The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2008, 05:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Obama denounces pastor's 9/11 comments

WASHINGTON AP - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama on Friday denounced inflammatory remarks from his pastor, who has railed against the United States and accused its leaders of bringing on the Sept. 11 attacks by spreading terrorism.
As video of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright has widely aired on television and the Internet, Obama responded by posting a blog about his relationship with Wright and his church, Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ, on the Huffington Post.

Obama wrote that he's looked to Wright for spiritual advice, not political guidance, and he's been pained and angered to learn of some of his pastor's comments for which he had not been present. A campaign spokesman said later that Wright was no longer on Obama's African American Religious Leadership Committee, without elaborating.
I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies," Obama said. "I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Reverend Wright that are at issue."

In a sermon on the Sunday after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, Wright suggested the United States brought on the attacks.

"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye," Wright said. "We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost."

In a 2003 sermon, he said blacks should condemn the United States.

"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people. God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme."

He also gave a sermon in December comparing Obama to Jesus, promoting his candidacy and playing down Clinton.

Questions about Obama's religious beliefs have dogged him throughout his candidacy. He's had to fight against false Internet rumors suggesting he's really a Muslim intent on destroying the United States, and now his pastor's words uttered nearly seven years ago have become an issue.

Obama wrote on the Huffington Post that he never heard Wright say any of the statements that are "so contrary to my own life and beliefs," but they have raised legitimate questions about the nature of his relationship with the pastor and the church.

He explained that he joined Wright's church nearly 20 years ago. He said he knew Wright as a former Marine and respected biblical scholar who lectured at seminaries across the country.

"Reverend Wright preached the gospel of Jesus, a gospel on which I base my life," he wrote. "... And the sermons I heard him preach always related to our obligation to love God and one another, to work on behalf of the poor, and to seek justice at every turn."

He said Wright's controversial statements first came to his attention at the beginning of his presidential campaign last year, and he condemned them. Because of his ties to the 6,000-member congregation church — he and his wife were married there and their daughters baptized — Obama decided not to leave the church.

Obama also has credited Wright with delivering a sermon that he adopted as the title of his book, "The Audacity of Hope."

"With Reverend Wright's retirement and the ascension of my new pastor, Rev. Otis Moss, III, Michelle and I look forward to continuing a relationship with a church that has done so much good," he wrote.

Also Friday, the United Church of Christ issued a 1,400-word statement defending Wright and his "flagship" congregation. John H. Thomas, United Church of Christ's president, lauded Wright's church for its community service and work to nurture youth. Other church leaders praised Wright for speaking out against homophobia and sexism in the black community.

"It's time for all of us to say no to these attacks and to declare that we will not allow anyone to undermine or destroy the ministries of any of our congregations in order to serve their own narrow political or ideological ends," Thomas said in the statement.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2008, 05:26 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The only thing I denounce from the pulpit is:

Polish cops for Indiana.

Keith
Old 03-14-2008, 05:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Talking Keith

Easy now, would hate to see a holy war breakout between IN and WA!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Talk about a political preacher:

I kinda wonder about seperation between church and state (I know it isn't in the constitution) when you listen to this guy preach.
I believe his religion and theological training is more political anti-Americanism than pure religion.

Keith

P.S. If I wasn't hasseling my friend Brother Bob, he'd feel neglected.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:14 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Disinvitation by Obama Is Criticized

CHICAGO, March 5 — The Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr., senior pastor of the popular Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago and spiritual mentor to Senator Barack Obama, thought he knew what he would be doing on Feb. 10, the day of Senator Obama’s presidential announcement.
After all, back in January, Mr. Obama had asked Mr. Wright if he would begin the event by delivering a public invocation.
But Mr. Wright said Mr. Obama called him the night before the Feb. 10 announcement and rescinded the invitation to give the invocation.
“Fifteen minutes before Shabbos I get a call from Barack,” Mr. Wright said in an interview on Monday, recalling that he was at an interfaith conference at the time. “One of his members had talked him into uninviting me,” Mr. Wright said, referring to Mr. Obama’s campaign advisers.
Some black leaders are questioning Mr. Obama’s decision to distance his campaign from Mr. Wright because of the campaign’s apparent fear of criticism over Mr. Wright’s teachings, which some say are overly Afrocentric to the point of excluding whites.
Bill Burton, a spokesman for the Obama campaign, said the campaign disinvited Mr. Wright because it did not want the church to face negative attention. Mr. Wright did however, attend the announcement and prayed with Mr. Obama beforehand.
“Senator Obama is proud of his pastor and his church, but because of the type of attention it was receiving on blogs and conservative talk shows, he decided to avoid having statements and beliefs being used out of context and forcing the entire church to defend itself,” Mr. Burton said.
Instead, Mr. Obama asked Mr. Wright’s successor as pastor at Trinity, the Rev. Otis Moss III, to speak. Mr. Moss declined.
In recent weeks, word of Mr. Obama’s treatment of Mr. Wright has reached black leaders like the Rev. Al Sharpton and given them pause.
“I have not discussed this with Senator Obama in detail, but I can see why callers of mine and other clergymen would be concerned, because the issue is standing by your own pastor,” Mr. Sharpton said
In Monday’s interview, Mr. Wright expressed disappointment but no surprise that Mr. Obama might try to play down their connection.
“When his enemies find out that in 1984 I went to Tripoli” to visit Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, Mr. Wright recalled, “with Farrakhan, a lot of his Jewish support will dry up quicker than a snowball in hell.” Mr. Wright added that his trip implied no endorsement of either Louis Farrakhan’s views or Qaddafi’s.
Mr. Wright said that in the phone conversation in which Mr. Obama disinvited him from a role in the announcement, Mr. Obama cited an article in Rolling Stone, “The Radical Roots of Barack Obama.” According to the pastor, Mr. Obama then told him, “You can get kind of rough in the sermons, so what we’ve decided is that it’s best for you not to be out there in public.”

So much for Mr. Obama not knowing anything about Mr. Wright’s outrageous remarks.
By the way, as we noted at the time the aforementioned Rolling Stone article was a complete steal lift from our January 25, 2007 article about this worthy:
The Radical Roots of Barack Obama

BEN WALLACE-WELLS
Feb 07, 2007
… The Trinity United Church of Christ, the church that Barack Obama attends in Chicago, is at once vast and unprepossessing, a big structure a couple of blocks from the projects, in the long open sore of a ghetto on the city’s far South Side. The church is a leftover vision from the Sixties of what a black nationalist future might look like. There’s the testifying fervor of the black church, the Afrocentric Bible readings, even the odd dashiki. And there is the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, a sprawling, profane bear of a preacher, a kind of black ministerial institution, with his own radio shows and guest preaching gigs across the country. Wright takes the pulpit here one Sunday and solemnly, sonorously declares that he will recite ten essential facts about the United States. “Fact number one: We’ve got more black men in prison than there are in college,” he intones. “Fact number two: Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run!” There is thumping applause; Wright has a cadence and power that make Obama sound like John Kerry. Now the reverend begins to preach. “We are deeply involved in the importing of drugs, the exporting of guns and the training of professional KILLERS. . . . We believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God. . . . We conducted radiation experiments on our own people. . . . We care nothing about human life if the ends justify the means!” The crowd whoops and amens as Wright builds to his climax: “And. And. And! GAWD! Has GOT! To be SICK! OF THIS SHIT!” This is as openly radical a background as any significant American political figure has ever emerged from, as much Malcolm X as Martin Luther King Jr. Wright is not an incidental figure in Obama’s life, or his politics. The senator “affirmed” his Christian faith in this church; he uses Wright as a “sounding board” to “make sure I’m not losing myself in the hype and hoopla.” Both the title of Obama’s second book, The Audacity of Hope, and the theme for his keynote address at the Democratic National Convention in 2004 come from Wright’s sermons. “If you want to understand where Barack gets his feeling and rhetoric from,” says the Rev. Jim Wallis, a leader of the religious left, “just look at Jeremiah Wright.” …
So, once again, S&L has helped shaped history. Once again readers are invited to peruse our ground-breaking coverage of Mr. Wright for more than a year in the related articles below.
Related Articles:http://sweetness-light.com/archive/f...ight-disinvite

Old 03-16-2008, 05:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Acorns and Oaks

For some twenty years, Obama has been attending this church, "As often as my work permits," according to Obama himself, a statement which speaks volumes about his commitment. So Obama and his entire family are steeped in the racial hatred and anti-Americanism that his fanantical preacher yells on a frequent basis. So by implication or association, Obama approves of what has been going on at his church for years; if now all of a sudden, he has this politically correct epiphany, then this revelation is suspect. Anyone who has attended a church for that long and didn't leave and join a different church is permanently tainted by the hateful rhetoric emanating from the pulpit.

Wright's sermons could be translated into Arabic, and they would make perfect propoganda for the muslim terrorists. Obama's protestations are ringing hollow, as his actions speak much louder; he cannot distance himself from this raging lunatic, and will pay a big price in the coming weeks. He is not to be trusted or believed.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-16-2008, 06:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Keith
Have you ever mentioned any of us in your Sunday sermons?

God bless the ACLU
Old 03-16-2008, 08:51 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Frisco,...

Re: "Obama denounces..."

Unless an idiot, wasn't much else that the proved to be quite shrewd Obama could do,
other than: "Denounce" his lifelong anti-America type preacher confidants. It's a no-brainer.

Regardless, and since so longtime tight with Farakant & Nation of Islam Religion, I
would say: "To hell with Barack's claim of praying to Jesus every night for the
last twenty years", and question any such quite purposefully making him a Christian?

Politics & politicians in general being so devious, deceptive and typically telling people what
they want to hear (real, imagined or fabricated), I would instead question just whom
exactly did Barack Hussein Obama Jr. pray to THE PREVIOUS 20 plus YEARS.
Has he permanently or just temporarily renounced Allah to help Dems: "Recapture The White House?

Neil

P.S. addressed to "Frisco" in error. Cannot Change.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScout View Post
For some twenty years, Obama has been attending this church, "As often as my work permits," according to Obama himself, a statement which speaks volumes about his commitment. So Obama and his entire family are steeped in the racial hatred and anti-Americanism that his fanantical preacher yells on a frequent basis. So by implication or association, Obama approves of what has been going on at his church for years; if now all of a sudden, he has this politically correct epiphany, then this revelation is suspect. Anyone who has attended a church for that long and didn't leave and join a different church is permanently tainted by the hateful rhetoric emanating from the pulpit.

Wright's sermons could be translated into Arabic, and they would make perfect propoganda for the muslim terrorists. Obama's protestations are ringing hollow, as his actions speak much louder; he cannot distance himself from this raging lunatic, and will pay a big price in the coming weeks. He is not to be trusted or believed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconeil View Post
Re: "Obama denounces..."

Unless an idiot, wasn't much else that the proved to be quite shrewd Obama could do,
other than: "Denounce" his lifelong anti-America type preacher confidants. It's a no-brainer.

Regardless, and since so longtime tight with Farakant & Nation of Islam Religion, I
would say: "To hell with Barack's claim of praying to Jesus every night for the
last twenty years", and question any such quite purposefully making him a Christian?

Politics & politicians in general being so devious, deceptive and typically telling people what
they want to hear (real, imagined or fabricated), I would instead question just whom
exactly did Barack Hussein Obama Jr. pray to THE PREVIOUS 20 plus YEARS.
Has he permanently or just temporarily renounced Allah to help Dems: "Recapture The White House?

Neil

P.S. addressed to "Frisco" in error. Cannot Change.

So let me get this straight...Barack Obama's pastor makes an ill-considered remark in the sanctity of his church, and Obama is called out in the public pulpit and made out to be somehow responsible for it. But, for the last 28 years(since the so-called Reagan revolution), lunatic right-wing radical Christian ministers can spew anti-gay, anti-woman, anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic, anti-science, anti-anything they feel appropriate bile from their pulpits, cable networks and talk shows; and summon the wrath of their god on anyone they choose; along with calling for the assassination of foreign leaders -- and the Republican presidents and politicians who consort with them not only get off scot free, they get away with branding the media as liberal. What the hell is wrong with you people...?

Republicans have devoted a lot of resources to the smearing the name of liberals, but it's high time that we are not going to let them get away with it.

The overwhelming majority of polling data repeatedly suggest that Americans are far more inclined to express liberal rather than conservative opinions regarding big business, the environment, energy policy, social issues and even foreign policy. That liberals remain on the defensive regarding the accusation that their positions are simply out of step with the facts and is more the product of effective conservative propaganda and credulous reporting than of any genuinely identifiable trends to the contrary of public opinion.

Pick any issue, foreign or domestic, social, economic, environmental or even religious, and you'll find not just majorities but supermajorities of Americans in favor of the 'liberal' position time after time. (Just one example, remember Terry Schiavo???)

Liberals have stood back while these "new" conservatives have attacked, through right-wing think tanks, through Fox News, through Rush Limbaugh and through all the other radio and TV "conservative" talk show hosts. Through all their outright lies, deception, half-truths and misinformation the conservatives have managed to nudge the media further and further to the right.

These conservative attacks portray the assumptions that liberals are “soft” on national defense and crime and conjure up labels – like “elitist,” “tax-and-spend,” and “anti-family” – that allow them to formulate a modern liberal public relations crisis. While any self-described liberal should realize the ridiculousness of these accusations, many of these lies and distortions are treated as fact by both conservative and moderate pundits and most media sources.

These conservative chicken-hawks who never once field-stripped a rifle or laced up a pair of combat boots much less shed blood for our country---- from the likes of Dick Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly and even that sicko Ann Coulter have the nerve and audacity to challenge the patriotism of those of us who DID not only serve this nation, but shed blood and suffered for it as well?----Who the F--K do they think they are anyway?

These staggering statistics, rational reasoning, and liberal principles are under-represented – and sometimes completely absent – in the so-called “liberal media.” If individuals would take the time to research the true history of liberalism, it would offer an opportunity for young progressive thinkers to read about a time when liberalism was unbelievably popular, and to discover the origins of these stereotypes that plague modern liberalism, an overwhelming majority of which are baseless.

Liberals have a unique opportunity at this particular moment in time. Especially in the wake of the utter catastrophe of the Bush regime. In order to reclaim their good name (Liberal), and provide the logic and compassion America needs to fight the reactionary politics and radical religious fundamentalism offered by these "new" conservatives---- you can count on some BIG changes from now on.

Since it's obvious and factual that a supermajority of Americans hold liberal viewpoints, but do not call themselves liberals mainly due to the past few decades of these "new" conservatives outright lies and deceptions regarding "Liberals". Our mission now is to correct the misconceptions spewed by these "new" conservatives and regurgitated by the mainstream media.

Liberals have in fact become a "new" silent majority, but thanks to George Bush and the radical right-wing elements of the Republican party, it has drastically changed this "silent majority" into a highly motivated vocal majority who are determined to demand the representation we deserve.

Better stand back conservatives, a change is-a coming!

None to soon-----either!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Friends,...

Even Secular Progressive Ideologue Zealots always adamently & concertedly preferring a Big Brother Governmnet over America remaining a: "One Nation under God", no doubt also believe that many typical Leftist Undermining Hacks like Gimpy are lately coming-off just too-damn-whimpishly sanctimonious & pius,...over supposed: "Born again": Obama.

The next thing you know, and after the dust settles from this latest exposure that Borack is no more trustworthy & believable than Hillary (Clintons were once press labelled as: Pathological Liars".),...Gimpy and dulicitous clique will likely start echoing another deceitful absurdity.

Yeah, sure? Either Clinton or Obama (or both) will make an excellent Wartime Commander-In-Chief? In your dreams. Excellent FOR WHOM???

Such an obviously insane & illogical deceit daily put forward by The Democrats aside, let's Get Real here for-a-change. If either of such Politically Expedient For Cause PATRIOTS: "Recapture The White House" as planned for their clique,...WATCH OUT! Over a year of SOLELY Congressional Control by Democrats,...should explain what to unfortunately WATCH OUT for. Also, will The UN Flag fly over or under ours at The White House?

Whatever, not only will The U.S. Military en mass be cringing in disgust similarly as did awhile back with Fonda-like War Protester Bill Clinton at the helm. So will all other sane Americans not politically: "Connected" Deceived and/or Duped be disgusted, as well.

Besides, it's just-plain-lethally stupid to hire presidents suspect of intent and whom mostly cannot be believed or trusted doing what best FOR ALL,...and especially during the most deadly war ever DECLARED on America by RADICALLY FANATICAL ISLAM.

Maybe the use of HIGH VOLTAGE Polygraphs during all Oath Takings to The People, might be helpful? Would no doubt whatsoever cut down on Democrat Leaders.

Neil

Last edited by reconeil; 03-25-2008 at 07:17 AM.