Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2019, 09:25 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question Pelosi's Drug Pricing Plan Fatally Flawed

Pelosi’s drug-pricing plan fatally flawed

By Rick Manning

You’d think Democrats and Republicans in Washington could find a way to work together to help people get the cutting-edge, lifesaving medications they need. Sadly, that’s not the case.

The House is expected to vote on Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s drug pricing bill next week. The bill, titled the “Lower Drug Costs Now Act of 2019 was decried by a White House report this week, which found that the bill would suppress over 100 lifesaving drugs from entering the United States market. This would cause serious harm to American patients with The Council of Economic Advisers (CEA) estimating that this bill, “would reduce Americans’ average life expectancy by about four months—nearly one-quarter of the projected gains in life expectancy over the next decade.”

Furthermore, the CEA estimates the loss of these new drugs coupled with the worse health outcomes for American patients would create an economic loss of $1 trillion per year over the next decade – a loss that far outweighs any projected saving from the bill.

According to the analysis, “Heavy-handed government intervention may reduce drug prices in the short term, but these savings are not worth the long-term cost of American patients losing access to new lifesaving treatments.”

They’re absolutely right. Speaker Pelosi’s drug-pricing plan would require manufacturers of the 250 most expensive drugs on the market to “negotiate” a price cap with Congress, or otherwise face a 65 percent tax on gross sales for the year.

At those absurd margins, drug companies would be paying the government to research, develop and manufacture life-saving treatments—something that is simply unsustainable and would discourage the production of new and better drugs for patients in need.

As the Wall Street Journal editorial board writes, “How many companies do you know with 65% margins? The concept of negotiated prices with government has always been a political ruse because the government has outsize leverage to coerce manufacturers, so at least Mrs. Pelosi is transparent about the thuggery.”

It’s not a cheap undertaking to invest in pharmaceuticals that take years to get to market – if they make it at all—and those who do run prescription-drug businesses operate on relatively thin returns.

What’s more, Pelosi’s drug plan would cap the price of 250 brand-name Medicare drugs using a formula based on the average cost of those same drugs in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom. Yet, patients in these countries have longer waiting times for lifesaving medicines and they lag far behind in medical innovation. Why would we want to adopt their model? It may sound good to adopt the price control model of these nations, but it will seriously harm our citizens.

“We found that, contrary to public assertions, the median time approval for new cancer medicines in the United States was just six months—and that these new anticancer medicines are typically available in the United States before they are in Europe,” says Health Affairs.

This legislation will certainly cause companies to pull back on research and development of new and improved drugs—to the detriment of those in need of new therapies and cures, and to America’s position as the world leader in medical innovation.

The bottom line? Be very wary of these hair-brained Pelosi price-control schemes, especially if you or a loved one is battling a life-threatening cancer diagnosis and the promise of up-and-coming drugs are the only recourse.

For the sake of those we care about most, it’s imperative lawmakers stop these European-style price-control proposals in their tracks, and send a message to Pelosi that Americans deserve better than a botched bill that restricts access to lifesaving innovative drugs.

The author is president of Americans for Limited Government and co-author with Star Parker of the new book “Necessary Noise: How Donald Trump Inflames the Culture War and Why that is Good for America”.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:35 PM

Arrow

I agree HC - this country is money hungry when it comes to medical. I know I've been taken to the cleaners each time I take my wife in to see Doctors. Medicare should also include dental at no extra cost - most old timer's suffer dental issues with no extra money so this impedes their ability to eat the right foods.

Most of us worked our entire lives after the service. But if you don't do 20 years you get min. VA and no dental. Medications cost have sky-rocketed drugs are very expensive and my wife's condition is such that the majority of prescribed medications have are not included in our medication allowances. We have to pay boko monies for most. Plus many have an adverse reaction or side effects.

My belief in Doctors and Drug Supplier's are the ones making the money. Side effects are always present. We see these drug supplier guys and gals in the Doctor's offices pushing their products and giving (I would assume) a kick back to the Hospitals & Doctor's by these suppliers for pushing their products.

I can't prove this but we see many of them in doctor's offices where ever we go. They aren't in there for health reasons they are pushing their products with so called miracle drugs. Get them and read the possible side effects and you end up throwing them away because you so sick now you don't want something that's going to make you worse.
Wife has a very poor ability to take many medications. We had a GENO test which pointed out many products to stay away from. But her condition is not getting any better and she takes them for awhile but ends up stopping them because she feels even worse with many.

It's a catch 22 - I feel bad for her and many other's who suffer from neurological issues because many drugs set off different trigger's making your conditions worse.

Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote