The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Civil War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2002, 10:13 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Oaths of Allegiance, Confederate and Union

Hey y'all I think this topic deserves its own thread since we have all been knocking our heads together to try to find copies of these oaths we have been talking about.

Here is the August, 1861 oath with reference to the "National" government:

"The cadet oath begins, ?I _____, do solemnly swear that I will support the Constitution of the United States, and bear true allegiance to the National Government; that I will maintain and defend the sovereignty of the United States, paramount to any and all allegiance, sovereignty, or fealty I may owe to any State or Country whatsoever?.?

This vow of loyalty to the nation over the states dates from August 1861, when former Superintendent Robert E. Lee and 295 fellow West Pointers had thrown in with their native South. Agonized Lee, ?I have been unable to make up my mind to raise my hand against my native state, my relatives, my children & my home. I have therefore resigned my Commission in the Army & never desire again to draw my sword save in defense of my State.? For choosing Virginia over the Union, Robert E. Lee would be separated from today?s West Point."

Bill

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2002, 01:32 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

I whipped out my cd of the O.R. and thought that I would snap that oath right out, but alas, it wasn't to be. I tried "Confederate oath," "soldier's oath," "military oath," "oath of alegiance," and "constitutional oath," but it wasn't there. I tried just plain "oath," but that generates 1295 hits. Can ya'll think of any other key words to try? Post 'em here and I'll try 'em.

Chilidog
Old 09-02-2002, 04:34 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

chili try oath of enlistment in quotation marks and see what that does.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 09-02-2002, 05:25 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default More oaths

I keep findding everything but what we want. Nevertheless it shows a development of the oath through our history:

Here is Montgomery Corse's oath to the Union. He was a Confederate Officer who once commanded the brigade in which my favorite 11th Virginia Infantry was a part of. I believe the oath reads pretty much the same as today. It was administered to Corse in 1865 after the war.

http://www.alexandria.lib.va.us/lhsc...orse/oath.html

Below is the oath of allegiance for an immigrant when they become citizens.
I hereby declare, on oath. that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and the laws of the United State of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; or that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion: SO HELP ME GOD....

Here is a 1777 oath of allegiance to Pennsylvania.

I______, ________; do swear (or affirm) that I renounce and refuse all allegiance to George the Third, king of Great Britain, his heirs and successors; and that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as a free and independent State, and that I will not at any time do or cause to be done any matter or thing that will be prejudicial or injurious to the freedom and independence thereof, as declared by Congress, and also, that I will discover and make known to some one justice of the peace of said State all treasons or traitorous conspiracies which I now know or hereafter shall know to be formed against this or any of the United States of America."

Cadet's Oath of Allegiance to the United States

Modern Day Academy Oath:

I, ___________, SSAN, having been appointed a Second Lieutenant, in the
United States Air Force, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support
and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies,
foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the
same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation
or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the
duties of the office upon which I am about to enter. SO HELP ME GOD.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 09-02-2002, 05:54 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Bill,
Your suggestion got us the Federal oath. "A" is for folks over 18; "B" is for minors. I saw something just before this that raised another question. I'll post it on a new thread.

Chilidog

Taken from O.R. Series III Vo. II

934. The forms of declaration, and of consent in case of a minor under eighteen b years of age, having been signed and witnessed, the recruit will then be duly examined by the recruiting officer and surgeon, if one be present, and, if accepted, the Twentieth and Eighty-seventh Articles of War will be read to him; after which he will be allowed time to consider the subject until his mind appears to be fully made up before the oath is administered to him.
935. As soon as practicable, and at least within six days after his enlistment, the following oath will be administered to the recruit:
I, A-- B--, do solemnly swear, or affirm (as the case may be), that I will bear true allegiance to the United States of America, and that I will serve them honestly and faithfully against all their enemies or opposers whatsoever, and observe and obey the orders of the President of the United States, and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to the rules and articles for the government of the Armies of the United States. (See Tenth Article of War.)
Old 09-02-2002, 07:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Wow guys, this is starting to get REALLY good!
Bluwhawk/Mike
Old 09-03-2002, 09:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to judyvillecco

I recently taught a class at the University of West Florida and had to sign a loyalty oath which was basically to the US much like our enlistment oath when we joined the military. That's interesting information about my hero Robert E. Lee I had forgotten. Thanks for the update Bill.