The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Gulf War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2003, 07:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Colors of meat...

In Vietnam at times they would bring out "hot meals". They were in metal canisters, ( Merrimac cans ? ), and would invariably include green-tinted-roast-beef-like-meat...I was always afraid to ask why the color or what it really was. Never ate any of it. We also had eggs, potatoes, and just about everything else out of the can - powdered and crappy. We were lucky with milk though. It seems they had a dairy in Vietnam and we could get fresh quarts from time to time. As far as sodas and beer...we really got screwed..
we only got rusty cans of Black Label and a lot of off brand sodas plus the banned-in-the states-with-saccahrin-Fresca. they would also bring out a block of ice and you had to roll your can on it to get it cold. I learned to enjoy C- rations, as there were always plenty around. We could carry tons of them in the APCs. A real treat sometimes, if you could find them ( seems the ARVNs always had them ) were what we called "LRRP rations", the forerunners of MREs...Generally our food sucked....big-time. Whenever we would have a stand-down
( only remember two and the pre-Cambodian invasion blowout )
they would feed us some steaks. Not bad. We spent most of the time in the field and in arty fire bases. Ever had burned coffee ? We had a cook who was a master of this dish ..LOL

Larry
Old 02-28-2003, 08:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Great stories. I think "mystery meat" has been in the Army since the Civil War !
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 02:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

I was at Khobar Towers for 30 days in Jan before they blew up the Towers I left early because a 747 decided to turn the wrong way and the jet blast at close quarters threw me and a 300# fire extinguisher across the flight line for a few feet and the 300#'r broke my left tibia and this airman was med evac home to McChord AFB, after I healed up good I got sent back to a little piece of Sand called Prince Sultan AB living in Airforce 8 man tents and the food at Prince Sultan was much better at the chow hall though the menu rotated weekly so every friday it was the same meal as last week.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Welcome to the site Jerry D :cl:
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 12:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Thanks David and Happy St. Pattys Day
Old 04-21-2003, 04:02 PM

I went through KT just for a clean uniform...lol.Our supply SGT. sold all our stuff before we left the states so when we got to Saudi there was no desert ANYTHING!!!Kinda funny really.I never ate there but we did used to frequent a "chicken" joint at Dammam port while we were unloading our bardges.Really wasn't too sure about that place either.In the mornig there were sea gulls and by night fall there were none.I think the gulls just got full of bread and flew away....lol.Ready made bread crunb stuffed "chicken"...lol.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Shortdawg

Funny that you mention Chicken. We hadn't had any real meat for quite some time and when we returned to Saudi there was a roadside joint that had half a "chicken" and pita bread. Man did it taste good. lol
Out