Old 08-14-2003, 04:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Station runners battle Fuji terrain

Station runners battle Fuji terrain
Submitted by: MCAS Iwakuni
Story Identification Number: 200381212442
Story by Cpl. Jeff Zaccaro

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION IWAKUNI, Japan -- A portion of the Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test is a three-mile run, and although it is usually on a flat, closed-course track, it can be enough to buckle over some of the most seasoned warriors.

For service members such as Dave Sasek and Darrin Bellows, the semiannual PFT is just a walk in the park compared to the run they did to the top of Mount Fuji July 25.

Starting at the Fuji Yo****a Government Building 12 miles from the summit of the majestic mountain, Sasek and Bellows stepped off with six other service members from the Station as well as nearly 3,000 runners from around the world.

Although almost a decade ago Sasek was one of the nearly 200,000 people that scale Mount Fuji every year, he had no idea what laid ahead.
"When climbers go up the mountain they usually start at the fifth station, about three miles from the top. We started about eight miles below that," he said. "When the race was about to start I had no idea what I was getting into."

What Sasek and the others were getting into was a strenuous journey through narrow trails, rocky terrain and the constant presence of altitude change and the effects it has on the body.

"I really started getting tired about seven miles up the mountain when the terrain started getting rocky and steep," said Sasek, who runs more than 17 miles every weekend. "The elevation made it really hard to breathe and the trails got so narrow and crowded that at points you had no choice but to walk."

Bellows, who is also an avid runner, agreed with the hardships Sasek faced.

"The first nine miles were basically a gradual 14-percent increase in grade," he said. "After that, the elevation offered a very big challenge, and the terrain turned into loose, slippery lava rock at about a 24-percent grade."

Since the run up the hill was more mentally and physically overwhelming than any hike, reaching the peak was even more rewarding.

"The last half hour of the run was the most difficult, because I didn't know where I was at or how far I had to go. I could hear the Japanese runners start to talk, and although I didn't know what they were saying, I knew we were getting close," said Sasek. "When I finally reached the top I was very happy to be there."

Although Bellows never found Sasek amongst the runners at the top, he felt the same way when his feet met the level ground.

"I was relieved and excited when I got to the top," he said. "The experience was well worth it."

Mount Fuji runners come out of a switch back into rocky terrain while on a run up the mountain July 25. More than 3,000 runners, including eight from the Station attempted the run.
Photo by: Cpl. Jeff Zaccaro

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links