Old 06-26-2005, 08:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Bush finally going to Vietnam!

Bush Vows Increased Ties With Vietnam

Protests Mark Leader's Visit to White House

By Jim VandeHeiWashington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, June 22, 2005; Page A01

Thirty years after the end of a war that divided the United States and ravaged his own country, Vietnamese Prime Minister Phan Van Khai yesterday became the first leader of his nation to visit the White House and won promises from President Bush to bolster economic and military ties between the former enemies.

With hundreds of Vietnam War veterans and pro-democracy protesters rallying outside the White House gates, Bush announced plans to visit Vietnam next year and support Vietnam's admission to the World Trade Organization , a big victory for Khai

"This event, in itself, shows that Vietnam-U.S. relations have in fact entered a new stage of development," said Khai, the highest-ranking Vietnamese official to visit the White House since the Communists won the war in 1975. "I'm fully confident that my visit to America this time will help uplift the relationship between our two countries to a new height."

Disagreements remain. In a private meeting, Bush pushed Khai to try and do more to promote human rights and religious freedom in a country accused of stifling dissenting voices and people of faith, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said. At a joint appearance with Bush, Khai attributed the differences to "the different conditions that we have, the different histories and cultures."

The protesters offered a much harsher assessment of Khai's Vietnam, waving signs saying, "Stop Religious Repression." In a full-page ad that ran in yesterday's Washington Post, a group called a Call for Democracy accused the ruling government of adhering to an "obsolescent Communist ideology" that smothers freedom.

Bush, in brief remarks to reporters, said the two leaders signed a "landmark agreement that will make it easier for people to worship freely in Vietnam." The president, whose stateside service in the National Guard during the Vietnam War was an issue in the 2004 election, praised Khai for his government's effort to help find the remains of more than 520 U.S. soldiers who were killed in Vietnam and never found.

Bush said he will visit Vietnam in 2006 when it hosts the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum's annual summit, where world trade will be high on the agenda.

#########

Looks like the Chickenhawk-in-Chief will FINALLY make to Vietnam after all. How quaint.

It's my understanding that Prime Minister Phan Van Khai leaned over and whispered into Bush's ear, "Don't worry it's SAFE now, my people won't be shooting at you like they would have been when you were to scared to come over in the 1960's and 70's".

Now where in the HELL is all the outrage and condemnation of GEE-W for doing THIS!.......Like there was a few short years ago when Clinton re-established relations with these folks, HUH?? :cd: :cd:

Where's your outrage Republicans? Where's all the vitrolic conemnation of YOUR boy, huh? I guess it's OK for him though, right? :cd: :cd:

How silly of me. I simply forgot just how much you folks follow the "hypocritcal oath"! :re: :re:

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2005, 02:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Since neither of us, nor anyone else on PF (to my knowledge) was present during the White House meeting of the two leaders, it is not possible to know what was actually said and done.

However, to arrive at the opinion stated following the Washington Post report, based upon what was IN the report, appears to be an unrelated response.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Uh Huh,

Yep.............Exactly the "response" I would expect from you Blue.

Jukin & Jivin & Dodging the question(s) as usual, huh?

Which were...."Now where in the HELL is all the outrage and condemnation of GEE-W for doing THIS!.......Like there was a few short years ago when Clinton re-established relations with these folks, HUH??"

"Where's your outrage Republicans? Where's all the vitrolic condemnation of YOUR boy, huh? I guess it's OK for him though, right?"

Is this a malady particularly prevalent in museum directors? Or just ones with a somewhat "right-leaning" tendencies?

Just asking.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 06-28-2005, 01:57 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Seems to me that there is plenty of "vitriolic condemnation" of the President already flyin' around... is any more needed?

Publishing an opinion about what took place during a private White House conference between world leaders is not the same thing as accurately reporting what took place and then letting people make up their own minds.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default For

Gosh sakes Blue................you CAN"T be that naive to not figure out the hypocrisy of what "your" compadres have done here CAN YOU.........REALLY???

The "point"....the outrageous "point" of what I'm getting at is THIS:

(1-A).. Clinton meets with Vietnam government officials and re-establishes relations with them.

(2-A).. He is CONDEMNED, VILIFIED, DEFAMED, CALLED A TRAITOR AND SCUMBAG (and more) for doing this by a large majority of Vietnam Veterans, the famlies of KIA's and MIA's and nearly all others of political persuasions associated with or aligned with the Republican party, and the Republicans in Congress. (and ESPECIALLY from folks on this very forum!)

(1-B).. Bush meets with the Vietnamese Prime Minister who won promises from President Bush to bolster economic and military ties between the former enemies.

(2-B).. Bush has very little opposition from these very same folk(s) for doing virtually the very same thing BUT.....BUT even goes FURTHER to include "military ties" with this regime ! A regime that has been charged with uncounted numbers of human rights violations and was condemned during the Clinton administrations negotiations to re-establish relations of slaughtering millions of innocent civilians.

You can't see the rank HYPOCRISY and total reluctance on their part to condemn Bush for virtually the EXACT SAME THING.....BUT OBVIUOSLY NOW EVEN WORSE????

Man..................you folks really ARE in DEEP DENIAL!
:cd: :cd:

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 06-28-2005, 08:53 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Re: For

Quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy Gosh sakes Blue................you CAN"T be that naive to not figure out the hypocrisy of what "your" compadres have done here CAN YOU.........REALLY???

The "point"....the outrageous "point" of what I'm getting at is THIS:

(1-A).. Clinton meets with Vietnam government officials and re-establishes relations with them.

(2-A).. He is CONDEMNED, VILIFIED, DEFAMED, CALLED A TRAITOR AND SCUMBAG (and more) for doing this by a large majority of Vietnam Veterans, the famlies of KIA's and MIA's and nearly all others of political persuasions associated with or aligned with the Republican party, and the Republicans in Congress. (and ESPECIALLY from folks on this very forum!)

(1-B).. Bush meets with the Vietnamese Prime Minister who won promises from President Bush to bolster economic and military ties between the former enemies.

(2-B).. Bush has very little opposition from these very same folk(s) for doing virtually the very same thing BUT.....BUT even goes FURTHER to include "military ties" with this regime ! A regime that has been charged with uncounted numbers of human rights violations and was condemned during the Clinton administrations negotiations to re-establish relations of slaughtering millions of innocent civilians.

You can't see the rank HYPOCRISY and total reluctance on their part to condemn Bush for virtually the EXACT SAME THING.....BUT OBVIUOSLY NOW EVEN WORSE????

Man..................you folks really ARE in DEEP DENIAL!
:cd: :cd:
Ya gotta go easier than that on an old guy

Howsomever, I do have a few comments:

Ahem,

1. You might be surprised who are and are not my "compadres" here on PF... some I make no bones about, others know who they are. Ya oughta desist from name-calling in any case. Try it, never know what kind of bees such honey might draw! :cl:

2. The reason some of us were not thrilled about what Clinton did about VN is that a lot of people are still very pissed off about the Viet Cong and NVA (not to mention Red China and USSR). My guess about the President is that he'd be far less likely to sell the entire farm for a bag full of nickles... which is why a good many of our fellow Americans like his presence in our government. Is that okay with you?

3. It IS possible, if not likely, that a good many Democrat families of KIA/MIA also share that sense of being entirely pissed off at Vietnam's government.

4. My guess is that Mr. Clinton was referred to as being a "scumbag" for reasons not having to do with his Vietnam policies.

5. Are you just after George W. Bush, or would you possibly be interested in a peaceful settlement of girevances?
Old 06-28-2005, 09:39 AM

Steve Steve, When are you going to learn if a great patriot like duddy dose it we aren't aload to say a word after all look what he's done for us economy is ticking along ,we're at peace with the world ,oops wrong that was Cinton .who would figger.

razz
Old 06-28-2005, 01:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Yup

You're right RAZZ!.................Who would-a "figured"? Certainly NOT any of those rightwingnuts that were screamin & hollerin at Clinton for the same...same! :cd:

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 06-28-2005, 02:00 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Well...

I'm a great deal more concerned about the purposeful and the accidental commies in our midst than I am about the fascisti at the moment... what with Red China and all.

Saddam was an avowed Stalinist, when all was said and done.

My hunch is that certain folks do not grasp the full meaning of their phrases.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

What was the background when Clinton visited Vietnam? It was such an insignificant event, for such an insignificant person, that I failed to even notice, much less even protest. Adding this trip to his other foreign policy successes, like Somalia, Haiti, Rwanda, and Zimbabwe, it's little wonder that I can't remember such details. Did he press for greater religious freedom while he was there? What did he actually accomplish?

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."