Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default VA inspections show training flaws

AP

WASHINGTON – Fewer than half of Veterans Affairs clinics given a surprise inspection last month had proper training and guidelines in place for common endoscopic procedures such as colonoscopies — even after the agency learned that mistakes may have exposed thousands of veterans to HIV and other diseases.

The findings, from the VA's inspector general and obtained by The Associated Press, suggest that errors in colonoscopies and other minimally invasive procedures performed at VA facilities may be more widespread than initially believed.

The report is being released Tuesday at a hearing before a House Veterans Affairs subcommittee.

The surprise inspections were conducted May 13 and 14 at 42 VA facilities around the country. Just 18 facilities — or 43 percent of those inspected — could document that they had standard operating procedures in place for the procedures and had properly trained their staffs.

The investigation comes months after the discovery of an equipment mistake at Murfreesboro, Tenn., led to a nationwide safety campaign by the VA at its 153 medical centers calling attention to potential misuse of the equipment.

Along with Murfreesboro, the agency has said problems were identified at a Miami facility and at an ear, nose and throat clinic in Augusta, Ga. In February the agency started warning 10,000 former patients at those facilities, some who had colonoscopies as far back as 2003, to get blood tests for HIV and hepatitis.

The VA says the chance of infection is remote. As of Friday, the VA reported that six veterans taking the follow-up blood checks tested positive for HIV, 34 tested positive for hepatitis C and 13 tested positive for hepatitis B.

There is no way to prove whether the infections came from VA errors, and some experts say most or all of the infections probably already existed.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2009, 12:50 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default David,...

VA Facilities & Staff generally no different than Private Sector Hospitals, Doctors & Nurses.

It's usually: "A Cold Day in Hell" when either types will ever fess-up that screwed-up BIG TIME!

Besides, in general can't get 2 HONEST doctors agreeing whether tonsils should actually come
out or stay in & where God put them since needed in the first place. Whom can you believe?

Guess, that no matter where going for elective screenings or pokings & prodings scared-into,
it might be wise bringing along your own Quite Medically Knowledgeable Private Detective?
Round-the-clock guard by such a PI if chancing an overnight or more,...couldn't hurt either.

Also, often such pokings & prodings have actually caused what patient concerned about having.
Only recently made aware of such fromTV, enforcing my logic of: "If IT don't hurt leave IT alone".

Plus, have seen too many friends put through hell which believe was unwarranted.

Neil
Old 06-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Good points.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:15 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default David,...

Thanks.

Plus, would like taking this opportunity adding to Old Andy's quite wise & sage advising
sign-off of: "Stay Healthy" plus another thing,...since so many-damn-things-around that
nowadays can actually knock one out of this fragile box called: "Life".

Whether wanting to or forced dealing with The White Coat Crowd (or not),...Stay Lucky!
All the wishful thinking on earth can't beat just-plain-dumb-luck or what God Wills Be Done,
which I'm reasonably sure most can readily agree with. Basically: "Ce sera - sera".

Even the most healthy & well doctored persons in The World stepping off a curb............
can be wiped-out by a truck or whatever,...and whether 3 years or 93 years old.

Hell,...these days even surviving the womb not guaranteed for many poor defenseless
souls. Believe such usually referred to as either: "Progress" or "Progressive Ideology"??

I usually consider such a cavalier disregard for human life as: "Contraceptive Baby Killing".
Nothing more - nothing less.

Think me wrong or Not: "FAIR", "Sensitive" & "Tolerant" towards women in general, David?
I actually don't mean to be. I love most all women except: "Hanoi Jane Fonda", Nancy Pelosi & such.

Also, my not thinking women should have a litter of 8 INSTEAD of a warranted or needed
abortion...don't believe makes me a: "No Good Radical Right-Wing Racist Homophobe, either?
"Just calls 'em as I sees 'em".

Neil