The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2003, 07:12 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default After Action Report, Elk Hunting

Hi everyone, Got back from Elk hunting late Tuesday night and spent yesterday unpacking and cleaning gear. No Luck, of 7 days in the Rockys we had record high temperatures for 5 days and tied the record 1 day. A cool front moved in for the last day but the wind was blowing hard. We went from mountain tops to deep canyons but the Elk were not moving in the heat. In desperation I did kill one coyote. I had a great time with my Son and others. Son and I made a trip into box canyon and West Mancos Canyon, 500 and 900 foot walls where we found a bear skelton. Some of the old growth timber down there was 3 and 4 foot in diameter.
Was watching the weather this morning and it is supposed to Snow there tonight and tomorrow. I am catching up on some of the posts for while I was gone, Good to hear from 39 again.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2003, 07:50 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking UNACTION REPORT

Well you got one the last two years so I guess it had to happen. Pig and deer ain't elk but they will do. Glad your back
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

What is so great about going into the wilderness is you always get a tremendous amount even if you don't get what you went after. I'm thinking of hitting the AT for a week.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:45 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default The outdoors is great

Sitting real still and quiet, I saw several large snowshoe rabbits, They had not turned all white yet and were a mottled grey. Several Mule Deer and lots of wild turkeys. Saw 3 porcupine, The only reason I shot the coyote was that he had spotted me and was circling to get behind and downwind of me. The peace and solitude of the wilderness is a great healer to me.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Pho

During the warmer time, Elk make there bed way up in those old groth pine. When you walk by you should have looked up. Watch out though, when you shoot one in his nest they make a mess comming down.

No, really.

Ron
Old 10-30-2003, 11:10 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Sid

Sorry to hear you came up empty-handed.But like you said,it was still time well spent.Bluebird weather can be good for elk hunting out here in the Pacific Northwest,provided it comes on the heals of a dandy storm.Elk hunting starts here NOV 1.I`m gonna go see if I can find me a deer tomorrow morning-go up to the snow line and catch some big ole mossy horn headed down.

Peace,Griz
Old 10-31-2003, 05:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Sid

Glad you're back, even gladder you had a great time with your kin. That might be even more important than a nice, juicy elk steak!! Anyhoo, missed your posts as well.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 10-31-2003, 06:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Sid its good to see you made it home safe. the last day of general buck deer season was today and I spotted some doe's and made stalks on three different one bedded down hoping a buck was near bye but the rut has'nt started yet but I did do good sneaks on two of them and got within 50 yards before they spotted me . had they been bucks it would have been a done deal I would have shot them when I got within 100 yards .. the rut should start anytime now and we have a 4 day late buck season that starts thursday nov 13th I'll be there then look out Bambi your mine.