The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2006, 02:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to inhonurofswa
Default Xin Loi, Viet Nam

Xin Loi, Viet Nam by Al Sever is the BEST book I have ever read. It was my first Vietnam book, that was written by someone who was there. My first book about any war was Brave Men, Gentle Heroes by Michael Takiff, which was a whole bunch of little memoirs from soldiers and parents from WW2 and Vietnam. But anyways, I was just wondering if anyone has ever read this book, it changed my life and views on what is really important. I really love this book and was just wondering that if you have read it, what you thought about it.

Taylor

Thanks for puttin' up with all my questions!!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2006, 04:13 PM

Taylor
Thanks for the information. I haven't read the book but will consider it. Your uncle would certainly be proud of you and your interest in the war and country that took his life. Good for you girl!

Raggedy Ann
Old 12-19-2006, 06:50 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I read that book also Taylor. You might want to read Goodnight Saigon by Chrarles Henderson it is about the last days in Vietnam with the fall of Saigon. Great Book. Another Good Book is Light Ruck, it was written by a soldier who was in the 4th Infantry Division in Vietnam.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 12-20-2006, 04:45 PM

Hi Taylor,

I have read _Xin Loi, Vietnam_ and Al Sever is a personal friend. He lives only a couple of miles from me.

I would personally recommend reading _We Were Soldiers Once . . . and Young_. This book was, to me, the best book covering a Vietnam campaign. After you read it watch the moving picture _We Were Soldiers_, starring Mel Gibson.

Robert - Not to be picky but _Goodnight Saigon was written by Charles Anderson. He also wrote _The Grunts_, another great book. In the book he writes about Marine Captain Gerald Sampson. He was from my hometown. He was well-respected by his troops, was KIA and awarded the Navy Cross. I did not know him but did know his mother (now deceased) and his sister. Anderson is a great writer.