The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2006, 06:31 AM

Keith and Arrow I have to agree. We all know the words and you don't have to be a Priest or Pastor to know they are not acceptable. Sure when we are in tight spots and with our own under those circumstances the vocabulary does change - more so under stress or duress.

I feel today we have to set examples for kids who are hearing this language way before their times. On the street I hear so many poor English diction being used it's terrible.

I've sworn sure and I know the words. I try not ever to use the Lords name in vain. Even when making mistakes I apologize even when no ones around. I'm not perfect and I sure can swear if one provokes me under certain conditions. That's not my brain engaging that's something altogether different.

Sure many have seen and been tough spots and saw and done some terrible things - but being able to recognize these issues and moving on will help.

Trying to keep ones adversarial emotions from engaging can be tough. I can look beyond such things for awhile but am disappointed when one continues to use such language I then have a tendency to believe this person has had a short or poor education.

I've learned many things the hard way and being a street kid in Chicago and walking the fine line between gangs and moving on into something else wasn't easy.

Life hasn't always dealt a good hand in this family and we've had our share of losses and pain. But in my house like Keith's and Arrows we try to respect those around us and not make them uncomfortable or intimidated by aggressive non-compliant verbiage.

Hey Guy's and Gal's I love you all like Brother's and Sister's and I know where all of you are coming from. I know where a few of you have been and we all know that this world wasn't perfect in many cases. But we are examples to other's who will follow us so being the statesmen and women we are - we should pause and reflect on what we say and just we say it.

Not all will change but some may and your kids and grandkids will know it - mine do.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2006, 07:54 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Boats,

Your story is an inspiration to me and always has been. I've got a tremendous amount of respect for your life and work experience. I grew up in chaos and had the exact opposite experience of Keith. I married a man that had a mindset like yours. He had control of hisemotions andI felt more secure in that environment than at any time in my life.I was never as good at it as he was and can still hear him saying to me when I'm being a smart mouth "Do you know how that sounds coming out of your pretty mouth?"

I appreciate what you and John were trying toget us to understand. I know you both are not aiming your remarks at the conduct of men under fire or the retelling of their experiences expecting to find some polite society therebut atday to day exchangesover disagreements aboutthings thatare just notworth the level of anger thatwe sometimes display.

Thank you,

Arrow>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 05-12-2006, 08:11 AM

Arrow you give yourself little credit - don't do that regardless of the situation. You must always stand tall and hold your head high. Don't put your spouse or me on pedestals because there are things you don't know about me and maybe him.

Man or woman is not perfect and we all make mistakes in one way or another. Only being able to know when you've done wrong are you capable of learning from it.

Don't be so critical of yourself - you are a good woman with a fairly good representation and I judge you by your threads and you kindness to others. I've always said what goes around comes around and I believe it.

I'm not perfect and I have flaws and I know it and I work on those each day. It's too easy to fall into the old ways and in turn loose all the respect each of us tries to build upon.

My wife is great and I love her but she too (like me can be a pain in the butt) and sometimes we all say things that we later regret and that takes us into another path of which doesn't apply to this thread.

All I know is that I try each day to be a little bit wiser than I was yesterday. I try to bring down my stress levels so that I don't loose control and say or do something later I know I will regret.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-12-2006, 11:06 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Just some thoughts....because we can.

It?s an optional communications method that may or may not be appropriate, depending on audience or prevailing norms or speaker desire. The speaker has to judge the appropriateness of it all and the audience then gets to judge the appropriateness as well, and that is always the downside risk. Where the speaker uses too much of it, about all that is communicated is some sense of happy, mad, sad or glad, maybe, but probably little else.

In my experience military expletives tend to be mixed in with other unique expressionism and mostly non-recognizable to the uninitiated. One I?ll never forget was the expression for a real committed goof-off, as it were, an ?Ethiopian Jug F**ker?. Do Ethiopians have a thing for jugs? Heck, I have no idea, but I reckon some salty barnacle figured they did. :re:

The expression ?Curse like a Sailor? is used a lot, but in comparison to oil patch Rough Neck drilling crews, Sailors are like freshly scrubbed alter boys at High Mass. Setting and pulling, setting and pulling drill pipe, over and again against a schedule would make anybody crazy and of limited but very colorful vocabulary. So I think there are culture and work place aspects as well. I never met up with a Lady Rough Neck but I understand there are some now, so maybe some of the linguistic expressions have been altered, but maybe not. Tough bunch, them Rough Necks, yikes. :ek:

And man O?man, my lawnmower got some new names the other day. After 17 years of faultless and faithful service, my Craftsman mower busted a drive wheel gear shaft; how dare it, eh. But it wasn?t phased at all by the new names, just sat there waiting for a replacement shaft to be installed, then carried on in the usual faultless manner.

Scamp
Old 05-12-2006, 11:37 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Thanks for the laugh Scamp, and here's one from recent memory. The first time I spoke with Annette (Andy's wife) she was using some very colorful terms to describe the bumble-bums that first treated Andy. Andy was in the background telling her to watch her mouth because (get this) "People in Oklahoma don't talk like that"! You know that had me laughing out loud! I loved it.

Arrow the Innocent

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 05-12-2006, 01:05 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Don?t know what to say Sis, but virtually all the oil patch Rough Necks I have met originate from Bartlesville, Oklahoma, or Beaumont, Texas.
Seems to be a birthright or law of some sort working. But then I reckon there are no drilling rigs on Walden?s Pond, so they wouldn?t know of such things or ways of things.

And that?s all I have to say about that.

Scamp
Old 05-12-2006, 05:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Many Years Ago

15 or 20 years ago I was taking a flight in a commercial plane. This guy sits down beside me and starts a conversation. He used lots of "unnecessary words" then he asked me my occupation. I told him I was a Pastor. He apologized for his swearing. I said, "that's okay, you see I'm not one to judge anyone, but God hears it all and He is the one that does the judging." We had a nice trip and we had a good conversation and he found out that one can communicate without cussing. I never judge an individual. I never try to correct their cussing unless the behavior is out of line in a public place. Getting angry and letting off steam is normal but we don't really need to have every other word a cuss word. My family knows when I'm angry or frustrated but I don't swear very often and by most standards I don't swear at all.
But, I don't go around trying to lay a guilt trip on everyone else.

Boats thanks for your input.

Keith
Old 05-12-2006, 07:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sis,

What you just said about Andy....is pure ANDY! Lord how we love that man. Think we all need to get a grip here except for Curtis....who's obviously lost his.

Curtis...common man....we were all trying to make points for why we cuss...but your post was....well....stupid and gross. Nuff said.]

I cuss from lack of vocabulary and to get my point across. My daddy and mamma never cursed. Combat, I curssed! big time...but when I do it now it's a stupid choice...but it's me choosing to be stupid, but I think with the respect from my brothers and sisters who say...."well...it's Pack...we'll let it ride." I just think that when I get a bit "ignerent", I have a comfortable place to do it.

Pray for Andy...

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 05-12-2006, 09:56 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I say certain words because I hear em all the time. BUT I also get my butt almost kicked for other words. My generation is a potty mouth generation. I know all have always cussed to some extent. You should hear some of the things my coworkers say to there parents. Makes me want to slap them myselfs!

I say more things than I should. I do it because pretty much lazziness or conformity but those reasons in themselves are stupid I guess.

Now my grandparents I wish would stop usin certain words....that can be mighty embarrasing. All the family from Watonga cuss allot too for some reason.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by Paco Sis,

Curtis...common man....we were all trying to make points for why we cuss...but your post was....well....stupid and gross. Nuff said.

I cuss from lack of vocabulary and to get my point across. My daddy and mamma never cursed. Combat, I curssed! big time...but when I do it now it's a stupid choice...but it's me choosing to be stupid, but I think with the respect from my brothers and sisters who say...."well...it's Pack...we'll let it ride." I just think that when I get a bit "ignerent", I have a comfortable place to do it.

Pray for Andy...

Pack
Fixed Paco.

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by SEATJERKER ...,
the4 f***in' reply box don't come up quick enough,...

F*** You,...

"so they were "f***ing screaming", does that make it sound any more """"worse""""" then it already was,...

"Deal with it",...

There is always someone else that has dealt with something worse,...
Ain't nobody locked and loaded here Curtis. I've been shot at too but "That was yesterday and yesterday's gone."