Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up Afghanistan: Live Explosives Removed From Soldier's Scalp

Afghanistan: Live Explosives Removed From Soldier's Scalp

Explosive Device Lodged in Scalp of Soldier at Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan

By COURTNEY HUTCHISON
ABC News Medical Unit

Apr. 9, 2010—

Risking a deadly explosion in the operating room, doctors at the Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan surgically removed an explosive device from the head of an Afghan National Army Soldier last month, according to the Air Force News Service.

The 2.5-inch unexploded ordnance became lodged in the patient's scalp during an improvised explosive device attack. But when the patient arrived for treatment, doctors thought it was only a piece of scrap metal, the Air Force reported.

"Initially, I thought it was a spent end of some sort of larger round," Lt. Col. Anthony Terreri, the radiologist at the Craig Joint Theater Hospital who checked the patient's CAT scan, told the Air Force.

"I saw that it was not solid metal on the inside," he said. "I then looked at the [CAT scan] image and could see there was an air gap on one end and what looked almost like the tip of a tube of lipstick at the end and decided this didn't look quite right."

Unnecessary personnel were immediately evacuated and an explosive ordnance disposal team was summoned in preparation for surgery, Maj. John Bini, the 455th Expeditionary Medical Group-Task Force Medical East trauma director, told the Air Force.

Several patients and personnel had to stay on, however, because they could not be evacuated for medical reasons.

"It was kind of a case of Murphy's Law coming into play," Tech. Sgt. William Carter, a medical technician at the hospital, told the Air Force.

"We had an [operating room] full of trauma cases and we had people in other rooms who were busy taking care of patients and it was really an all-hands-on-deck event."

Donning body armor and crossing their fingers, the trauma team at Bagram went to work to remove the ordnance. Luckily, things went off without a hitch, Bini told the Air Force.

The ordnance safely removed, neurosurgery on the patient commenced.
Device Removed, Prognosis Is Promising

"The images available on the CT scan shows a depressed skull fracture involving the right front part of the brain," said Dr. David Palestrant, director of neurocritical care at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

"The good news is that the [ordnance] did not penetrate the skull, [but] the force of the impact can still cause significant injury to brain structures that may not be apparent at first."

Trauma director Bini told the Air Force, "The patient does have a traumatic brain injury but his neurologic condition continues to improve on a daily basis."

Given that the device did not penetrate the skull, added Dr. Antonio Chiocca, chairman of Department of Neurological Surgery at Ohio State University, "his prognosis should be relatively good."

Copyright © 2010 ABC News Internet Ventures

This CAT scan image shows the placement of the explosive incendiary round that was removed from the scalp of an Afghan National Army soldier at Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan. The injury was sustained during an improvised explosive device attack.
(Courtesy U.S. Air Force)

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ry?id=10321499

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Default Sorry DJ I didn't see your post

It's quite remarkable how these freak happenings don't get reported. I would imagine he's making a recovery and hopefully there's no permanent damage. These Doc's sure deserve their pay on days like this. I bet this soldier is counting his lucky stars for this second chance he has. I hope all goes well.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote