Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2003, 10:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Man admits lying about being Navy SEAL; denies he did it for money

http://www.abcactionnews.com/stories...fakeseal.shtml

Man admits lying about being Navy SEAL; denies he did it for money
an ABC Action News report 2/24/03
related story: Navy SEAL imposter lies his way into woman's heart, purse (2/21/03)

SAVANNAH, Ga. - In a report last week, ABC Action News investigator Laura McElroy tracked down a man accused of posing as a Navy SEAL to scam a Pinellas County woman. Though Lawrence Hammer (right) was not initially talkative, he did finally confess his version of the truth.

"Turn that [freaking] thing off," Hammer yelled at Laura. "I'm not going to talk to you people."

Hammer was much more talkative with Diane Hossley. She claims he was full of impressive Navy SEAL stories.

"I believed in him. He is very convincing. When he speaks to you, he looks you right in the eye and he is honest in his talk, and I'm not the only one that was taken by him," she explained.

When Laura McElroy tracked Hammer down in Savannah, she found two more women who claimed he used the exact same Navy SEAL line to gain their trust and take their money. Laura also discovered most people in his neighborhood know him as decorated war hero and a Navy SEAL.

"He was a founder of the Navy SEALs, one of the first generations of Navy SEALs," convinced neighbor David Smith said. "So he's very important and high ranking; a lot of people look up to him."

Should they?

"So I lied once. OK. So the wrong people got a hold of it and made a big deal out of it. It's not a big deal," Hammer admitted.

However, it is a big deal to Diane Hossley.

"It's absolutely disgusting. He's done nothing to earn what he walks around and claims to be, and people look up to him for it," she said.

Diane is now filing for bankruptcy. She says she was blinded by her respect for the uniform and allowed hammer to run up her credit cards and convince her to co-sign on this truck.

"I didn't take any money," Hammer insisted, denying Diane's accusations. But is it wise to take the word of an admitted liar?

"I'm not a Navy SEAL. I didn't do it. OK, but, I did say that I was at one time," he admitted. "My mistake. I'm sorry. I apologize, guys."

That apology is not doing Diane Hossley much good, though she has filed a complaint with the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office. Now the state attorney is investigating Hammer for possible grand theft charges, and the FBI is looking into his claim of earning the Medal of Honor.

In the meantime, former Navy diver Steve Waterman has Hammer listed on his Hall of Shame Web site that tracks down fake SEALs.

"I say they're using the bodies of guys who have given it all for their country to promote their self interest, and there's no place in hell fit for those kinds of people," he told Action News.