The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2009, 09:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Colorado Residents Concerned About Flammable Water

HUDSON, Colo. -- Hudson, Colo., resident Renee McClure said she couldn't believe it when her son turned on the kitchen faucet then held a cigarette lighter next to the running water -- the water ignited.

The phenomenon is affecting at least three homeowners in the area, now they want to know why.

"We were shocked," McClure told Denver TV station KMGH. "My horses and animals drink it. My kids drink it. I want to know if it's safe." Representatives from local natural gas wells said methane gas was found in the water.

Stephen Flaherty, of Noble Energy, said some methane gas is naturally occurring in the aquifer, but that tests show the methane in the water at that home was not natural.

Other energy companies have offered temporary housing for families in the area.

Environmentalists said the flammable water points to the need for effective regulation of the oil and gas industry.

“This isn’t an isolated incident by any means,” said Gavin Clark, of Environment Colorado. “Our reports tell us there are about two dozen, if not more, similar incidents of oil and gas drilling not only affecting people’s drinking water but health in general.”

Clark gets no argument from McClure, who said she had no idea methane was naturally occurring in the area until after she and her husband bought their house three years ago.

She said her safety questions go beyond just drinking the water.
When asked if she felt comfortable using tap water to extinguish a small kitchen fire, she shook her head, threw up her hands and said, “Exactly, that’s one of my questions too.”

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links