The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2008, 03:32 PM

Default Appeals court rejects Agent Orange suits

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_New...ge_suits/3246/ CLICK HERE TO READ ARTICLE

Or just read on

The three-judge panel said makers of herbicides that comprised Agent Orange were protected by the "military contractor defense," which shields independent contractors from liability when fulfilling government procurement contracts.

The court said the use of Agent Orange was lawful because the herbicide was not used as a weapon against people, but rather was used to clear vegetation to protect U.S. troops from ambush.

Posted Feb 23, 2008 08:45 AM PST
COMMENTS OF whatreallyhappened WEBMASTER
The court said the use of Agent Orange was lawful because the herbicide was not used as a weapon against people, but rather was used to clear vegetation to protect U.S. troops from ambush.

Apparently, these folks believe that it is perfectly fine to poison people slowly, over time, with genetic defects passed down through generations (as has happened in Viet Nam), because they have a job to do, which is killing the enemy immediately.

And nothing, not even the price our vets had to pay, over time, can possibly be more important than that immediate job.

I would be willing to bet that this will be precisely the same argument used by future administrations when the horrific toll of the use of depleted uranium on our vets becomes known.

Appeals court rejects Agent Orange suits

Published: Feb. 22, 2008

NEW YORK, Feb. 22 (UPI) -- A U.S. appeals court has upheld the dismissal of lawsuits by veterans, their families and Vietnamese nationals over the use of Agent Orange in the Vietnam War.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in New York issued three opinions affirming lower court ruling that dismissed 16 civil actions against Dow Chemical Co., Monsanto Co. and other chemical makers.

The three-judge panel said makers of herbicides that comprised Agent Orange were protected by the "military contractor defense," which shields independent contractors from liability when fulfilling government procurement contracts.

In one of the cases the court rejected claims by the Vietnam Association for Victims of Agent Orange/Dioxin that the use of Agent Orange was a violation of international law.

2008 United Press International. All Rights Reserved.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2008, 11:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default As I recall...

Dow Chemical and others settled the AO lawsuit years ago and so much money was put into a fund and dispersed to Veterans with AO related problems. The money ran out soon before lots of other diseases were added to the list. As the suit was settled....I don't think they can be sued again, but what do I know. Hopfully someone else has the info. I had not even heard that there was another suit out there. Thanks for the info.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote