Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2005, 01:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Default GITMO and Charlie Daniels

An alternative view...

The Straight Scoop from Charlie Daniels

"I've just returned from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba Naval Air Station base where we did three shows for the troops and toured several locations around the post visiting with some of the finest military personnel on planet earth. The kids seemed to really enjoy the shows and especially liked "This Ain't No Rag, It's A Flag" and "In America". We had a great time with them.

We saw Camp X-Ray, where the Taliban detainees are being held only from a distance, but I picked up a lot of what's going on there from talking with a lot of different people.

The truth of the matter is that this operation is under a microscope. The Red Cross has an on site presence there and watches everything that goes on very closely. The media is not telling you the whole truth about what's going on over there. The truth is that these scum bags are not only being treated humanely, but they are probably better off healthwise and medically than they've ever been in their lives. They are fed well, able to take showers and receive state of the art medical care. And have their own Moslem chaplain. I saw several of them in a field hospital ward where they were being treated in a state of the art medical facility.

Now let's talk about the way they treat our people. First of all, they have to be watched constantly. These people are committed and wanton murderers who are willing to die just to kill someone else. One of the doctors told me that when they had Taliban in the hospital the staff had to really be careful with needles, pens and anything else which could possibly be used as a weapon. They also throw their excrement and urine on the troops who are guarding them. And our guys and gals have shown great restraint in not retaliating. We are spending over a million dollars a day maintaining and guarding these nasty killers, and anyone who wants to see them brought to the U.S.A. for trial is either out of their heads or a lawyer looking for money and notoriety. Or both.

I wish that the media and the Red Cross and all the rest of the people who are so worried about these criminals would realize that this is not a troop of errant Boy Scouts. These are killers of the worst kind. They don't need protection from us, we need protection from them. If you don't get anything else out of this soapbox, please try to realize that when you see news coverage much of the time you're not getting the whole story, but an account filtered through a liberal mindset with an agenda.

We have two fights on our hands, the war against terror and the one against the loudmouthed lawyers and left wing media who would sap the strength from the American public by making us believe that we're losing the war or doing something wrong in fighting it. Remember these are the same people who told us that Saddam Hussein's Republican guard was going to be an all but invincible enemy, and that our smart bombs and other weapons were not really as good as the military said that they were.

They also took up for Bill Clinton while he was cavorting around the Oval office with Monica Lewinsky while the terrorists were gaining strength and bombing our Embassies and dragging the bodies of dead American heroes around the dusty streets of Somalia. It's a shame that we can't have an unbiased media who would just report the truth and let us make up our own minds.

Here I must commend Fox News for presenting both sides much better than the other networks. They are leaving the other cable networks in the dust. People like being told the truth.

Our military not only needs but deserves our support. Let's give it to them.

The next time you read a media account about the bad treatment of the Taliban in Cuba, remember what I told you. Been there done that.

Footnote: I got an e-mail from a rather irate first cousin of mine the other day who has a daughter who's a lawyer and she seemed to think that I was painting all lawyers with the same brush. Please understand that I'm not doing that at all. That would be like saying that all musicians were drug addicts. There are a lot of good and honest attorneys out there. I happen to have one of them. But it seems that they never get any airtime. It's always the radicals who get their opinions heard, who fight the idea of the military tribunals and cite The Constitution and the integrity of America as their source of justifying their opinions. Well, first of all the Constitution says "We the people of the United States", it doesn't mention any other country.

And secondly as far as integrity is concerned, I don't think some of these folks would know integrity if it bit them in the posterior.

What do you think? God Bless America."

Charlie Daniels
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2005, 05:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Great words from Charlie , Always enjoy reading what he has to say and God bless him too
Old 06-24-2005, 06:52 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

What Jerry said......

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 06-25-2005, 12:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

I was noticing, as has happened before in various ways...

Last night I was watching out of the corner of my eye the JAG program on TV... the theme was about a Muslim US Army CID soldier who had gotten roughed up by MPs at GITMO, something like that...

Anyway, I didn't see the whole story, but as happens a lot, even the TV drama programs take on these topics and try to do some politics with them... as if what we hear (and do NOT hear) from the media weren't enough.

Putting the two together (media plus TV dramas) with shenanigans in Congress plus the incessant pollsters polling every songbird with trick questions and one begins to see the full picture of just exactly HOW massively organized the opposing propaganda actually is.

What is most troubling to me today, as it was 35-40 years ago, is that the other side is SO determined to degrade the presidency and opposing party, that they are thinking very very little about these realities of combat and sacrifices here at home either one.

Some folks just do not seem to get the understanding that those outbursts do a lot of very very serious damage to our people and our efforts.

There is the thought that one can "support the troops" by standing behind them exaggerating... while most troops feel that they stand BESIDE their CINC, and from all I can tell, he feels the same about them... so does the SecDef.

I believe most Americans know exactly what the words "in time of war" mean... and, for what precious stupid little I can do here at home to lend a hand at such a time, I am not going to let up on the nay-sayers one iota.

I just do not care how much or how little of their assertions about the war are accurate... because to the people who have to deal with war in person, none of it makes one damn bit of a difference on a daily basis.

This entire Republic could falter for all I care about politics, but Americans need to get the concept that there will be plenty of time afterward (centuries, if that is what they want) to debate the fine points.

I am especially disturbed when combat Veterans find it necessary to forget what it was like. You suit up, follow the lawful commands, and do the duty as best one can. Free speech is fine and good, but it alone does not take down any enemy.

Right now, those kids and everyone here at home in our comfy Starbucks cups, need most of all to be steadfast and unified.

After the 175,000th time of hearing the same criticisms and "informed analysis" by arm chair warriors, there just is zero point in doing anything except fighting THEM back too.

We are in a World War of unheard of proportions. This is not another "Police Action" philosophic boundary dispute in some remote Asian nation. So, once more when we get, as we surely will again, to those names on The Wall, all the "debate" is hollow comfort to anyone.

There ain't gonna BE any DMZ in this one...