The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2010, 10:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Post Birddog's "DEROS Never"

A book review for a book written by my buddy Tom LaRoe, published recently on Yahoo FACnet:
----------
As I read/record/archive materials to preserve our FAC legacy I am sometimes rewarded with an uncommon find. This one is in the form of an obscure book that I have had sitting on my desk for some time. I neglected to review it because the cover and comments suggested a predictable/self serving excursion into the political "plight" of MIA/POWs, a "Fonda" fling at the U.S. Government if you will? I was wrong.

The book "DEROS Never" is a fictional account of a .... Yes, 3CB, one of your own.... an 0-1 mechanic assigned to the 21st TASS at Danang, who wrangles a never-to-be-forgotten ride as a Covey Rider only to have it become a routine assignment. The action is swift, authentic and engrossing, with neither patronizing excursions into minutia or shallow diversions from the central theme. Written in the first person, the book takes the rider on a series of FAC engagements in Laos and along the HCMT before finding himself in an E & E situation. When eventually captured near Sam Nuea our Covey Rider turns his focus toward survival and careing for the wounded on both sides to earn the opportunity to save American POWs.

This book is NOT a soap box for indignation or inhumanity, but it does address situations such as Lima 85, CIA Drug Ops and "Phoenix...," with the suggestion that the CIA never intended to let Laotian POWs return for fear of disclosing nefarious activities and drug trafficing as a means to fund their covert activities? I doubt that would be a surprise to anyone of us.

So, altogether, "DEROS Never" is a straight forward page tuner, with never a dull moment. It is a well written, concise, focused observation of our world as it was..., and as it might have been?

DEROS Never
Author: Thomas LaRoe
ISBN"0-971130-0-X
Amazon.com

I am giving it a 2 on the FAC list for action and authenticity, BUT I am also giving it a #1 on the readability list.., and I don't do that very often!

Hope you all have a prosperous New Year!

FLY SAFE!
(Movie at 7)

AL Matheson/Nail 213

A brotherhood of a war long past...
Friends from the beginning, Friends to the last.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200321.jpg (4.5 KB, 4 views)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
vietnam facs