The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2003, 01:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

It's just down the road about 300 miles. We'll sure have to get together.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:31 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Cav,

I had to smile at thevisual of the three of you laying in the grass watching the clouds go by. The most striking thing about moments like that is the silence. Griz took me to his mountains and when we stepped out of the truck it was as though I were standing on another planet. The silence was delicious esp for one that lives with city sounds night and day. I want to see your mountains for one time in my life when the flowers are in bloom. I really think Griz should come by with Kati and bring me your way don't you?

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 06:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

By all means, come on down.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:47 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Doc,

Could do without the 23 degrees in a flapping tent that hits me in the face.......but I will never forget lyin' in that meadow. Deb and I talk often about it and how the matted grass felt like a feathered bed. Chris, it's probably 4.5 hours from Charleston....worth the trip from Lowcountry to Highcountry. Just hope the Starbucks right by Doc's is still open. Great breakfast and an even greater cage of baby rattlesnakes.

James, nothing in life would thrill me more than to make the D-Day Jump. Blasting from a C-47 with D-Day stripes would make my life complete. Last visit to my Ortho I asked him about it. (Had my Musse' Airborne hat on.) I think he's still laughing and that was a couple weeks ago.

Doc, I have my App Trail sticker proudly displayed on my pickup. Can't wait to get back up thar agin. None of your stories about the people up there shock me. Remember, I got to live in West Virginia for awhile. I still have nightmares.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 12-01-2003, 05:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Fred,...

...Hope you enjoy every step of the way,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 12-01-2003, 07:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Brentwood TN

Fred

how far are you away from Brentwood TN?
That is the home of my Lrrp Company's President, former secretary. he runs the Assoc out of his home office (He's a realtor) He is a real friend to me and I want to see him when I go south next year
Thought if he was close I could kill 2 birds with one stone--wait a minute--not a good metaphor. anyway I could swing by; optimal if theres proximity. This would be probably April
I want to stop on the other end (Memphis) and see Larry if possible, shiloh too. Drive down the length of TN and windup in Bragg. then the Carolina (s?) and Atlanta, Mobile, back to NOLA intime for one weekend of the Jazz n Htge Fest. hookup with Ron and Dave in the Crawdad Fest I hope. Wanna be seeing as much of CW stuff as possible but not exclusively.
These things take greater shape as the time approaches, I like to just throw up thesail and see where I go

james
Old 12-01-2003, 09:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I live about 275 miles due east of Brentwood. This was a little different than the usual in the Civil War or as we call it around here the Virginian Invasion.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:19 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool E. Tenn.

23 degrees? That means it?s a good idea to wear a flannel shirt, probably a t-shirt under it. As far as the tent slapping you in the face, next time consider rolling over. A temp of zero means you ask your wife if she remembers where she put the winter coats.

On the back window of my car is a 25th ID sticker along with one that says, ?Agent Orange Health Club - Life Member?. Now I have the ?I walked the App Trail? and no one believes me. Flopping down in that tall grass was nice but hell I flop down all the time.

I will go up any of those mountains Doc, Old Bald or whatever, so long as Shirley is driving. Spend the night anywhere too, so long as there is a warm shower and at least a double bed. However, it?s great to know that at least one of us is still doing 15 mile hikes.

To anyone going to East Tennessee, you must, you must go to Doc?s Starbucks. That place, the Deakin's hospitality and Fred?s father-in-law not knowing if it was Packo or me who was from Massachusetts, those were the highlights of our trip.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 12-01-2003, 05:18 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James :

It is pretty much a straight line from Arrow,to me and Topp in Memphis, to your friend in Brentwood ( near Nashville ), to Fred and on to Packo....Sid is not too far away from Huntsville at the border of TN. and Alabama, I think. Looking forward to showing you around. There are a lot of sights around here I have never seen, Graceland included...I wasn't much of an Elvis fan..

Larry

P.S. : You will notice a distinct difference as you travel across Tennessee. In 7th grade TN history class we learned we were really the "3 states of Tennessee"...the West is Confederate...the Middle is confused..and the East is the damned Yankees ! LOL
Old 12-02-2003, 08:35 AM
Doc.2/47

We're confused in middle Tennessee?Well I'll have you know..there ain't...well maybe some are a mite...least I knew this fella onest...so there!!

With all due respect to Doc Fred's mountains-which are indeed mighty pretty(but awful hard on the feet)-there ain't nowhere any nicer than the Tenn. hillcountry.Woods,rivers, lakes,waterfalls,caves.The Stones River battlefield is just up the road a little piece.

Y'all get out this way,y'all stop on by now.Ya heah?