The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > War of 1812

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2002, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default It is interesting to go back in time and watch military developement.

GoldenDragon

Registered to :Aug 22, 2001
Posted 10-12-2001 at 11:10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------
Many government and military offices have changed names down through the years. One that really stands out is the Corp of Engineers which was used as a forerunner for Special Deployment units. The Corp today is responsible for conservation and developement activities across the nation.

At the outbreak of the war the United States had a total population of about 7,700,000 people. A series of border forts garrisoned by very small Regular Army detachments stretched along the Canadian boundary: Fort Michili-mackinac, on the straits between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron; Fort Dearborn, on the site of what is now Chicago; Fort Detroit; and Fort Niagara, at the mouth of the Niagara River on Lake Ontario. The actual strength of the Regular Army in June 1812 totaled approximately 11,744 officers and men, including an estimated 5,000 recruits enlisted for the additional force authorized the preceding January, in contrast to an authorized strength of 35,600. The Navy consisted of 20 vessels: the 3 large 44-gun frigates, 3 smaller frigates of the Constellation class rated at 38 guns, and 14 others.
Congress did not lack the will to prepare for war. In March 1812 it had tried to place the Army's supply system on a more adequate footing by establishing a Quartermaster Department on the military staff in place of the inefficient and costly military agent system. At the same time Congress created the Office of the Commissary General of Purchases in the War Department, and for the first time since the Revolution the Army's supply system was placed under the exclusive control of the Secretary of War. In May Congress had made provision for an Ordnance Department, responsible for the inspection and testing of all ordnance, cannon balls, shells, and shot, the construction of gun carriages and ammunition wagons, and the preparation and inspection of the "public powder." It enlarged the Corps of Engineers by adding a company of bombardiers, sappers, and miners, and expanded and reorganized the Military Academy at West Point. In addition to increasing the Regular Army, Congress had authorized the President to accept volunteer forces and to call upon the states for militia. The difficulty was not planning for an army, but raising one.

(All references courtesy of Britannica.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile Email www Qoute
SgtBlake

Registered to :Oct 18, 2001
Posted 11-12-2001 at 13:20
How does this thread keep getting bumped to the front when no one has posted on it?
-----------------
Sgt G.A. Blake, MARINE, The Title says it all.

Profile www Qoute
KOOL

Registered to :Sep 27, 2001
Posted 11-12-2001 at 13:28
You post a reply, type one letter, submit, click on edit, cancel.
That's how!
-----------------
ANCHOR CLANKER

Profile Qoute
MORTARDUDE

Registered to :Aug 23, 2001
Posted 11-12-2001 at 15:07
Ah but there was a post...brief as it was..
of one icon throwing up on another one...
go figure

Profile Email www Qoute
GoldenDragon

Posted 12-12-2001 at 12:00
Sorry about that. I made this post months ago and it never received any replies. So, I picked it to test some images and when I do, it gets bumped up even though I delete the test.
Sorry.

Please ignore.

Profile Email www Qoute
Paula

Registered to ec 16, 2001
Posted 20-12-2001 at 01:10
Most interesting. I just got the Military record and Pension and Bounty land record for one of the Vets of the War of 1812 from the National Archives....it's interesting reading. Real people doing real things...did you know it had the inventory of his "backpack" as an official record?

Anyway, just thought I'd mention there really are a few people who know and care about that war too.

Paula

Profile Qoute
GoldenDragon

Posted 22-12-2001 at 20:28
Paula

I appreciate that addition. Do you by any chance have a link or URL to the Archives?
Thanks.

Profile Email www Qoute
Paula_

Registered to ec 26, 2001
Posted 26-12-2001 at 22:58
NARA....National trust...it's government run. I'll look it up for you. You have to know the name of the person and a little about them to get the records...cost is about 37.00 for complete file....pension, and bounty land etc...I generally start with REVOLUTION then go for the son's records as well...most of them were old enough to be in that war.

Had a few interesting hours reading the last one I sent for. His signature on it. His widow's, etc. They photo copy the documents. I also got a copy of the requests for the records too! Dated mid 1800's! By other members of my family.

Profile Qoute
usmcsgt65

Registered to :Jan 03, 2002
Posted 05-01-2002 at 14:16
Being a ex-history teacher, I enjoyed telling high school students about the War of 1812. It shaped the country in many ways. It is the war that made U.S. the standard. The colors for West Point. The man who directed and wrote the army manuels that the Union and Confederate forces used during the Civil War. Put a general in the White House, a captain in the governor's mansion of Tennessee, President of Texas, Governor of Texas, and Senator from Texas. Put another Tennessee native in the Alamo and in folklore. The war that nobody wanted, but they could avoid it.[quote] America loves a winner.

Profile Qoute
Keith_Hixson

Registered to :Aug 23, 2001
Posted 05-01-2002 at 15:57
Hey Sarge,

Don't forget the National Anthem was a result of that war.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links