Old 06-28-2003, 05:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Military's Role invaluable in of wake police officer shooting

Military's Role invaluable in of wake police officer shooting
Submitted by: MCB Camp Pendleton
Story Identification Number: 2003627131635
Story by Sgt. James S. Goff

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (June 26, 2003) -- When a former sailor died in the line of duty in his new job as an Oceanside Police officer, current military members touched by his death were there every step of the way to show support.

From sailors trying to revive him at the crime scene and helping with the apprehension of his killer to Camp Pendleton military police who assisted with crowd and traffic control at his robustly attended funeral, the military responded almost from the moment of the shooting.

An Oceanside Police lieutenant called some of those contributions "invaluable"
Perhaps none was more crucial than the role of Lt. Cmdr. Douglas Cosley, a Navy reservist, who sought to expedite the capture of the gunman who killed Officer Tony Zeppetella.

Cosley, who lives in Oceanside, was driving home when he noticed an abandoned police car at Avenida Empressa and Calle Ultimo in Vista. The vehicle was still running and no police officer was in sight. Cosley pulled over and asked bystanders what had happened.

"They said the police officer was chasing somebody. And then I heard over the police radio that a car and police officer were missing," Cosley said.

"When I heard sirens going away from our position, my adrenaline level kicked off. I was standing in the crime scene and I didn't want to contaminate it. So I took copious notes of what I touched, saw and who I spoke to," Cosley added. "I wanted to tell the police officers what they needed to know."

Cosley quickly enlisted the aid of a lady who had been walking her dog and had seen the man being chased. Cosley immediately jumped on the radio to give the police a description of the man, he said.

Other witnesses told Cosley they saw the man run into a nearby neighborhood - his own.
"I continued to use the police radio in assisting the police officers chasing the man. The police were thinking he was headed out to the freeways when I steered them to the nearby neighborhood," Cosley said.

Cosley bristled at the idea of a desperate gunman holed up in a home in his neighborhood.

"I thought about my family, and that this guy could have been hiding in my back yard," Cosley said.

Zeppetella had served in the Navy for six years before being hired by the Oceanside Police Department May 2002.

"It's humbling to see a fellow and former service member fall in the line of duty. He was and always will be a part of our Navy team," Cosley said.

Citing impending court proceedings, OPD Lt. Sheila Potkonjak said she couldn't comment on Cosley's role in apprehending Camacho. But she acknowledged the local military's contribution to police efforts in the shooting's aftermath.

"There were a number of military personnel who were first responders and came to Tony's aid," she acknowledged, adding that the department plans to officially recognize them later.

At the crime scene, Navy corpsmen swiftly rendered aid to Zeppetella but were unable to save him. Later, MPs helped secure the crime scene.

Potkonjak called their efforts at the crime scene "invaluable."

Marines from the Provost Marshall's Office of Security Battalion, assisted at the fallen officer's funeral. Their contributions included two buglers from the 1st Marine Division Band who played "Taps."

"Anytime something like this happens - in the law enforcement or military community - it hits close to home for us here at Camp Pendleton. It was our privilege (to support) the funeral," said Staff Sgt. Joey Pomerleau, staff noncommissioned officer-in-charge of special events at PMO.

"What officer Zeppetella did every day in laying his life on the line deserved honorable recognition. He's a hero in our eyes."

Sgt. Lee Steitz of OPD said the Marines' support of the funeral freed OPD officers to mourn their fallen comrade.

"We were able to keep our people focused on the ceremony. (The Marines) were a tremendous help to us," said Steitz, who noted that many former and current Marines serve with OPD in regular or reserve capacities.

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links