The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Nascar in Washington State

State representative are blocking a NASCAR track in Seattle, saying we don't want that kind of people coming hear?
(White trash) and (Trailer Trash) .
Then when asked about Richard Petty, one REP said "you mean the guy who was arrested for DWI"

Richard don't drink, folk's.

I'm sure there are 1 or 2 places that would like to have a NASCAR
track and it's 200,000,000$ a year business. Sure could buy a lot of trailers.

The tracks I have been to are very nice and the people are all friendly and helpful. I believe You could leave a bag of money sitting on your front seat in your unlocked car, in the parking lot and it would still be there when you returned 4 hours later.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2007, 07:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

I is offended by them State Reps remarks about all us Southerns being White Trash and not wanting us to come visit their state and spend our money. Hex they could increase their Wine and Beer sales if enough good ole boys came to visit and learned about some of the Good Beers and Wines produced thare. Plus thare is the Fishin' and Huntin' that can't be beat for Elk and Salmon Their loss not wanting us Rednecks to come and spend lots of Money (BTW Sales Tax pays the bills in WA State since they have no State Income Tax) you would think they would welcome 50 to 100K fans coming there at least once a year to spend lots of Money on Hotels and food and stuff
Old 03-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

JD
50-100K? What ASA race you been to.
Hell Bristol holds 85,000.
Texas last count was 250 thousand for Nextel for one day,
250 thousand people and ruffly $300. each , $100 seat, Food, beer, T-shits, hat, ETC. 300X250,000=$75,000,000. For one day.
Then there was Bush and Trucks. Probably close to 125 million for the three days.
The good old boys from Texas hatted the Nascar people so much they put in more seats and got a second race date. If Washington don't want the date, I'm sure that Texas would love to have a third date.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Ron, The 50-100K was the tourist from out of state coming from Florida and NC State to see the race Like at S.I.R. when they have the NHRA events the locals are counted differently then the Out of state fans. But, I do agree that any track in the circuit would love a second or third race a year. Darlington lost their second race to California to name one track that would like their 2nd race back I think Texas is one of the few speedways not suffering from fans not filling the seats them and Bristol are sold out every time it seems unlike Daytona here lately and California was 20,000 less folks this last race. One of the things I like about Texas Speedway the track is so smooth and fast it scared the IRL drivers and they didn't want to race there because it was Too Fast
Old 03-03-2007, 03:51 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

JD
The reason the track in Texas is like that.
The day of the First race, when the track owners got together with the team owners and asked what they could do to improve the track for the teams. This took place in the infield, Not even the pits, (everyone could see)
The team owners all agreed that the track was to ruff. Turn one had a Dip. When the race was over on Sunday the whole track was torn up, (bulldozers were on the track before all the fans left). (I was in Turn one) .
The pit area were changed also as with the Garage area.
That kind of commitment to the team owners and track only makes the experience better for the fans.
Ron
Old 03-03-2007, 04:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Ron,

The main reason that the track is being blocked is: 1. NASCAR wants the state to pay for the track. 2. NASCAR won't guarantee a major race in the state of Washington.

I agree, NASCAR is rich enough let them build their own track. I also agree that if you want the state to put out that much money you must have some sort of guarantee.

If NASCAR wants to come to Washington let them pay their own way. They own tracks in most of the other states why not here in Washington?

I was against the Sea Hawk and the Mariner Stadiums being sponsored with public money. It in my opinion is wrong. Professional sports should pay its own way! I'm against the track for philosophical reasons. I'm not against sports.

Some unfortunate remarks were made, but this time I agree with the decision.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:47 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Kieth the proposal by the International Speedway Corp. last year was shot down and thats when the bad blood began. Thats when the track was going to be put north of Seattle. A new group has different plans for west of Seattle across Puget Sound.
These plans are going threw.
Nascar doesn't own the track. Nascar is the sanctioning body that puts on the race at the track. Nascar has a long term commitment to all it's track owners for the site and the dates of the races nascar puts on.
The people that are working on the new track site are the auto racing development and promotion company based in Daytona Beach, Fla. They work with local developers and even city and county developers to ensure a very nice and environmentally friendly environment that compliments the surroundings. I don't think anyone would want to ruin Puget Sound.

The track in Washington will most likely happen and with no new taxes and Grant Lynch, who is the project leader for International Speedway Corp has said that "This project carries its own water,"
The International Speedway Corp. owns 11 tracks.

Kieth hears a little ISC background for ya .

International Speedway Corporation (ISC) . The company is the top motorsports operator in the US, with about a dozen racetracks that host more than 100 auto racing events annually. Among the tracks it owns are Daytona International Speedway (home of the Daytona 500), Talladega Superspeedway, and Michigan International Speedway. In addition, ISC owns 37% of two other Illinois tracks, the MRN radio network, and the DAYTONA USA theme park and museum. Chairman Bill France Jr. and his family own 35% of the company and control about 60% of the voting power. The France family also controls NASCAR. ISC earns about 85% of its sales from NASCAR events.

Ron
Old 03-03-2007, 07:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Ron,

If the track happens it won't be publically funded and that is the way all sports should be.

Keith
Old 03-03-2007, 07:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post My Philosophy on Publically Funding Sports.

1. If professional sports can't make it without public sport, let it die.
2. If professional sports wants public funding let them decrease the salaries of sport stars down to a reasonable level. I don't believe millionaires need welfare.
3. If professional sports want public funding let them lower their ticket prices.
4. Football, basketball, auto racing, baseball, golf, tennis or whatever sport didn't make America Great. It was the common individual that made America Great. So let's give the tax dollar back to the people.

Now having said that:
I enjoy sports. I think participating in sports is good for grade school, high school and college students. But do we really need professional sports to the extent that tax monies help to support them? I think not.

I am not against NASCAR Ron. But they need to pay their own way, and that is what the controversy is in the State of Washington. The Sonics, Seahawks, and Mariners have all had their stadiums built with public funds and it was wrong. If Seattle didn't have them, Seattle would still be a great city. And that goes for all cities in the USA. We don't need professional sports we as a nation can live without overpaid, sniveling athletes. I'm all for March Madness (College Basketball), College Football, etc and professional sports is okay also but let them pay their own way!

Keith
Old 03-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Kieth
no new taxes.
"This project carries its own water,"

You must have read those statements in my above post.

and I agree sports should not be funded by taxpayers, Unless the taxpayers are now Part owner. An investment in your city's future is a good Idea for taxpayers of that city. But to fund a sports place just for the tax revenue it MAY bring in, is questionable.