than a splash of Chicano) were no less "heroic," by whatever measure of that word, and by whatever definition.

Beau

Profile www Qoute
Chu2

Posted 19-03-2002 at 20:09
Fil-Ams and Hispanics were integrated into
the Caucasian units as were Chinese Americans at some point during the War.
There were also some Japanese Americans
that were integrated into Caucasian units,
usually as translators. I don't know of
any Filipino-American only units which trained in the US and fought overseas.

I don't have a transcribed copy of my
interview with Terry Santos but his
account can be found on-line under
Los Banos Raid (try dogpile.com).
My paper is filed with the Robert
Kennedy Library at Cal Poly, San
Luis Obispo.

Profile Qoute
Beau

Posted 19-03-2002 at 21:49
Thanks, I got the drift of the raid. I suppose it may take more surfing to find more on the man.

Are you a veteran of war ? Why the smilie guy that looked like a growl with shades on ?

Profile www Qoute
Chu2

Posted 20-03-2002 at 00:40
You won't find much more on Santos.
I believe he is mentioned in one or more
of General Edward Flanagan's book on
the 11th AB (The Angels) or his book
about the Los Banos Raid. I can't find it
and can't remember exactly the title. I
talk to Terry on occasion by phone. I sent
him a copy of my paper and haven't heard
from him since. That was a few months back. He still lives in SF.

I am the son of an 11th AB (511PIR)
trooper. My father was wounded during
the liberation of Manila. His company was
not involved in the LB Raid but a Lt
in his company (H), John Ringler, became
CO of B Company and led the parachute
assault phase of the raid. Ringler's
account of the raid is also on the net.
My father sent Ringler a copy of my thesis
and he sent a nice letter back.

I don't know how I got that screwed up
smiley face on my post.....sorry.

Profile Qoute
Beau

Posted 20-03-2002 at 12:01
Thanks for sharing a tiny bit of your father's war history and that of another individual and also the units --- "Valiant" men and units, I'm sure.

At this point in my life, I have no great interest in War of any era, not even my own --- some other things are what intrigue me most (e.g. your T. Santos and his academic/professional achievements; heritage; little histories). The abstracts that I posted here and on the Spanish American/Philipine-American War(s) were from real scholars of war, and not my doing --- except a brief comment.

I went to the online library of Cal Poly and requested info. from the Libraian. I hope he/she find your article/interview of T. Santos.

In my photo webpage there is a piccie of some old PI Scouts/American Soldiers --- old boys of Bataan.

Thanks, and I hope no "smilie" icon pops in,
Beau

Profile www Qoute
Chu2

Posted 21-03-2002 at 00:06
My paper is a Senior Project (History
major). It does not solely consist of an
interview with Terry Santos. Parts of
my interview with him are included along
with segments of interviews with Gen
Henry Muller, G2 of the 11th AB at the
time, Donald Langford, a B Co soldier,
and Jerry and Margaret Sams who were
among the prisoners rescued from the
Japanese by the Recon Platoon, B Co,
Filipino Guerillas, and others.

The title of my project is The Los Banos
Experience: Life in and Rescue From a
WWII Japanese Prison Camp. It was
submitted Nov 2001. Let me know
if the library will give it up to you on-line.

I am not interested in ALL wars but I
am interested in people. And, in war, one
certainly finds the ultimate in the study
of people.

Profile Qoute
Beau

Posted 21-03-2002 at 11:06
I certainly will notify you if the college Research Librarian sends me the online version of your paper. I am sure that it is a good paper --- stayed tuned to this spot now and then.

It occurred to me: me madre either ambushed, or was ambushed by a few Philipine Guerillas, then she Reconed the neighborhood --- better stop with that.

Keep up the good work. I know that many, many students work very hard at getting an education: often working to pay for it.

Beau

Profile www Qoute
Beau

Posted 21-03-2002 at 20:07
Mr. Chu2:

I just got an e-mail response from the e-Reference Libarian at Cal Poly. If you are the Mr. Flanagan Jr that he/she is referring to, I may check it out:
------------------------------------------------------
I did locate a book that Kennedy Library owns on the subject of the "Los
Banos Raid":
The Los Banos raid : the 11th Airborne jumps at dawn by Edward M.
Flanagan, Jr.

I couldn't locate anything on Terry Ramos.

Good luck and thanks for asking!

Profile www Qoute
Chu2

Posted 22-03-2002 at 19:56
His name is Terry Santos (not Ramos) and
you may find a little about him in one or
more of Flanagan's books. No, I am not
related to General Flanagan.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links