The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 PM

Default USAF 19th TASS (CEM) on the ground???

The actual question is towards the bottom if you dont want to read me bable!
My grandmother has been Ill for some time now recently she had to move to the area so that family could take care of her. She past away this past wed. One of the things that we did as a family was slowly get rid of stuff at her old place before she moved down here. And we found my Grandfathers foot locker. My grandfather has been a larger than life image to me all my life. I never got to meet him but know that he did some what we would call today "high speed low drag" stuff. He was involved in communications that is about the most anyone can tell me. We know that aside from serving in vietnam he was in some odd places especially for the USAF. We know at one point that he was on an oil rig off the coast somwhere. Why he was there? who knows.
Anyhow....
My question is this. The pictures that he has are all on the ground with what appear to be army infantry. In his foot locker were a set of ERDL uniforms. Now, I will admit that I kinda hope that he did some cool stuff while in vietnam but just that fact that he was a lifer in that time is impressive to me. That he volunteered to go while he had a wife and daughter at home is even more so impressive.
Does anyone have any knowledge of what the 19th tactical air support sqdn did? I know that they had FAC aircraft and some commo guys. Any idea why he was in the field instead of an airbase? Why the cammo and not the norm od uniform?
Any help would be great!!!!!!!

EDIT: I found some more info that says he was with the 19th TASS CEM, This was also found on a reciept from the base PX..
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2010, 03:23 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

DOC

Found this: http://www.fac-assoc.org/20TASSOpening.htm

looks like alot of info.

My dad was with the "Mosquitos" in Korea, another group of FAC's.
In Vietnam he was with the "Dirty Thirty" in 62-63

Hope this helps

Dave
Old 08-08-2010, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the link! I had found some others but didnt get replies from emails. Looks like he was actually in the 19th tass no the 20th (that link you sent still led to some 19th links that led to contacts.) I got ahold of the one guy who was one of the crew chiefs for that unit and he is relaying the info to the enlisted guys he knows from that unit as well.

Thanks
Doc
Old 08-09-2010, 04:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

If you want, you can start a Remembrance for him at AirForceTogetherWeServed.com - free.

A good way to reach many who may have known him or know more about what he did with whom and when etc.