The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2008, 12:55 PM

Default The long ride home "Fallen Comrade"

How often we reflect on one article over another. I was touched by this brief caption and felt it deserved more reflection by those of us who know - how this feels. Boats.

Fallen comrade
Posted by Michelle on October 2nd, 2008 filed in Michelle Tan: Notes From Afghanistan |

It’s a ceremony most people will never see – but one that others will witness more times than they care to remember.

Shortly before 9:40 tonight, a fallen American service member began his journey home.

Led by a military police SUV, an open-topped Humvee bearing his flag-draped coffin drove slowly down Bagram Air Field’s Disney Drive. On each side of the coffin sat his brothers-in-arms, men who are mourning the loss of someone who, to them, was closer than a brother.

As the solemn convoy passed by, service members of all services, of all nations, who had lined Bagram’s main thoroughfare, snapped to attention, their right arms raised in a salute, a small but final sign of respect to one of the freshest casualties of this war.

Most witnesses to tonight’s ceremony did not know the fallen service member’s name, or where or how he died. But I suppose it doesn’t matter. Regardless of who it is, every casualty of this war had a family he was planning to go home to, a life he was looking forward to resuming, parents who pined every day for him.

But now, he will be counted among those who will be forever young, frozen in time in service to his nation.

Almost all the people I write about every day and the some of the colleagues I work with every day have felt the pain of losing someone in battle. It doesn’t get any easier.

But our service members drive on, because that’s what they do, and for that, I salute you all.

To the man whose Fallen Comrade ceremony I was honored to witness tonight, may you rest in peace.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2008, 04:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Well I (very) recently fooled around and joined the Patriot Guard Riders. Seems only right to me that the respect shown above is continued all the way to his final rest.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:09 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Darrel joined the Patriot Guard Riders too. Do you know where we can get a flag holder that will fit on a bike or maybe on the trailer hitch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harley.JPG (1.75 MB, 2 views)

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

DJ-

I'm new and looking into the same thing.
Lots of ideas here:
http://www.patriotguard.org/ALLForum...c/Default.aspx
Old 10-09-2008, 01:28 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I found one for me.

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/product...7&cat=0&page=5

Maybe they have one for you.

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/product...8&cat=0&page=5

Or if you want 5 flags...

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/product...0&cat=0&page=5

Darrel