The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Military Weapons

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2003, 03:14 PM

Default Lock and Load

As a range safety officer, I would announce Lock (engage safety), Load 1 clip or magazine (depending on the weapon) three rounds, eight rounds, twenty rounds etc., Prepare to fire (unlock safety), Fire. This would enable all the students or qualifiers to be able to complete the firing sequence in the same time frame and not miss targets because they weren't prepared.

De Oppresso Liber.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

That's what I thought too, but the saying stops at LOAD, so it gives the impression that a weapon is ready to fire, which it is not, yet.
I guess it's just a colorful way of abbreviating the same thing...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

Trainees on the range are not what I would call FUN. I've had too many guns pointed at me by the ignorant ones. I had one dumbass point a shotgun at my nuts twice. The first time, I pushed the muzzle down range and gave him a polite, yet pissed warning. The second time, I told him that if he didn't keep it pointed at the target I was going to take it from him, beat him with it, shove it up his ass and pull the trigger. He didn't do it again.

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)

Old 09-11-2003, 10:17 AM

No, I wouldn't call trainees on the range fun, but someone has to train them to do it "the right way". You didn't know everything when you started out. You had to be taught and have to remember that we are not born as warriors but need to be guided by those with experience. Some of these young troops have never handled a weapon before and have no idea what the "rules" are.

De Oppresso Liber.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:18 AM

[quote]Originally posted by sfga6970 No, I wouldn't call trainees on the range fun, but someone has to train them to do it "the right way". You didn't know everything when you started out. You had to be taught and have to remember that we are not born as warriors but need to be guided by those with experience. Some of these young troops have never handled a weapon before and have no idea what the "rules" are.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

yup, like me for one... though I didn't point anything at anybody (or myself), in those days the AF didn't give us enough time to get stupid on a range.

Ever since though, I've been imagining how great it would be for high schools to offer gun safety classes... sorta like we used to have shop and driver's ed.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:41 PM

Default BLUEHAWK

My father was a Choctaw from Texas, Grandmother from the reservation in Oklahoma. I learned about tracking and hunting from an early age. He taught me safety and respect for weapons as soon as I could hold one. These were lessons I will never forget and try to pass on to those who were not as fortunate as I was.

In the Army, it finally dawned on me that most people didn't have the same experience I had as a youth, cut them some slack and trained them in the proper handling of firearms. Most people are not "stupid", they are just untrained and have to be given the chance to learn. It's like learning to drive, you aren't born with the ability, but you can be taught.

I agree that there should be classes taught in High School. If students had proper training there would be fewer gun accidents and a greater respect for the damage weapons can inflict. I would feel more secure going into the woods with someone who has handled a weapon all his/her life than someone who just bought it last week at K-Mart.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:54 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

sfga -
Thats kinda the way it should be it seems... nobody, and I do mean nobody in any part of my family either side ever fired or even showed a weapon of any sort when I was growing up. There was no hunting, in other words, even though we all lived on farms, hard to imagine isn't it.

I was real interested in guns and hunting, but nobody would show me anything about it, so I had to make it up as I went along. I turned out to be a very good shot that one time on the AF range though, 6 points short of Expert first time out, always was proud of that. I had no fear of the M-1, but I noticed some guys were really afraid, they made even me nervous though I didn't know squat. I could seem them shaking every time they pulled a trigger. You sure are right about needing to be trained with weapons, my land yes! The earlier the better.

I think I shoulda seen if the Marines or Army infantry would've given me a chance.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:09 PM

Default BLUEHAWK

It seems funny that our experiences with weapons were completely opposite. You were raised on a farm and never had a chance to learn about weapons and I was raised in New York City and went hunting from the time I could get a license. It is ironic how stereotypes get accepted. Based on your background versus mine, you should be the hunter, not me.

By the way, I went to a military high school in New York City and we were all trained to handle weapons. As a matter of fact, I was on the rifle team because I was already experienced.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:32 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

sfga -
That is odd isn't it, the two ways of life we had.

I absolutely begged to go to military school, to the point of getting yelled at over it. Tried to send my youngest son and his mother had a hissy fit. My father was an enlisted CO during WW II, though they sent him to Los Alamos to help build the big one. They were methodist minister type families, mainly pacifists I guess. Every time I'd get in a fist fight as a kid, I'd get punished win or lose, for fighting.

Born into the wrong household I reckon. I think I needed to speak with the Lord personally about maybe having a different AFSC a hair sooner.