The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2003, 10:18 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Spent four nights on the Appalachian Trail.

I got the wanderlust and took off for a 25 miler. I hit the trail Sunday and went about 2 miles and set my tent up for the night. My tent has aluminum poles that are quite flexible and that was good because the wind got so high the tent kept hitting me in the face as I slept. It rained all night and the next day I did about seven more miles to a trail shelter on Big Bald Mountain. If you remember my little tour, Packo, it was to the right as you came over Sam's Gap into Tennessee from North Carolina. There is a big rock near the top that back in the 1820's was the home of Hog Greer. He had been jilted by his girlfriend and became a hermit on top the mountain. He dug out under the rock and made himself a little dwelling which he shared with his hogs. To keep them from running off (and possibly jilting him again) he dug trenches around the area. He was quite violent to humans and was later killed in a fight. Do you think there is something odd about my area of the state? But I digress. I met up with some hikers that had hiked down from Maine. They are usually college kids and these were no exception. It got down to 23 degrees on the mountain that night and we woke up to an inch of snow. Tonight at home it is 25 degrees here 4000 feet lower and it is really pouring the snow so that means it is about 15 degrees on Big Bald Mountain. I guess that has put these people on my mind but I have no doubt as to their safety. They have been ouside since April or May and are doing fine. I guess the whole point of this is that I am reassured that the youth of this country are in quite fine shape and we have nothing to worry about. Kids like these and my scouts that went on a twenty-two mile day hike in the mountains a couple of weeks ago, one of whom was nine years old, and Sgt Gatewood's outstanding young man make me proud and hopeful for our country.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Back Into the Late Seventies / Early Eighties

Back when I was young and in good health I got into Mtn Climbing. Climbed most of the major peaks in the Cascades. Including Mt. Rainier at 14,410 ft.

One time my climbing partner decided we needed to do a winter climb on Mt. Rainier. I want you all to know that sleeping on a Glacier at -35 F is just plain dumb! I don't care what kind of gear you have, you are cold!!!

Fred, Some personal advice from an old back packer and Mtn Climber, leave the winter stuff for he kids.

But, you know I miss back backing! Someday we'll have to get together and do a hike.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 10:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I wasn't too worried because I knew the southbound thru hikers were still coming through. I always go prepared for about -20 in the winter or even worse.... 40 degress and pouring the rain. I tell you Keith, Mt Rainier is truly spectacular but it is outside my ability I am sure. I hope someday to go hiking out there. Once you have seen it, it pulls at you.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:53 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Fred

I am also reassured to know that these kids have a fine man like you to be a mentor to them.Bless you,sir,and keep doin us proud!

Peace,Griz
Old 11-28-2003, 11:55 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Fred,

The book you sent me on the Appalachian Trail stays out where I can put my hands on it when my spirit needs a break. The Lord surely put you in a beautiful place. My Sis is back in Roan County TN. Her heart has always been in East TN. It's no mystery to me as to the reason why. She's come full circle now and is home with her children and grandchildren.Maybe in the spring ifthe Lord iswilling and the creek doesn't rise I'll be over your way. I don't find the story of the hermit so strange because I "are" one. Although my propensity is to stay away from hogs learning a lesson quite young that they get mean when you get near their little ones. It's a mystery to me though why he got so mean over being jilted.If we could have talked my thought would have been to tell him it is better to be under a rock on a beautiful mountainthan in a large house with someone that doesn't love or respect you. Or better yet old Hog should have just looked at the lass and used my famous line "I'm sorry you missed me". But your story reminded me of why I love your part of the country there is a tale to be told at every bend of the road.

Peace,

Arrow>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 11-29-2003, 07:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Being........out...side???

Fred:
What do you do when you want to have a BAD time??

James

Really, if you ever get out here to the Best Coast I'll show you some places---that you can drive to
Old 11-29-2003, 08:34 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

When Tom and Andy were here I took them up to Roan Mountain. We went a 100 yards or so on Round Bald. We all just lay down in the grass and watched the clouds roll by. I wish I could have shown them all that was on the other side of the bald such as what you have in that book.
James, we recently acquired a skydiver into our troop. He is 11 so he is not old enough to go alone but he is content to be strapped to his daddy and fall out of a plane. And, yes, he is a handful in scouts.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Calling me back

Quote:
Originally posted by 1CAVCCO15MED James, we recently acquired a skydiver into our troop. He is 11 so he is not old enough to go alone but he is content to be strapped to his daddy and fall out of a plane. And, yes, he is a handful in scouts.
I may actually do this again myself, I'd really like to do it on D Day 04
. And anybody who tries to live with a paratrooper will tell you how rough it is. I can't live with anyone nor want to, I GOT to have my space.
Sounds like youre walking in some beautiful spaces. I intend to cruise TNN next time I go that way (April?May?) so think of a cool spot Got a digital cam? post some pictures!

James
Old 11-29-2003, 11:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Lotsa purty places. Depends on when you come. Middle to late June is good for the best flowers. That is when the rhodedendron and flame azelias bloom. I'll try to post some pictures.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Doc you do have your little peace of heaven . I 'm so glad you are big enough to share it with us. like arrow I too look at your Appalachian book quite often. its beautiful, As you know buddy Joan and I will be in Charleston S.C. next september how far is that from your neck of the woods? sure would like to share a bowl of grits with you and Shirley.