The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry No License, No Insurance -- No Punishment?

This appeared on KGTV San Diego on Tuesday Nite and thought you might like to read it.

Rick

http://www.10news.com/investigations...34/detail.html

One in four drivers has no insurance, no valid registration and no driver's license.

Why? Because there is no consequence for breaking that law.

The poster child for this crime is blatant repeat offender, Yesenia Nunez.

"I would love to see some sort of justice being served here," said Dave Layton.

Layton had a violent run-in with Nunez, an Orange County woman, on Nov. 24, 2005.

Nunez was speeding, ran a red light and sideswiped Layton's SUV.

"There was blood everywhere. and I saw her in her car with airbags deployed. She was trying to start her car to leave. She was actually trying to leave the scene," said Layton.

The 10News I-Team learned Nunez had no driver's license, no registration and no auto insurance.

Layton, a father of 3, suffered severe and permanent back injuries that put him out of work.

Nunez received a ticket that she did not bother to pay -- and that is just the beginning.

"This person has been in three accidents.," said Layton.

Nunez's pattern goes back many years.

In October 2003, Nunez had her first car accident and had no insurance. She pleads guilty and then ignored the fine.

In October 2005, Nunez received another citation for having no insurance, no driver's license and no registration. She is fined, fails to pay it and fails to show up in court.

Nunez also thumbed her nose at the ticket she was issued one month later for crashing into Layton. The fines for running the red light, having no license and insurance go ignored.

"By and large, our laws are for the law abiding," said retired superior court judge Larry Stirling.

We showed Stirling Nunez's history and he believes she is like many in the system -- they rarely play by the rules.

"The people who actually come to court are the exception, not the rule," he added.

The Orange County Superior Court never even issued an arrest warrant for Nunez after all of her accidents.

The I-Team found that the Department of Motor Vehicles took some action, suspending Nunez's once-valid license twice.

That is where the consequences end.

Judge Stirling said the lack of enforcement of traffic violations is a danger to the public.

"The No. 1 cause of death, personal injury, and property damage in the state of California is not from violations of the penal code, it's from violations of the traffic code," said Stirling.

It was a penal code violation -- drug-related crime -- which forced Nunez to finally show up for court. The charges she faced on this day were drug possession, intent to sell, street gang association and being a criminal accessory.

Layton is hopeful, "Now, I'd like to see her go to jail."

Layton is also hopeful because the I-Team told the Orange County district attorney everything they've uncovered.

In addition, the I-Team found that Nunez was hiding assets, transferring her car and home to her mother -- all against the law.

All of this info told to the district attorney's office in Orange County where Nunez lives.

Three months after her first court appearance on the drug charges, it is sentencing day. It's time for some justice, that's what Dave Layton hopes for.

But it doesn't happen.

"I'm very disappointed today," said Layton.

The court drops all charges against Nunez, except the least serious one of drug possession.

She paid a small fine, but the court does not force her to pay her traffic fines.

I-Team reporter Lauren Reynolds approached Nunez after her court appearance and asked, "Do you think the laws don't apply to you? Do you continue to drive without insurance, without a license? You don't have anything to say?"

Nunez stayed silent, but the vehicle she drives off in, a white Toyota Camry, showed signs of serious damaged.

It was another accident, but there was no way to tell if Nunez was again behind the wheel.

"She doesn't care. This is just a bad person," said Layton.

The I-Team wanted answers.

A letter was written by the I-Team to the Orange County superior court, the district attorney's office and the state attorney general. It asked why Nunez has been allowed to "get away with it" for so long.

The day the court received the letter, an arrest warrant for Nunez was finally issued.

The court blamed a clerical error.

The warrant forced Nunez to go into court, where she paid $260 and is making payments on the $1,400 she also owes.

Layton has now won a civil judgment against Nunez, but she has not paid him a dime. Now, he is going after her hidden assets we reported on.

The Orange County DA's office never responded to the I-Team's letter that asked why they allowed Nunez to settle her drug charges without paying the court the money she already owed.

However, a spokesperson for the court said they have made improvements in their collections department.

Last edited by HARDCORE; 11-15-2007 at 06:21 AM. Reason: wrong word
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2007, 08:55 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Seems like all you need is this country is a Hispanic sounding name and you're all set. When in doubt, play the race card.