0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 09:37 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation Military Gay Marriage?

My never-ending curious brain just thought of something...

What will happen to "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" if/when gay and lesbian marriage IS legalized!!!!!

The Defense Department and VA are gonna have to then come up garrison housing, survivor benefits, adoption dependents procedures, child support enforcement etc etc etc... oh my God, imagine a couple wanting to get married under the swords at Annapolis!

Ya know what, except for the very few words Jesus himself is said to have said that are in the Bible, I honestly don't pay all that much attention to anything else in there other than the Ten Commandments and Psalms.

I really fail to understand exactly why marriage MUST be limited to a man and a woman. It ain't my personal cuppa tea, but if people love one another, what in the world could possibly be the harm? Heaven knows our divorce rate, the number of kids born out of wedlock, the vast numbers of kids desperate for adoption, sexual harrassment and rape and pregnancy while on duty... its gonna be an entire total disturbance all in all, right?

Gay and lesbian folks have served honorably and even commanded military groups from the dawn of warfare... Alexander's name comes to mind.

I gotta add though, why anyone would WANT to make their personal genital activity a public political issue is just inconceivable. Now we've got a Gay and Lesbian etc high school going up in New York, but no all negro or all mexican ones etc. are permitted and our taxes must not support any of the decent religious schools either. Some Catholic and Episcopal priests have been after our boy school-children for the past 60 years (AT LEAST!), and nothing much is said about those wily nuns who did the same with our girls...

Man oh man, we really ARE in deep doo doo now...this is gettin' real crazy here lately.

Yesterday our Prez said in his news conference that he's got the lawyers working on it, and the Evangelical partisans are talking about a freakin' Constitutional Amendment for heaven sake!

Just what we all needed most right about now...

Couldn't all this just wait a few years until we get our a-- out of the middle east and Korea? Please?
sendpm.gif
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2003, 09:48 AM

blue this is a joke right.

razz
Old 07-31-2003, 10:25 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I wish to God it was Razz...

I can see it coming, the news is full of reports day in and day out.

Today the Vatican itself sent out the official word begging nations not to agree to it.

The religious right is up in arms, and they really ARE getting the ball rolling right now (!) to demand a Constitutional Amendment which will, in effect, ban gay marriage in America.

I am NOT kidding around
sendpm.gif
Old 07-31-2003, 04:43 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Here's the latest, what they're starting to debate all over the place is the "Defense of Marriage Act", which says that no State has to recognize any homosexual union that is legal in another State.

Problem then becomes, the US military is not a STATE but people from EVERY State need to live in other States where they are stationed, so will THEY be obliged to recognize the validity of a homosexual marriage? Even if they aren't, I betcha there will be a whole bunch of lawsuits insisting that they should be!
sendpm.gif
Old 07-31-2003, 06:59 PM

Blue,

Even though I have Gay friends, I don't believe in Gay marriages. I don't believe Gays should be allowed to be open about their Gayness in the Military.

If I were young soldier in the Military now, I would refuse to room with a Gay female soldier. Why would I want to share a room with a Gay female when they think like a man?
sendpm.gif
Old 08-01-2003, 04:53 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Philly,
I was, and still am frankly, kinda thinking along the same lines as you about rooming arrangements... I just don't like it.

Sexual harassment is an issue, and so is rape. It is my undertstanding that there are more rapes BY FAR in prison among males than any amount of heterosexual rapes on the outside, for one thing. And second, if anyone has ever been the target of a homosexual predator, they know it ain't a pleasant experience... and almost never gets included in the statistics.
sendpm.gif
Old 08-01-2003, 05:41 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Some more thoughts, I know I'm goin' on and on about this, but it seems to bother enough of us on both sides of the issue...

- The military law is the UCMJ, so I gotta assume that it will not feel too threatened by whatever individual States enact...it's just that this will not stop homosexual lawsuits to try and change the UCMJ, or bring up some cranky thing about people's Civil Rights being "violated". Heaven knows where that will end if gay marriages are nationally, somehow, legalized.

- Even now, if a gay marriage is legal in Vermont and Hawaii, and there is some marital dispute between partners, one or both of whom is in service, what the hell will the UCMJ do when under a State law a legitimate legal action gets underway?

- Y'know, if I thought for a minute that the true premise of all this hankering for homosexual marriages was a genuine wish to formalize the love bond (which I am sure it is in SOME cases), and not just a tricky way to use Civil Rights politics to squeeze in some financial benefits that will be added on top of everything else that is considered by our government and people as budgetary "entitlements"... then it'd ring a little truer. I just get this feeling that the folks who are truly sincere about wanting to be actually married as a way of expressing emotional committment are getting used by the fanatical political branch of the thing... the ones who made what those people do in their bedrooms a P U B L I C Civil and Human Right, and an exception or exemption of an unusual type. To me it's almost like granting special rights to somebody because they prefer the missionary position... it just doesn't make and sense, and I still think it's something that never SHOULD have been made a political issue of in any way. Having said that though, it has become such a huge issue primarily because of the military's historical (hysterical and hypocritical as well, by the way) abhorence of it, which went right along with a lot of other crazy discriminations they used to force on people in service...

- There's a way in which the "Don't Ask - Don't Tell" policy is working pretty well, as a compromise policy. But notice, that has not stopped people from blurting out their homosexual orientations nor claiming they have been discriminated against!
sendpm.gif
Old 08-02-2003, 06:49 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

P.S.

Practically every single news magazine, TV news program, and Talk Radio show is discussing this matter...

Nothing else to talk about...?

I know, it'll all change pretty quick now to some other issue... wanna bet it pops up again in an even more complete form one day fairly soon?
sendpm.gif
Old 08-03-2003, 04:58 AM

TO EACH HIS/HER OWN.

I also have friends that are Gay, but they dont hit on me and I dont hit on them.

Think this over

A common Law Marriage is recognized in each and every State of the USA, it you committed the marriage that recognizizes the marriage. Tx Family Code 911.

You have to do two of three things to make that Common Law Marriage legal.

Co Habit
Represent to the public that you are married
comsanate (sp) , you know. Making Love.

the States has to recognize it and it will take a Divorce Court to get out of it ( legally)..

Other than that the Military is a State ( in reality) , it represents all of the USA.

enough.........
Old 08-03-2003, 05:51 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Well Reeb,
that's the way it OUGHTA be, but it ain't gonna get that way for a long long long long time..so, Gay Marriage (if legalized nationally, or in more and more States) is GOING to have an effect on military morale and preparedness/unit cohesion (whether it SHOULD or not is a separate discussion), because it will take away from command priorities in the field, and money back home...or so it seems, to me anyhow.

And, there IS such a thing as a homosexual predator out there trying to comsanate (I like that spelling of it!)... a fairly dangerous activity I'd say, amongst a bunch of well-trained and heavily armed warriors.
sendpm.gif
Closed Thread