The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Not something you see everyday

Relatives of 11 Cubans found at sea in a vintage car converted into a boat awaited word on their fate Thursday, as Cuban-American leaders urged the U.S. government not to send the group back to their homeland.

While the U.S. Coast Guard won't comment on interdictions, Cuban exile activists say the group found Tuesday on a seagoing 1950s-era Buick were still being held at sea until a decision was made on whether to send them home.

The group, discovered 10 miles from Marathon in the Florida Keys, faces a likely return to Cuba under U.S. immigration policy.

After the Cubans were found, the Coast Guard sank the vessel, said Alex Cruz, a spokesman for U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen. The Republican congresswoman, a Cuban exile, requested on Wednesday that the vessel be saved as a piece of history.

The Coast Guard, which used machine gun fire to sink another vehicle-powered barge that tried to reach U.S. shores in July, refused Thursday to confirm the status of the tail-finned Buick.

Pilar Rodriguez, mother of Luis Grass Rodriguez, who helped transform the car into a boat, told The Associated Press she hoped the U.S. government would allow him to enter the country. She said her son has a U.S.-issued visa to enter legally but hasn't been allowed to leave Cuba by conventional means.

"All we can do is wait and hope," said Rodriguez, who arrived in Miami from Cuba last month on a tourist visa and plans to return in May. "He doesn't like the political system there."

Joe Garcia, executive director of the Cuban American National Foundation, said his group had appealed to the U.S. State Department "in hopes they would give some humanitarian consideration" to the group, which includes five children.

The attempt was "a product of incredible ingenuity that is embarrassing to the regime," Garcia said Thursday.

U.S. Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart, a Republican from Miami, has also asked the State Department to allow Grass, his wife and son to enter the United States.

A State Department official declined comment Thursday.

Grass and another man on the boat, Marciel Basanta Lopez, had already failed in a previous effort to reach the United States in a similar vessel.

The two were sent back to Cuba in July after they failed to reach Florida in a 1951 Chevy pickup converted into a pontoon boat. They had been joined by 10 other people on that trip.

Under U.S. immigration policy, Cubans who reach U.S. shores generally are allowed to stay while those caught at sea are usually returned. Immigration officials interview Cubans intercepted at sea to determine if they have a credible fear of persecution at home, but most are still returned.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2004, 07:11 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

David...

Are you teasin?Surely this can't be. This looks like something off one of those e-mails that says "You know you're a redneck if....."

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 02-05-2004, 07:25 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Arrow,
He's not joking. It was on our local news.

Chilidog
Old 02-05-2004, 08:08 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

I thought maybe he was testin' us to see how really gullible we are.Good Grief Charlie Brown say it isn't so. That is just too sad for words.

Arrow>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 02-05-2004, 10:00 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

My vote says to let these guys in.That amount of Rube Goldberg ingenuity must not go unrewarded!

Peace,Griz
Old 02-06-2004, 02:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

from what i saw ontv this is the second time they did this..the first time was in a sea-going 1953 chevy truck. not sure why castro let thenm out to do it again. i wish castro and his cohorts would die and the cuban people could be free...

larry
Old 02-06-2004, 04:17 AM
Doc.2/47

Gotta agree with Griz.They need a ta give those boys a job with NASSA.Give em some decent materals and Nassa's petty cash and we'll be headed back to the Moon and Mars in no time.Probably in late model Dodge RAM 4X4's.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:54 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Good thing for them it wasn't a Yugo.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

It?s reminiscent of the lyrics of a Neil Diamond song. ?On a boat and on a plane, they come to America, everytime the flag unfurls, they come to America, today.? I think I got that right, maybe.

I have to say that it is a good design to not have turned bottom up in the sea. Someone knew what they were doing as the craft seems to have good balance and ballast for looking so top heavy and narrow. It's a pitty the CG had to shoot it up and sink it as it could be an interesting study model for some Marine engineering school.

If those folks get sent back to Cuba it would just seem to be more inconsistency on the part of the INS. I suppose it is a situation of politically visible vs. invisible/politically acceptable vs. unacceptable illegals, I don?t know.

Scamp
Old 02-06-2004, 08:49 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I heard that it's actually stolen from Cuba's 1st Armored Division!